Setup new server, multiple issues

SanguineWren

SanguineWren

Hello - long time Emby user here, first time server admin (former flatmate had a server which I used, I liked it, so I decided to get my own Synology)

I've installed the emby docker, made a container, and have my server up and running - got through all of that without issues.

As soon as I started importing media, a few issues I'm immediately faced with

Couple of issues I'm immediately faced with. 

1. The first movie I put up had a nice clean load, full metadata, pics, cast/crew, no issues....

but, the first TV show episode I put in, wasn't even visible at all when I went to go try and access it. I've played that file and know that it loads fine, it's an .mkv of a popular TV show, about 388 MB, no problems playing the file directly from .vlc media player. I've tried deleting, re-downloading, and re-adding the file to the server, as well as manually re-scanning the library and folder in the server manager UI, no change.

2. The first music I uploaded DOES appear in Emby, but has no metadata of any kind, despite having an .nfo file in the folder with all the tracks. I've gone into advanced settings, made sure to choose that as my metadata saver type, re-scanned, and tried changing the artist/album organization option, and saw that did take effect, but still not seeing the metadata.

3. Tried setting up remote connectivity to my server using this article https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002137137-remote-setup

"Verify Public IP and Port

To test these open a browser and visit canyouseeme.org.  The IP you see listed here must match what Emby shows on the dashboard.  If it doesn't remote access will not work and likely your ISP is using CG-NAT and you are blocked from running services.  In this case visit our forums for assistance.

If the IP address matches the next step is to enter the PORT (8096 or 8920) to test on canyouseeme.org. If it succeeds your Emby Server should be working remotely.  If this test fails you should re-check the setup mentioned above. If you have any issues please visit our forums for assistance."

I've verified the IP address matches what I see on canyouseeme.org, and is on the correct port, everything is up to date, but test to port 8096 is failing on canyouseeme.org, which led me here.

Help plz?

image.png.c8f744e98f7778c809ca605838373d20.png.38e4e57ce579a85384a1dbc703e549a6.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png.2c497c6ddbc25aac0bd788b517e49334.png.2161465de1ba69dac6b993a33be32446.png

Edited by GrimReaper
Hid public IP

but, the first TV show episode I put in, wasn't even visible at all when I went to go try and access it. I've played that file and know that it loads fine, it's an .mkv of a popular TV show, about 388 MB, no problems playing the file directly from .vlc media player. I've tried deleting, re-downloading, and re-adding the file to the server, as well as manually re-scanning the library and folder in the server manager UI, no change.

Hi there, how did you setup your TV library? How are your files named and organized?

2. The first music I uploaded DOES appear in Emby, but has no metadata of any kind, despite having an .nfo file in the folder with all the tracks. I've gone into advanced settings, made sure to choose that as my metadata saver type, re-scanned, and tried changing the artist/album organization option, and saw that did take effect, but still not seeing the metadata.

Hi, are the tracks tagged with id3 values containing artist, album and album artist? That's where this information gets pulled from.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:42 PM, SanguineWren said:

image.png.2c497c6ddbc25aac0bd788b517e49334.png.2161465de1ba69dac6b993a33be32446.png

Hi, Did you setup port forwarding for 8096 on your router pointing to your Synology IP address.

Edited by cayars

• 2 weeks later...
SanguineWren
On 1/22/2022 at 9:46 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, how did you setup your TV library? How are your files named and organized?

Hi Luke - thanks for the reply, and sorry for my delayed response - this is sorted. The error was silly; my library directory for the TV Shows folder was wrong. Once I fixed that, files and metadata pulled in fine. Also, I am amazed at how many comments you've made in this forum over the years, and how responsive you are. Top notch work.

SanguineWren
On 1/22/2022 at 9:48 PM, Luke said:

Hi, are the tracks tagged with id3 values containing artist, album and album artist? That's where this information gets pulled from.

Hi again @Luke- this was a really good callout. I knew what metadata was, but with song tracks, I know it's often a bit more dicey. After educating myself about some metadata searching programs, I found MusicBrainz Picard https://picard.musicbrainz.org/ which I used to scan my audio files (it also has a nice option to manually add album art, if you've got a really obscure artist who doesn't show on auto scans but you have album images.) After that, this worked fine.

SanguineWren
On 1/24/2022 at 10:54 PM, cayars said:

Hi, Did you setup port forwarding for 8096 on your router pointing to your Synology IP address.

@cayars Yes, the remote address works now via IP.

• Like 1