Does not play certain streams in Chrome, but on Chromecast w/gTV

sondereggerlukas
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

sondereggerlukas

Hey guys,

got a playback problem and I don't know, where to start to find it... perhaps, there is someone out there who might help me.
Playback of mkv files on Chrome, latest stable version, won't start at all, it just appears a black screen (no background image) with the spinning circle - ends about 10 seconds later.
Same file played on a Chromecast with google TV will start immediately. Also on my Pixel 4a the stream works like a charm.

So I just wonder if Chrome wants to have the file transcoded and Chromecast won't?
My Synology DS214+ is quite old and perhaps this is the matter of fact, that the NAS is just too slow?

Emby Server: 4.7.0.22 beta
Synology: DS214+, 2 Core ARM v7, 1024MB RAM
Chrome: latest stable, 64bit, does not work
Edge: latest stable, 64bit, sound works (in video muted), but image is creepy, see attachment.
Pixel 4a with emby client: works perfectly

Thanks
Lukas

2022-01-30 18_26_07-NAS.png

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-d3247289-a22c-4dc4-b12b-019d6a200c82_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-26284b5c-960b-47ec-99ed-7a5cb6385877_1 (1).txt

Hi, it's rather a pain getting MKV containers with h.265 working in browsers as it's easily broken with different updates and works differently depending on OS loaded.

What OS are you running?
What specific browser versions do you have?

If Windows, do you have the HEVC Video Extensions installed?
If so, what version?

Do you have any h.265 players installed from the Chrome store?

sondereggerlukas

Hey cayars,

thought about that and just checked it.

Win 11, Version 21H2 (Win Home)
HEVC is installed, published from Microsoft, Version 1.0.42091.0

I did not install any h.265 players/addons in Chrome at all.

Edited by sondereggerlukas

• Solution

It looks like your server just can't transcode this quickly enough to be playable.

What I would suggest is try playing files that can direct play in the browser without transcoding. You can also try using our emby theater desktop app for windows that can direct play a broad range of formats without transcoding.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks 

sondereggerlukas

Hey Luke,

thank you for having a look into this.
Theater Desktop App works fine, but due to I only have local files to stream, this is not the right solution for me as the Theater needs an Emby Premiere account.

Hang in there....
Lukas

That's a tough one as you either need to use a player that can natively handle the codecs and playback on it's own like Theater or need run Emby Server on a hardware platform that is powerful enough to transcode the streams you can't play in certain clients.  The only other thing that can be done is to pre-convert all media to a central format you know will be able to playback on all clients using something like an mp4 container, AVC/h.264 video with 2 channel stereo output in mp3 or AAC format.

Have you thought about using the NAS just for storage but running Emby Server on a PC in the background?

sondereggerlukas

Hey cayars, 

had this idea to run the server on a nuc and keep the slow NAS just for the storage - I think, this will be the project for my next vacances...
or I will buy a newer NAS 🙂

At the moment, the internal users are able to get the files correctly via the player on Chromecast or Emby for Samsung TVs, just the guys
who wants to access externally have to buy newer hardware or get an Emby Premiere account.

Cheers
Lukas