Some Extras stop playing after a few seconds on Roku

tgoodchild
Go to solution Solved by tgoodchild,

tgoodchild

On Roku, some Extras stop playing within a few seconds (0-10 seconds but most stop within 1 or 2 seconds). The movie itself plays fine.

The Extra's that won't play on Roku play fine on the Emby web client.

I could not find an ffmpeg log.

I have attached a embyserver.log. that shows attempted playback for the Extra "Beware the Baron" on Roku, which stops after a few seconds, and on Emby web which plays to completion. This is just one example. I have reproduced this with extra's for several different movies, but it does not affect extra's for all  movies.

I am using:

Client: Roku Ultra (4800X) Software version 10.5.0 build 4208-C2

Server: Emby 4.6.4.0-3001 on Synology DS1520+ running DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

embyserver.txt.zip

thunderclap

I can confirm this is happening, however it’s also happening in Plex, so both on Roku are having an issue with the extras. I’m going to experiment with the folder names as well as file names and see if that fixes the problem. I’ll let you know if that fixes anything. 

thunderclap

I think I figured out the problem. The extras that stop within a second or two are 480i. If the file is 1080p or higher it plays fine.

tgoodchild
On 1/30/2022 at 10:32 AM, ebr said:

Can you please play that item until the problem occurs and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

Thanks.

@ebr

I was just able to get back to this.

I enabled debug and sent the log on 5 Feb 2022 at 10:48 am ET, username is Alex.

Thanks!

Edited by tgoodchild
Added @mention

tgoodchild
1 hour ago, mbuhmann said:

I think I figured out the problem. The extras that stop within a second or two are 480i. If the file is 1080p or higher it plays fine.

@mbuhmann

I just checked an Extra that won't play for me and according to ffprobe it is 1080 progressive.

Thanks!

thunderclap
1 hour ago, tgoodchild said:

@mbuhmann

I just checked an Extra that won't play for me and according to ffprobe it is 1080 progressive.

Thanks!

So it’s not just 480i, it looks like 1080i won’t work either. I’m mainly testing the special features off the new Ghostbusters collectors set. Anything progressive works, anything interlace does not.

Update: Turns out that’s not entirely true. There are a couple 1080p extras that won’t play either. It’s really strange how some stuff works and others don’t. Can’t pinpoint a pattern yet. 

Edited by mbuhmann

8 hours ago, tgoodchild said:

@ebr

I was just able to get back to this.

I enabled debug and sent the log on 5 Feb 2022 at 10:48 am ET, username is Alex.

Thanks!

*** Player state changed: finished

The Roku player thinks the item is finished.  Try remuxing one of them to be sure the headers are correct.

• Like 1

• Solution
tgoodchild

I remuxed with ffmpeg

ffmpeg  -i old.mkv -c copy -map 0 new.mkv

And it now plays. The original file played with the emby web client and vlc so Roku must be finicky about something.

Is there a way to force Emby to remux certain files when played so I don't have to remux them myself?

Is there a set top box that works better than Roku? This is at least the 3rd time Roku barfed on something that plays fine on everything else.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tgoodchild said:

Roku must be finicky about something

Yes, the Roku player demands that all that header information is correct.  Other players are more lenient.

@tgoodchild has this helped? This situation can't be detected automatically because based on the media info these files look like they should direct play, it's just that the Roku player ends up having trouble with them.

thunderclap
5 hours ago, Luke said:

@tgoodchild has this helped? This situation can't be detected automatically because based on the media info these files look like they should direct play, it's just that the Roku player ends up having trouble with them.

I can’t speak for tgoodchild but the command he provided fixed the clips I was struggling with. 

Edited by mbuhmann

tgoodchild
16 hours ago, Luke said:

The one I remuxed plays now. I expect it will fix the others. Thanks for your help!

• Thanks 1