Playback Error after changing MyCloudPR4100 from OS 3 to OS 5

KellyEmby

KellyEmby

My family has been using an app on Roku?  What App do I need to connect a Roku remotely... the same one?  Except I would connect to Emby Connect Server using the Remote IP address of the server... along with "http://"

My remote connection is over 130 miles away, so I want to get this right.  I was there yesterday trying to get it working but was unsuccessful.

KellyEmby

I have a 2nd router here, do you know if I can connect it to the main router to be able to test if I have setup Emby Connect correctly?  Or should I go find a friends house to test it?

2 hours ago, KellyEmby said:

Both servers are showing the same Remote IP address, is this normal?

Are they both on the same local network? If so then yes, because the remote address is your router's remote address. If you want two servers on the internet they can share the same address but you'll just need to setup different public ports for one of them.

12 hours ago, KellyEmby said:

Both servers are showing the same Remote IP address, is this normal?

Now I have lost it again... I will have to work on this later.

Thank you.

@cayars

Got it @KellyEmby?
You would set one of the Emby servers to use ports 8097 or some other number than the default 8096.
After restarting the server you changed the port on you would go into your router settings and configure port forwarding of 8097 to this machine.
Also check to make sure port 8096 is pointed at the machine you haven't changed.

Now you can access either server externally (assuming everything else is set properly) by changing from 8096 to 8097 for the port used.

KellyEmby

Hey Thanks!!!  I can do that. 

When I change the port will I need to do anything with the apps using that Server?

This also makes it such I can figure out connecting with a VPN when connecting remotely, the VPN has been turn off while working through this issue. While trying to sort out this problem I read comments about VPN causing problems and some of the fixes for that. The main fix, I believe, was to have the VPN set a "static port" for the remote connection.  I am using NordVPN if that makes any difference.

KellyEmby

The other thing that keeps giving me fits is "Enter Network Credentials" which make me copy from my wife's computer to my computer (both on the same LAN) to be able to add it to the Emby Library... if you know this fix, please, please, let me know.

1 hour ago, KellyEmby said:

The other thing that keeps giving me fits is "Enter Network Credentials" which make me copy from my wife's computer to my computer (both on the same LAN) to be able to add it to the Emby Library... if you know this fix, please, please, let me know.

What do you mean "Enter Network Credentials"? Where is that? We don't have such a prompt like that in Emby Server.

KellyEmby

Luke,

Sorry. You are right it is a Windows thing that has been getting in the way of me being able to get files to my Library's that I had hoped you (being VERY much smarter then me about networks) might be able to point me to a direction to figure this out. Sorry, it was quite a bit off topic, but got in the way again this morning.

Back on topic again.  I have tried so many different things, where do I go to find out who (what names I tried) I have made Emby Connection for or does it really matter?

KellyEmby

I have been trying to get Emby Connect to work outside my area.  I have tried several different name combinations trying to get this working.  I have read/tried so much that I think I am confused about Setting Up an Exterior Connection. I a few minutes ago I found again the Sign Up web page (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/register/), on my PC when I click Display Name the various Names are displayed... that was what I was looking for ... it is now bookmarked!

About the original blog request: WD must have just recently provided an update to there OS 5 that lets you see on their Dashboard that the Server is INDEXING so you will know why it isn't working right yet.  Things seem to be working, but I have not been able to get the exterior connection testing to work right.

I have a question about the dual servers an changing the Port Number:  I see two port numbers 8096 and 8920, should BOTH port numbers be changed or only the first one?

By The Way:  I have converted the family to EMBY, they Love It!

Thank you.

@cayars

If running in unsecured mode only the 8096 port need be changed as the 8920 wouldn't be used.
But if you would like to change them both on one machine there is no problem in doing that and would be good from a consistency standpoint.

Before even touching or messing with Emby Connect you really need to have external/remote access working correctly which will normally mean setting up port forwarding properly on your home router.  In your case that will be at least 2 ports, one to each server.

If you're having trouble getting this configured correctly, hover over my avatar to get the popup box, then click on the message link to send me a private message.
Let me know you're requesting a remote support session and we'll take it from there offline.

Carlo

KellyEmby

Thank you for all the wonderful help!!!!!

For others that may be having a similar problem with "Playback Error..." after changing your WD MyCloud from OS 3 to OS 5... WAIT until it finishes INDEXING (WD will look at EVERY file, so this can take some time).  It also seems that WD provided an update that lets you see in WD's Dashboard that the drives are indexing, etc  (I did not see that before).  I also had a couple of other issues that made for a real mess involving ports because of 2 servers & a VPN that I thought was turned off (you also need to exit the app).

This process has been worth it as Emby is providing my family with good access to our media.

I consider this problem closed. 

The Emby Support Team has been WONDERFUL!!. Thank you.

• Thanks 2

KellyEmby

I was told that it is okay for me to mention that Cayars remoted in and gave me a Very Big Hand with the remote setup.  Do you Hear the Cheers, Clapping and Hoorays coming from me!!.

Thanks.

I setup reserved IP addresses in the DHCP tables on the router so the NAS and PC running Emby Server would have fixed IPs and quit changing addresses.
We then changed the ports used on the PC to 8097 and 8921 so the two servers had unique ports to use for port forwarding which was then setup.
So now both Emby Servers are available remotely.

• Thanks 1