Dolby Vision

Nuitarius
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

Nuitarius

I write Dolby Vision, as this is my bias for what is the trouble I am having at the moment :)

Let me back up a bit and explain:
I ripped Dune (2021) as 4K incl. DV and Atmos. I have several other movies as 4K and Atmos that work very good.
So when I started Dune and got black screen but audio stream, I guess I have jumped to the conclusion that DV as the culprit.

Correct me if I am wrong.

So... The question is, why is my movie not working as expected?

Here is extended info on the video part of this rip:
Video
ID                                       : 1
ID in the original source medium         : 4113 (0x1011)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 2 h 35 min
Bit rate                                 : 59.8 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.300
Stream size                              : 64.9 GiB (94%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 787 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 239 cd/m2
Original source medium                   : Blu-ray

It states that the HDR format is indeed Dolby Vision.

As I am using Nvidia Shiield as playback device, I also tried to swap out the Shield with my Oppo BD-203, so that it had the same cable path, Pre/pro, tv and the disc.
Playback works as expected.

I have ruled out all other devices in the communications path other than the Shield/Emby. I am running the sideloaded version of Emby on Shield, due to other issues I have had with the official Android TV version.

I have also tried playback on PC (VLC player and Emby) that does not have HDR capability and the playback worked as expected.

Can someone help me out with what I can do to get this up and running?

Edit: I have done some more testing.
Firstly I have attached the log for my Emby that does not have functioning picture. I have read the log, but am not profficient enough in deciphering whether this contains any information that could lead me to a fix.

I notice too that if I jumped 1 minute in to movie then playback freezes. I could jump back 30 seconds and then the audio continued. Forward again it freezes. But then I changed audio stream to AC3 (that I always rip too) and now I could jump more freely without the stream being frozen when jumping forward. I then opened stats for nerds, and then the app froze completely and the app reacted only to stop button but crashed back into Shield OS.

Second. I still have the official android TV version of Emby both on my LG tv and the Shield. Both of these will start the movie with functioning picture. Although it will only activate HDR and not Dolby Vision on the TV. So these work only partially.
I have sent the log from android tv version too via "send log" in app. User Nuitarius and sent at approx 08:10 utc-5

embyserver.txt

Edited by Nuitarius
More info

FrostByte

There is a problem with the current version of the sideloaded standard/mobile Android app and Dolby Vision movies that also contain HDR10.  Several threads about it.  Everything from a black screen to it not triggering HDR on non DV TVs and coming out SDR. 

rbjtech

Zero issues here playing Dune 4K Remux with DV and True-HD Atmos.  I have not used the DTS-HD Track so can't comment on that.

I have however (as I do with all my Remux's) changed the Audio track order and used the AC3 as the 'Default' track - thus I have remultiplexed the tracks - this may or may not make any difference.

This is with the latest Beta of the Android TV App on Shield Pro, using a Denon AVR to passthrough the Video to an LG C8.

FrostByte
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

You guys are using the TV app and he is using the standard one.

Correct, but DV is broke in the standard app right now and he mentioned he tried ATV also and couldn't get it to work either.  So, maybe we can look at that too

1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

and couldn't get it to work either

Not really - he said it was using the HDR layer, not that it wouldn't play back. 

FrostByte
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Not really - he said it was using the HDR layer, not that it wouldn't play back. 

Although it will only activate HDR and not Dolby Vision on the TV

But if ATV doesn't activate DV for him and it's working for rbjtech and others then he's having a problem no one else is having isn't he?

• Agree 1

rbjtech
5 hours ago, Nuitarius said:

Second. I still have the official android TV version of Emby both on my LG tv and the Shield. Both of these will start the movie with functioning picture. Although it will only activate HDR and not Dolby Vision on the TV. So these work only partially.
I have sent the log from android tv version too via "send log" in app. User Nuitarius and sent at approx 08:10 utc-5

embyserver.txt 609.67 kB · 2 downloads

You can try using File playback  .. oh no wait .. scrap that .. 🤬

• Haha 1

Nuitarius
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I think we've had multiple reports of issues with that particular title...

