Emby Server Automatically Shutdown From Time To Time

EasonSunFZ
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

EasonSunFZ

NAS Info:DSM 7.0.1-42218 / Synology DS418 (ARM)

Emby Info:Server Version 4.6.7.0-3001

My Emby Server automatically shutdown ( maybe crashed? ) while I am not home and not using any Emby apps. It happened about 4-5 times in the past month. And every time I have to  boot Emby Server manually in the package center.

The Emby Server logs are tagged bellow.

Does anyone seen this kind of problem before? Really wanna know how to solve it. Thanks.

embyserver-63777884267.txt embyserver-63777888000.txt hardware_detection-63777849710.txt hardware_detection-63777884287.txt

Hi, I noticed your first log file ends with a bunch of errors "Error sending socket message"

It seems like something is blocking it from communication which could lead to a shutdown.

Do you have a VPN that gets used at all or anything that plays tricks in any fashion with the network either on the host or router?

Do you have flaky internet that comes and goes or have really low upload bandwidth?

EasonSunFZ

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, when did this last happen?

I started to use Emby at 2021/12, so pretty much since I'm using it.

EasonSunFZ
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, I noticed your first log file ends with a bunch of errors "Error sending socket message"

It seems like something is blocking it from communication which could lead to a shutdown.

Do you have a VPN that gets used at all or anything that plays tricks in any fashion with the network either on the host or router?

Do you have flaky internet that comes and goes or have really low upload bandwidth?

That could be the reason, I am in China, not using any VPN.

Once in 2020, I tired Emby Prime, and my Emby Server could not connect to Emby Prime Verification System, that made me give up. I tried this year and it worked.

So is there any solution? Maybe a stable host IP that I can visit from China?

Not sure what you're asking.  Your log was showing your server not being able to communicate with clients as if it were blocked.
What kind of upload speed do you have internet wise where your server is located?

EasonSunFZ
8 minutes ago, cayars said:

Not sure what you're asking.  Your log was showing your server not being able to communicate with clients as if it were blocked.
What kind of upload speed do you have internet wise where your server is located?

Upload speed about 18Mbps. Server and clients are all located at Hangzhou, China.

It's possible with only 18Mbps that the pipe is consumed to the point that backlogs happen trying to communicate with clients.

While it's possible, it's probably not likely unless you have multiple remote clients trying to use it or have other services on the network making requests as well which most definitely could interfere.

On thing you can do is reboot your router if it hasn't been reset in a while.  Home routers are more likely to be the cause then anything else on the network and have been the cause of many strange and hard to troubleshoot items over the years.

EasonSunFZ
On 1/17/2022 at 7:29 AM, cayars said:

It's possible with only 18Mbps that the pipe is consumed to the point that backlogs happen trying to communicate with clients.

While it's possible, it's probably not likely unless you have multiple remote clients trying to use it or have other services on the network making requests as well which most definitely could interfere.

On thing you can do is reboot your router if it hasn't been reset in a while.  Home routers are more likely to be the cause then anything else on the network and have been the cause of many strange and hard to troubleshoot items over the years.

😂 Upload 18Mbps is not enough?Download 300Mbps and upload 20Mbps is above average in China.

I reboot my nas, my router, and the problem still happens

18 Mbps upload rate if tru , is probably good for 2 solid streams with a bitrate limit set on the server.
That assumes your server can handle two simultaneous transcodes if needed but your log shows that not to be the case (in that log anyway).

If you can't transcode files on the fly you have no other option but make sure files can direct play on remote clients.  That could mean you need to convert every media file you have with a bitrate limit set at 12Mbs or so to make sure it "fits' in the bandwidth you have available.  You can't use every bit of your upload bitrate or you wouldn't be able to use your download bandwidth since you have to make requests and ack (acknowledge) packets which of course takes away from your upload rate.

So it's not a simple question to answer.  If your router or switch has any kind of monitoring built in you can use that as a reference and know for shore.
What download, upload and latency numbers do you get running the test here?

https://speedof.me/

• Solution

As a test, can you try removing the Dlna plugin, then restart the server and see how that compares? Thanks.

EasonSunFZ
5 hours ago, Luke said:

As a test, can you try removing the Dlna plugin, then restart the server and see how that compares? Thanks.

Ok, I have removed it. Wait to see how it works in 2 weeks.

EasonSunFZ
5 hours ago, cayars said:

18 Mbps upload rate if tru , is probably good for 2 solid streams with a bitrate limit set on the server.
That assumes your server can handle two simultaneous transcodes if needed but your log shows that not to be the case (in that log anyway).

If you can't transcode files on the fly you have no other option but make sure files can direct play on remote clients.  That could mean you need to convert every media file you have with a bitrate limit set at 12Mbs or so to make sure it "fits' in the bandwidth you have available.  You can't use every bit of your upload bitrate or you wouldn't be able to use your download bandwidth since you have to make requests and ack (acknowledge) packets which of course takes away from your upload rate.

So it's not a simple question to answer.  If your router or switch has any kind of monitoring built in you can use that as a reference and know for shore.
What download, upload and latency numbers do you get running the test here?

https://speedof.me/

😂 I think the problem is not related to the downloading/uploading speed, the shutdown occurs while no clients running.

Can you post any other logs when it happens?
The only log I've seen shows Emby getting socket errors when you have users active.

It looks like it was getting a lot of errors trying to fetch meta-data but I'm not sure.  That same thing could easily happen during nightly schedule events processing library items.

This does make it sound like it could be a resource issue of some kind.  The OS itself will shut down services if resources become slim.  Not saying it is doing this but a potential problem.
We need to try and get some additional info to see what's going on when this happens.

How much RAM do you currently have installed on your NAS?
Besides Emby, what other services do you have running normally?
Do you have logging turned on?  If not, let's turn on some very basic info.

Open Resource Monitor, go to settings menu bottom left side.  Enable logging.
Now we'll have some basic resource numbers to look at in the future when this happens.

Have you looked in log center at logs for the period of time Emby shuts down to see what activity was taking place?

18 hours ago, EasonSunFZ said:

Ok, I have removed it. Wait to see how it works in 2 weeks.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Gregersson said:

It's better if you log in to my Nas !!

Not really a lot to do right now until we know possible reasons.
If you set the system resource logging that will help.

I looked up your NAS and 2 GB the maximum memory it can hold so you don't have a lot of memory to work with.
A lot of guys that have 4 GB base NAS update to 8 GB to have some breathing room for other apps to run.

If you go into Resource manage and click the memory tab what does it show at the bottom? (like this)
image.png.48556260645b753a6a569a6b2fde9c90.png

Besides Emby, what other apps are you running?

• 2 weeks later...
EasonSunFZ
On 1/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, Luke said:

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Its been running just fine for the past 10 days. Thanks for the solution.

• Like 1