All songs have gone missing

TheShanMan
Go to solution Solved by TheShanMan,

TheShanMan

My entire collection of songs is now missing from Emby. I don't listen often via Emby so I have no idea how long they've been missing (perhaps months). I can browse folders but once I go into artist -> album, nothing is listed, nor is anything listed in other views. Metadata Manager shows all the folders but nothing within them. The files are still present on the UNC share, and accessible from the windows machine with the same user account Emby runs with. I've tried doing rescanning from within Metadata Manager and that didn't seem to help.

I saw a topic about how Emby now relies less on folder structure and more on tags, but my mp3's are all tagged (title, artist, album, album artist, year, track, genre) by mp3tag.

What do I need to do to get them back?

Edited by TheShanMan

TheShanMan

I do them fairly regularly but I did it again just for kicks and no difference. I'll have a look at my log file to see if there's an exception or something. As an aside, the description under Scheduled Tasks -> Scan Media Library has a misspelling: "metatata".

• Solution
TheShanMan

Well the log file was certainly revealing. It said all the individual folders were missing. I don't recall why, but I set up my music as a symlink to the UNC share rather than just using the UNC share directly and somehow (Emby?) the symlink got converted into a real directory and it filled that directory with the directory structure of my collection with no files except nfo's. I recreated the symlinks and rescanned, and my songs are now present in Emby. Weird... I probably should do away with the symlinks but why did the old ones get messed up like that??? I really don't think it's something I ever did but I also can't back up a claim very well that Emby did it.

Just want to reiterate the misspelled "metatata" I mentioned above so that doesn't get glossed over. Certainly a trivial issue but also trivial to fix I'm sure. 🙂