Inconsistency in picture size

Tsch3ns

Tsch3ns

I have the following problem with my private holiday video collection.

I am running Emby Premiere on my Synology 918+. In parallel, I am working with Kodi and Synology Video Station is running as well. From Kodi I have images named

name_of_video-thumb.jpg

name_of_video-fanart.jpg

And furthermore for Synology:

name_of_video.jpg

This causes some inconsistencies with Emby:

1) name_of_video-thumb.jpg is taken over from Emby as "preview" (German: Vorschau), and the format (1:1.5) is not the correct one for that. The "preview" is shown whenever I dont finish a video in order to continue watching, and this is NOT shown in 1:1.5 format as it is for normal movies, but in a very broat format. Looks ugly.

2) name_of_video.jpg is taken as "primary" which is also not fine since "primary" should be 1:1.5, but for synology video it is a broad format, approximately 4:3 or 16:9. WHen I upload another primary, the previous name_of_video.jpg is erased and will be missing in Video Station.

Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Regards,

Tsch3ns

Edited by Tsch3ns

Have a look at our naming guide.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

What you'll see is the graphic such as name_of_video.jpg is considered the "primary" image while other fill a particular function.
When images are missing, Emby Server will try to make use of other images that are present if it can.

If you would like to go over a specific example or two please feel free to post a couple screen shots as well as the files in the folder.

Tsch3ns

Check the difference between the movie Doomsday and the 2 home movies. By the way: nowhere in the documentation I found so far the role of the „Vorschau“  picture is described. I can find all the others (primary, banner, etc.) but not Vorschau. Obviously, for my home movies the Vorschau picture comes from the „nameofvideo-thumbs.jpg“.

72CB4DA3-7A3E-4087-9930-9066CA160F3D.jpeg

CD55C343-212A-49A3-9AB7-537FEDBD2426.png

7EC77904-C9CA-4DCD-B38A-A16BE8347EA8.png

Hi, that's the thumbnail which can be set as the view instead of the poster. Here's an example using that:
image.png.7ee68beabd5fdeae4f2b49fd16472333.png

3 dot menu in movies using the view option.

Tsch3ns

Dear cayars,

I know that I can change the images with the 3 dot menu. However, when I change the "Vorschau" (preview) to another file with correct aspect ratio for emby, emby erases the existing "file name_of_video-thumb.jpg". But Kodi need exactly that one as "preview"!

Obviously, there is no way to have Kodi and Emby at the same time installed without this issue.

Tsch3ns

Not sure I follow.

Is the "file name_of_video-thumb.jpg" a proper file with dimensions for a thumbnail?  If not that could trigger Emby to pull a new image that is in the proper format.
A lot of people use both Emby and Kodi together and I've never heard of the problem before when images are the correct types per name.

Tsch3ns

file name_of_video-thumb.jpg“ is in landscape format since it is a private video in my collection in Synology Video Station. For some weird reasons for the pre-defined „Homevideos“ in Synology Video Station the video thumbnails have to be in landscape format.

I just realized that when I create my own „Home Video“ group and do not use the one provided from Synology, the video thumb previews are in portrait format, this should be the way to go to keep Synology, Kodi and Emby compatible.

• Like 1

The main graphics of most movies these days are usually posters while the main graphics for shows are landscape.