No images in ATV app on Cello Android TV

CBers

CBers

@ebr I have just set up the ATV app (Stable release) on my sister-in-law's Cello Android TV (which runs Android 9), and connected it to my server.

It plays content fine, but there are no images displayed, anywhere.

I have checked the server logs and there are no errors.

When logged into the Web Client on a laptop at her house, her account displays all images just fine, so I am assuming something with the TV.

Have you seen anything like this before?

Thanks.

CBers
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Can you also try the beta of the app?  It has some longer timeouts for image loads.

OK, will give that a try. 

Thanks. 

• 1 year later...
CBers

@ebr I was at my sister-in-law's over the weekend and updated all of the apps on her smart TV (Cello Android TV) as well as the TV itself, but noticed that there are still no images displayed, anywhere, in the ATV app.

Playback is fine, but no images.

I was limited on time, so couldn't do much investigation, and as she wasn't that bothered about the images, only playback, I left it as it was.

I have attached the server log for around the time her user (user 3) authenticated.

I don't recall anyone else running the Emby ATV app on a Cello Android TV, so not sure if it's just the TV restricting the images.

The TV has the latest Beta version of the ATV app installed, v2.0.87g.

She has a pretty good internet connection, as do I, otherwise playback wouldn't work.

Edited by CBers
Removed log file.

CBers
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Is it possible she is connecting to your server via IPv6?

Checking the details in the activity log on the server, it does look like an IPV6 connection. 

2 hours ago, CBers said:

Checking the details in the activity log on the server, it does look like an IPV6 connection. 

Okay, then that is the problem.  The image library used in the Android TV app cannot handle IPv6 with a specified port.  That is a small enough use-case that the library creator has not bothered to address it.

• 4 months later...
CBers
On 06/06/2023 at 22:10, ebr said:

Okay, then that is the problem.  The image library used in the Android TV app cannot handle IPv6 with a specified port.  That is a small enough use-case that the library creator has not bothered to address it.

@ebrI finally managed to get back over to my sister-in-law's house.

I tried everything IPV6 related to get the ATV app to show the images, but nothing.

I believe the internet provider she has uses IPV6 as the WAN address.

However, I managed to install the standard Android app and that showed the images immediately.

So although she is happy she can now see images, is there any way the ATV app can be updated to use the same library that the standard Android app does please?

As the standard Android app isn't in the Goole Play store as yet, she'll never get updates to it, unless I go and update it manually, which isn't going to be possible for a while.

The ATV app auto updates, so if you could use the same library, then it doesn't matter that the standard Android app gets left behind.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, CBers said:

is there any way the ATV app can be updated to use the same library that the standard Android app does please?

Afraid not.  The standard app is a completely different UI framework whereas the TV one is native Android.

CBers
29 minutes ago, ebr said:

Afraid not.  The standard app is a completely different UI framework whereas the TV one is native Android.

So nothing you can do then?

1 hour ago, CBers said:

So nothing you can do then?

Well, nothing we're willing to spend the necessary resources on at this time.  

CBers
30 minutes ago, ebr said:

Well, nothing we're willing to spend the necessary resources on at this time.  

Well can you get the standard Android app in the Play Store Android TV devices, even as a beta, so that she'll get future updates please.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CBers said:

Well can you get the standard Android app in the Play Store Android TV devices, even as a beta, so that she'll get future updates please.

HI, yes we will be. Thanks.

CBers
7 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, yes we will be. Thanks.

Thanks, but when?

Are we talking days, weeks, months?

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, CBers said:

Thanks, but when?

Are we talking days, weeks, months?

Ideally weeks, not months.