no subtitles in the latest app

Philou66

Philou66

Hi,

With the last update that I did a couple of days ago, no subtitles show, in any of the movies or TV shows that worked previously.

I tried to update the TV, reinstall the emby app on TV, and update the server (it's running on a raspberry pi), nothing worked.

Any clue on what might be happening?

Philou66

Hi, and thanks for your answer.

I'm quite confused, because I tried this test file : https://github.com/ietf-wg-cellar/matroska-test-files/blob/master/test_files/test5.mkv

and it worked (the subs show properly)

Then, I tried to extract a part (1 minute) of the the movie that fails, with mp4splitter (to be able to share it here for testing) and... it worked!

But, I double checked with many TV shows and movies that I have on my NAS, none of them works (In emby, I select the subs, either before or during the show, but no subtitles are showing)

And, I have movies that I'm sure worked previously, and the subtitles do not show anymore.

If I watch the same movie through the DLNA client integrated in the LG OS, it displays the subtitles. (i.e. there is no pb with the MKV file itself)

If I open emby from a web browser on my PC, the subtitles work. (there is no pb with emby server)

It seems to be a problem of playback in the LG TV app, but I can't figure out why some test files work, and most of the movies/tv shows that I have don't work!

Could it be a problem only with large files ?

Emby server version : 4.6.7.0

Emby app on LG : 1.0.31

Edited by Philou66
add versions of server+client

Philou66

I just also tried to forbid transcoding in the user settings, in cases some transcoding messed things up, but it did not change anything. The files play as expected (audio + video) but without subtitles...

Hi, can you please provide the information that I requested previously? That will help me be able to answer these questions. Thanks.

Philou66

Hi,

Here attached the log file.

Some specific examples that don't play subtitles :

Don't.Look.Up.2021.MULTi.1080p.NF.WEBRip.x265-SceneGuardians

La.Casa.De.Papel.S02E01.MULTi.1080p.WEB.x264-CiELOS

embyserver.txt

Philou66

Hi

I've re-enabled this option (which I deactivated to try solving this subtitle thing). It is the same.

Any info I could grab to understand why some files do not show subtitles in emby and some others do, whereas with the dlna server playing the same files I have the subs in both?

Hi

I've re-enabled this option (which I deactivated to try solving this subtitle thing). It is the same.

Now that you've done this, can we please see the server log from a new example? Thanks !

Philou66

Hi,

from this test after a fresh reboot of emby server & the TV, only "don't look up" is failing to show the subtitles.

All other files play the subtitles correctly.

Something is strange, as I'm sure that many other movies failed previously. In the meantime, I've changed the subtitle font size in the TV from "large" to "normal", I don't know if it can play a role there ?

embyserver(2).txt

As a test, can you try deleting this folder

/var/lib/emby/cache/subtitles

and then see if that helps? Thanks.

Philou66

Hi,

I ran this

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/emby/cache/subtitles

on the raspberry server, restarted emby and tried a new playback of the same movie.

It didn't work, still no subtitles sorry 😪

embyserver(3).txt