synology DSM 7 upgraded and emby 7_4.6.7.0_x86_64 downloaded

SeekingWisdom
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

SeekingWisdom

i upgraded to DSM 7 and package center said my emby version was not compatible.

I uninstalled emby.

I downloaded emby 7_4.6.7.0_x86_64.spk from the emby download area

It seems I need to set everything up again.

I am at the step where I need to add a folder (for my tv shows) - so I clicked on the "Folders +".

There is a big text box under "Folder:" and beneath the text box is a scrollable box with what I assume are the valid selections.

I first selected "/volume1" and then "EmbyMedia".  At this point the scrollable box disappears.  However, if I click in the empty text box "/volume1/EmbyMedia/tvshows appears and I selected that which then appeared in the text box.  I know that this is the correct path because if I use Synology "File Station" and right click properties on the "tvshows" folder it says Location: /volume1/EmbyMedia/tvshows".

After putting "/volume1/EmbyMedia/tvshows" in the text box I clicked the big green "OK" on the bottom of the "select Path" page in emby and it says "The path could not be found.  Please ensure the path is valid and try again.".

I attached a screenshot of this page for reference.

I dont' know what to do at this point.  The old DSM 6 emby version worked fine for months .

I need help and please by specific if you offer suggestions (i.e. don't assume I know something as I probably don't).

Thanks in advance,

emby1.jpg

SeekingWisdom

I did see that and one step says to do what he says before installing DSM 7.  I violated that so i assumed it did not apply.

I didn't know I would have this problem and didnt' search for an issue first.

@cayars

@SeekingWisdom If you like we can do a remote support session with you and have a look.

As long as your original DSM 6 version of Emby is intact at /volume1/Emby (or wherever it was installed) we should be able to help you do the migration remotely. We would be happy to assist you this way.

I'll send you a private message on this and we can set this up.

Carlo

PS: PM sent.

Edited by cayars

• Solution
FrostByte

It looks to me like all the OP needs to do is set the shared folder permissions making sure to click the dropdown box and choosing "system internal user".

permissions.thumb.jpg.6e284dc3fffff9773f1e8e3a9f8b4ef5.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

SeekingWisdom

Thanks for all the replys.

I made the change suggested by FrostByte and now everything is working!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for all those that replied.

I will add that to get to the screenshot that FrostByte shows you go to control pannel and select "Shared Folder".  In the Shared Folder screen you select "EmbyMedia" and then click on Edit.  On the page that then shows up  "Edit Shared Folder EmbyMedia" you select "Permissions" and change the default "Local users" to "system internal user" as FrostByte directs which will give you the same display in his snapshot where the change must be made.  I mention this as it took me a while to figure out and maybe it will save others some time.

After this was done in Emby I ran scan media library and thumbnail image extraction and scan metadata folder (under manage emby server/advanced/scheduled tasks).  After running the scans my tv shows showed up and the thumbnail images showed their images.

There is one thing that does not seem to be "back to the way it was".

I have a library of old time radio shows which I put into a library which I called "Music" because that was the closest of the available options (there is no video just audio like music would be). I also selected that the arrangement is that all the content is arranged with album in the music folder and the content of each album in the album directories  The files are mp3 files.  The majority of these files do not have embedded images and after doing some searching I found a post that said emby will take use an image if placed in the directory with the audio files and name it "folder name".jpg.  "folder name" is the name of the folder the audio files are in.  So, for example, if you have a show "Sherlock Holmes" and put them in a folder named "Sherlock Holmes" you name the file "Sherlock Holmes.jpg".  Emby then uses that image as the thumbnail for the folder the shows are located in.  In the last version of emby all of the images were displayed when I selected the music library and then "Folders" view.  However, currently 2 of the 9 shows show the "generic" thumbnail.  I have included a screenshot of this.  It turns out that the 2 missing thumbnails are the only ones that had embedded images (i.e. there is no "folder name.jpg" in the directory.  For some reason emby doesn't get the embedded images like it used to.  Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

emby2.thumb.jpg.2e4f2858fa2ee1c299f9551f35e751f8.jpg

• Like 1

SeekingWisdom

ok - i did I did the library scan again and the missing thumbnails for the old time radio showed up!

I notice that Babylon 5 which was being broadcast on a local Comet channel but is not currently has no thumbnail info and it used to.  It is the only recorded show that I have that is missing this info.  Is there something I should do to restore those?

I also have a question on recording a TV series.

The only way I know how to do this is to find the show in the guide, click on the show and select record series.  Is there another way to do this without finding it in the guide?  A couple of the shows are currently not being broadcast (at least not in the 14 day guide window that I have).  Thus I don't know any way to be able to have there series recorded.

First thing I would do is check to make sure it's matched correctly to the series.  You may need to override one time.

See if that fixes things for you.  If it's the correct series and year, see if you can just update the missing graphics.

SeekingWisdom

I believe the name is correct.  It is the same as it was in the previous version of emby (before this last update) and all the episode and season graphics were present then.  I have included a screenshot so you can see what I am talking about (currently).  Perhaps there is something there that you would notice.

image1.jpg

FrostByte

For the most accurate results I find it's best to follow the name used on thetvdb which would be just "Babylon 5" in this case

Babylon 5 - TheTVDB.com

Edit: they don't tend to use the year unless there are more than one show with the same name.

\tvshows\Babylon 5\Season 1

etc

Edited by FrostByte

SeekingWisdom

FrostByte - did as you suggested and reran scans and now the images are back.  The only show I had a problem with in the past was "Magnum" because there are two different series - the current one and the old one and both are being broadcast.  In that case you had to have the date with the name.

Anyone any comments on the recording series question?

I also have a question on recording a TV series.

The only way I know how to do this is to find the show in the guide, click on the show and select record series.  Is there another way to do this without finding it in the guide?  A couple of the shows are currently not being broadcast (at least not in the 14 day guide window that I have).  Thus I don't know any way to be able to have there series recorded.

image3.jpg

Edited by SeekingWisdom

SeekingWisdom

It would be nice if you could specify a name and it would tell you when it is in the guide or just schedule it to be recorded (as a single occurrence or a series).  If the only way to record is to see it in a guide you must continually check (remember to check) for the show until it appears which is tedious and prone to error.  NCIS is currently in "off season" and won't appear for many weeks for example.  You might ask what if the name never matches?  Then you won't get an alert or the program won't be recorded.  The only problem I see is if the program appears in multiple channels.  Even that is ok - just set all occurrences to be recorded and then when you see what is happening you can turn one off.  That is easier than continually checking for it to appear.

In fact what I have described above is how it works once you have set up a program to be recorded currently.  If the show goes off it stops being recorded and then starts again when it resumes.  All that is currently missing is the ability to be able to set up the recording when the show is not in the guide.

Edited by SeekingWisdom

OK so recording just based on the name. Yes that kind of feature is planned for future updates. Thanks.