No Dolby Vision on Shield TV (2019) with Emby

HotteHotte
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

HotteHotte

Hello,

after already reading numerous posts in this forum about similar problems, but not finding any solutions, I'm starting my own thread.

I cannot get Dolby Vision working within Emby on my Shield TV (2019). The system is up to date, running the latest system update released just a few days ago. Dolby Vision capability is recognized and activated within the Shield system settings page. Streaming Services on the Shield device display DV content correctly.

It does not matter if I plug the device directly into my TV, or if I link it to the TV via my AV-Receiver, Emby does not display correct colors when playing DV content. I also own a FireTV Cube, and on this device Emby works fine. I'm just getting Mirco stutters from time to time, that's why I would prefer to run Dolby Vision Movies or TV-Series on the Shield, as playback runs smoth there.

Just for testing I installed the Plex app, and this one also shows wrong colors. So I have no clue why DV works fine Netflix, Disney etc. but not with custom content from my personal collection. I've checked the files I'm trying to play with MediaInfo, and they're all Layer 5 Dolby Vision. Do I need to activate some settings within Emby, or do I need a Beta version to fix this issue?

CBers
25 minutes ago, HotteHotte said:

Sure, here's a picture I just took from a Movie. You can see the colors are not correct, it's all with a purplish tint.

20220115_193741.heic 928.66 kB · 1 download

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/98898-dolby-vision-is-transcoding-to-green/

Edited by CBers

HotteHotte

I've attached the Server log, as well as a screenshot of my display settings within Shield configuation menu, as asked for.

There's no transcoding log, as I don't have transcoding enabled.

I've now read the post that was linked by CBERS. I didn't find that one before, because I was only searching within this subforum. But I don't know what to make of it. Do I need to transcode my files? Then I just stick with playing them on my FireTV Cube. It's not running as smoothly as with the Shield, but at least they're working without any problems.

Display Settings.jpg

embyserver.txt

FrostByte

No, I think what CBers was getting at is that if it is transcoding then it will look like that even if your TV supports DV because as of right now ffmpeg can't tonemap DV.

It looks like your Shield is detecting DV support by your TV.

By chance have you tried playing any DV profile 7 or profile 8.1 from your Shield and noticed if it triggered DV?

Could you play your DV profile 5 file with debugging enabled and send a log to the devs?

Edited by FrostByte

• Solution
FrostByte

Also, you're running an old version of ATV.  Could you try with the latest stable or beta version before sending logs? 

HotteHotte

Okay, I will try to update ATV and also check if I have any profile 7 or profile 8.1 files around. Probably will take till tomorrow before I'm able to give an update.

FrostByte

I just noticed server is a few versions behind also if you want to update everything whilst you're at it.

Edited by FrostByte

Audiomixer
1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Also, you're running an old version of ATV.  Could you try with the latest stable or beta version before sending logs? 

@FrostByteHe is running 4.6.4.0 and 1.8.54

Edited by Audiomixer

I have the same issue with a Sony X930E. 
Playing the same files in Kodi or JustPlayer produces the correct DV picture. Emby gives it a green/purple tint. Emby server on latest stable, ATV app on latest beta. 

FrostByte
1 hour ago, barong said:

I have the same issue with a Sony X930E. 
Playing the same files in Kodi or JustPlayer produces the correct DV picture. Emby gives it a green/purple tint. Emby server on latest stable, ATV app on latest beta. 

Great.  If you could send your logs to the devs they will have two to look at then.

So I noticed that the video info on the app was showing SDR for the video range for DV files. I forced the server to refresh all meta data for the effected files.
After that finished it is now playing the files correctly.

The ATV app is still showing the incorrect video range on the pre-playback screen (SDR) but is showing correctly on the server (dvhe or DOVI). 

• Like 2

HotteHotte

Hey everyone, I fixed the problem. For some reason automatic updates were deactivated on my Shield, and therefore some apps like Emby and some others weren't up to date. I probably wouldn't have noticed this, as I thought apps would update themselves as usual. But your comments, that some apps are not up to date let me to check this in more detail.

I don't know why automatic updates were deactivated. I played around with a different launcher a few months ago, maybe this was the reason. Anyway, my issues with wrong colors are gone now. I thank everyone who helped me solve this problems with their comments to this thread!

• Like 2