Simplier and nicer "Version" choice

Tangsgod
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

Tangsgod

Hi!

After 2 years using Plex and being more and more desapointing I decided to give Emby a try :)
Also, Plex devs are not really listening to their users while i heard that the Emby team is closer to his users. Let see :)

I would like to share some things that I found usefull/better in Plex and that may be introduce or change in Emby.

Today I wanted to talk about how 2 or more versions of the same movie could be display.

First, in Plex, when 2 versions (for instance a 1080p and a 4K) of a same movie is found, they are automaticly put under the same movie poster while in Emby it has to be done manually by selecting the 2 versions and click on "grouper les versions" in french, I suppose it's "join the versions" in english. 
I would say, the Plex solution is better
Then when it is the moment to choose the version of the movie, in Plex we have to go to the "Plus" option, then to "Play the version" then choose the version. The choice of the version is simple then, it's just  written 1080p xxxxmb/s or 4K xxxmb/s. Here in Emby changing the version is much easier, directly under the synopsis, it is great!  What would be even greater, is to keep it simple as you do for the audio tab and the subtitles tab: 

Video:  - 1080P
             - 4K HDR10

I hope that what I said make sense , thank you :)

Here is what I'm talking about:

InkedCapture d’écran 2022-01-25 215220_LI.jpg

• Solution
GrimReaper

Hey up, 

and wecome to Emby. 

Both of your requests are already implemented but depend on your folder structure/filenaming. 

Check out KB article, Multi-version section:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

In short, if you put all versions of your movie inside a single folder and name them in supported naming convention, with everything after "space-dash-space" being what you want to see in the dropdown, you'll get what you're describing. 

If you keep them in separate folders, then you have to join them manually or use Auto-grouping plugin.

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

Tangsgod

Well, thank you! 
It took me 30 minutes to write the subject I didn't think that I would have such quick and clear reply :)
I just tried it and it work perfectly!

I'll see if tomorow I'll have another idea to propose, just to find out it exist already 😄

• Like 3