5 hours ago, FrostByte said:

There is a problem with the current version of the sideloaded standard/mobile Android app and Dolby Vision movies that also contain HDR10.  Several threads about it.  Everything from a black screen to it not triggering HDR on non DV TVs and coming out SDR. 

Thanks for the feedback

Known issue it seems. Sorry that I did not find the other thread about it. Thank you for the link.

I did further testing. The shield will not recognize Dolby Vision capability it seems. I will have to look into this. If anyone knows something, please let me know. I have checked all the available custom resolutions and none of them have "Dolby Vision ready". And as I know my Pre/Pro and Oppo can get DV to work, so should the Shield.

I also ran Dune through MrMc on the Shield and it activated the HDR layer as the ATV version did.

But lets put Dolby Vision aside a bit, until I get the Shield to do my bidding. Can we look into getting the standard Emby app to play the file with the HDR layer as the ATV version does? Or do we know of some method to rip movies lossless without the DV layer but keep the HDR layer? This will at least buy me some time to figure out how to get the Shield to detect DV readiness.

• Agree 1

rbjtech

Simply put, DV works just fine on the Shield with the AndroidTV App.

By the looks of the mediainfo above, this is a single layer DV with the correct profile and layers incl the option for HDR Only - so 'should' work.

Edited by rbjtech

FrostByte

What version of the ATV app are you running?  The latest stable is 2.0.48 and the latest beta is 2.0.64.  Both should trigger DV profile 7 like the one you posted above.

Nuitarius
9 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

What version of the ATV app are you running?  The latest stable is 2.0.48 and the latest beta is 2.0.64.  Both should trigger DV profile 7 like the one you posted above.

The ATV version is 2.0.48g
The standard app is 3.2.32

Nuitarius
9 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Looks like your server is updated also.

How about SE9.  Did you load that?

Pardon my ignorance. SE9? :)

• Solution
FrostByte

Sorry, Shield Experience 9.  Big update to Android 11 that just came out.  There was also a hotfix to SE9 which fixed a lot of things.

I also presume your Shield is a 2019 model.

If everything checks out then you may need to send internal app logs to the devs because it should work with ATV

Nuitarius
3 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Sorry, Shield Experience 9.  Big update to Android 11 that just came out.  There was also a hotfix to SE9 which fixed a lot of things.

If everything checks out then you may need to send internal app logs to the devs because it should work with ATV

Ah Shield Experience 9.... Gottcha :)
Yes the Shield is fully updated, as is my Pre/pro (Marantz AV8802A) and LG tv (OLED 65 B9). HDMI cables are all 48gbps certified DeLock for 4K 120Hz/8K 60Hz

I also did a test with Shield directly into TV with new HDMI cable (same type). No Dolby Vision.
I startet Netflix on LG tv app and here Netflix prompts me with DV logo on streams and activates DV fine. But this is not available on the Shield Netflix app.
So I am certain that the issue with DV is not Emby related, but Shield related.

And you now say Shield 2019 model. I am fairly certain that mine must be older than 2019. But I can find nothing on Nvidias HP that states that there are inferior models that do not support DV? Are you telling me that some models do not? Are you aware of a list of limitations for pre-2019 models?

Nuitarius
12 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Found one. Oh dear me.

The Shield is the culprit of why DV is not working.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1572334437

Sorry for inconveniencing you guys. And thank you for the help.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Okay, ya you will need to upgrade your Shield to 2019 in order to get DV working and then your movie Dune should be fine. 

In the meantime, just continue to use ATV and you should at least get HDR.  The standard Android app will need to be fixed so that it doesn't black screen on DV files

Edited by FrostByte

Nuitarius
1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Okay, ya you will need to upgrade your Shield to 2019 in order to get DV working and then your movie Dune should be fine. 

In the meantime, just continue to use ATV and you should at least get HDR.  The standard Android app will need to be fixed so that it doesn't black screen on DV files

I have a couple of issues with ATV that is forcing me to use the standard version (PGS subtitles and FLAC audio).

I also find the standard version to be a lot more responsive in general, which I also like.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Roger. PGS subs should work in ATV (they do for me) but I can't say one way or the other about FLAC as none of my movies have that codec (just my music).  I tend to use one for music and the other for movies myself as neither seems to do everything I need right now.

• Like 1