Recommended player hardware

warrencalvert

warrencalvert

Hi

My Windows PC running Emby Theatre has finally died after many years of reliable service.  So I'm, looking for a replacement and wondering what hardware recommendations anyone  has for Emby Theatre?

My preference is still for Windows but would consider looking at alternatives such as Nvidia Shield or Roku.  What's considered the best Emby player platform these days?

Thanks,
Warren.

GrimReaper

I'd say majority of power users' choice here would be Shield Pro with Android TV client app. If you prefer to stay with Winows, I suppose any NUC (8-th gen or up) with ET would serve the purpose just as well. Both would give you some future-proofing. 

• Agree 1

warrencalvert

The Shield Pro certainly looks good.  The only disadvantage I can see is that my HTPC had a 3rd party screensaver app that only runs on windows.  My photos are on an SMB file share and the key feature I need for the screensaver app is to only display photos rated 4 or 5 stars.  If its possible to do this on a Shield I'd go for it.  Slightly off-topic but does anyone know if this is possible?

CBers
6 minutes ago, warrencalvert said:

The Shield Pro certainly looks good.  The only disadvantage I can see is that my HTPC had a 3rd party screensaver app that only runs on windows.  My photos are on an SMB file share and the key feature I need for the screensaver app is to only display photos rated 4 or 5 stars.  If its possible to do this on a Shield I'd go for it.  Slightly off-topic but does anyone know if this is possible?

Where do your photos come from, where they are rated? 

I have several Nvidia Shields and use the  PhotoGuru Media Player app, which has many options, although I'm not sure about the rating of photos, but you could always contact the developer, as he's always open to suggestions. 

warrencalvert

Thanks for the suggestion, it doesnt look like PhotoGuru can do this but I've emailed support.

Star ratings are an industry standard attribute contained in the EXIF metadata, so any app should be able to read these and filter accordingly. 

I just havent found one that does it yet on Android TV.  Unfortunately, gPhotoShow which I currently use and has an incredible amount of functionality is Windows only.

clarkss12

"Photo Gallery and Screensaver" is what I use.  Not sure about ratings settings.  I paid for the gallery and screensaver.