Movie art downloads & language question/issue

ophiuchia

ophiuchia

My movie library is formatted according to the 'simple' naming scheme as outlined in
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming
However, movie art is available only if I select a preferred metadata/image download language in the library settings [and I have selected English].

Is there a way to select the native language of the movie? .. or select the language by movie [also manually, e.g. in the filenames]?

Also, some movies don't have English art and it won't show (the TMDB and IMDb are generated correctly, e.g.
https://www.themoviedb.org/movie/47188-dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde
Is it possible to enable/allow art from other languages if the primary language is not available?

Many thanks

• Like 1

However, movie art is available only if I select a preferred metadata/image download language in the library settings [and I have selected English].

Hi there, can you please go over a specific example? What do you mean by "movie art is only available" ?

Happy2Play

Unfortunately, since there is no English image Emby does not fallback to any other language.  I believe Emby currently falls back to English when set foreign language images.

image.png.fb4ace821386c5c83849abfdac03e046.png

Emby would need to have a configurable fallback language when selected language is not available.  Would have to look but discussed in multiple topics.

But would need to see a server log to see the actual query.

&include_image_language=en,null

But I got image from Secondary image provider OMDB.

?i=tt0340083&apikey=fe53f97e

ophiuchia
18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, can you please go over a specific example? What do you mean by "movie art is only available" ?

I need to select the following in the library to get movie art/images

image.png.558bd73f8c0d90bf74af46b3c16fb85e.png

ophiuchia
17 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Unfortunately, since there is no English image Emby does not fallback to any other language.  I believe Emby currently falls back to English when set foreign language images.

image.png.fb4ace821386c5c83849abfdac03e046.png

Emby would need to have a configurable fallback language when selected language is not available.  Would have to look but discussed in multiple topics.

But would need to see a server log to see the actual query.

&include_image_language=en,null

But I got image from Secondary image provider OMDB.

?i=tt0340083&apikey=fe53f97e

I have tested this and I can confirm that it works when enabling also OMDB in the library settings. Thank you!

I still think a fallback language would be great, i.e. any image is better than none :)

Tangsgod

@Luke and please, add the possibility to choose a different language for the titles and the synopsis, i'm sure a lot of Emby users use the English titles (international) and their own language for the synopsis.
That would be a great step forward for non english users

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
14 hours ago, Tangsgod said:

@Luke and please, add the possibility to choose a different language for the titles and the synopsis, i'm sure a lot of Emby users use the English titles (international) and their own language for the synopsis.
That would be a great step forward for non english users

Don't see how metadata provider would like that as you are double the query now for multiple languages.  And would make scans even slower as you have to throttle the requests as I know TMDB has a request limit.

Tangsgod
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Don't see how metadata provider would like that as you are double the query now for multiple languages.  And would make scans even slower as you have to throttle the requests as I know TMDB has a request limit.

Well, I can't say how, but I just now that it's possible, because this is how my plex server is set.
In fact it is set so, as a result I have Poster:  "original poster" , Title: "original title" Synopsis "French language"

crusher11

An option to default to "set language plus language of default audio track, if different" for images would be great. If I have a foreign-titled release, I have to pick "all languages" to get the right artwork to show up, but then I also get drowned in all the other languages that aren't either English or the original language of the title in question.

• Agree 1

Tangsgod
2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

An option to default to "set language plus language of default audio track, if different" for images would be great. If I have a foreign-titled release, I have to pick "all languages" to get the right artwork to show up, but then I also get drowned in all the other languages that aren't either English or the original language of the title in question.

I agree with that :)

I think between the half and the third of my movies/series librairies are not from US/English language so, with actual Emby settings possibility people in that case have to edit manually a big part of their librairie manually. 

With more and more new clients with english and foreign languages, it should be important for accessibility to Emby, to have the possibility to choose differents languages in the metadata settings. 

visproduction

If a feature populates the title field with language, of choice, then only the title of the movie is updated.  The foreign language audio dub, if any, can be left alone.  Then you have media with say an English title, with the main video dubbed in French and the film description also in French, for example. 

If you then try to update the Metadata, are the media descriptions based on the title language and would that cause the description to change to English?  Is that a concern?  If it's only a one time flip from French title of the media to the original English title, why would there be a double search to update metadata?

It seems like the request is a feature flag to update selected videos to original or English title names.  Once this feature runs, you are done.   Did I miss something?