Cannot Download from Remote Emby Server UPnPError

davidb7170

davidb7170

I need some help, please. As of 2 days ago, I cannot download from a remote Emby server. I've been running Emby Server and Emby Theatre for a couple years on my system. File transfer had been a very smooth process prior to this. I have Emby Server version 4.6.7.0 (up to date) running on port 8096.,running on Windows 10 Pro:

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    21H2
Installed on    ‎11/‎10/‎2020
OS build    19044.1415
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0
32 GB ram

The only thing in between Monday 1/10/22 and now was a Windows update on 1/11/22, a relatively normal update, but since that time I have not been able to download files from my friend. He has not had the same issues that I have even though he got the same Windows updates that I did. 

I did go through my Emby setup and did the normal stuff while trying to trouble shoot. I reset the router, rebooted the PC, checked the Emby setup instructions, checked the router UPnP settings, they are on. Checked that the Emby Port Forwarding Plug-in is installed, it is. 

Struggling with this for a couple days, so today thought I'd go back to a Windows Restore point, chose Monday 1/10/22, had to leave for a couple hours, came back to a Windows 10 Blue Screen, the Restore point restore didn't work for some reason. When I got the system back up, the files automatically started to transfer, but 10 minutes later, stopped. The attached log files are from this afternoon. 

Please advise. I'm pretty much at the end of what I can find. I can connect with my friend's Emby Server and watch content, and he can connect with mine. Believe he can download from me, I cannot download from him. I saw a section in the log about UPnP errors, but don't know what corrective measures can be taken. I have Norton 360, could not see any action in the firewall or other Norton logs indicating any actions regarding UPnP issues. 

Thanks for your help.

Dave

embyserver-63777696598 with UPnP Errors.txt hardware_detection-63777689147.txt

Hi, is this server log from your friend's server, or yours?

What Emby app are you trying to download with?

davidb7170

These logs were from my Emby server. 

I am trying to transfer with Emby theater from my friend. It's always worked until now.

Interestingly, I just uninstalled the UPnP port plugin and restarted the Emby server. The current log showed no UPnP error, but it's still not transferring. 

Dave 

rbjtech

If you can watch content from the remote server, then you should be able to download it as it uses the same network port and path.    Possible problems are a) your friend has accidently removed your permissions to download on THEIR emby server b) your machine may not have space to receive the downloads or c) your machine may have lost permission to download to that area following the update.

The download logs will be on THEIR server - your emby logs will play no part in the download process as you are the CLIENT.

Edited by rbjtech

davidb7170

Luke -

Version of Emby server = 4.6.7.0

Version of Emby Theater is 1.1.390.0 (I believe, as it's Listed as "Emby for Windows", not specifically Emby Theater") Don't know what the latest version is, but I allow for auto updates of Emby Server, and I assume Emby Theater or Emby for Windows.

rbjtech -

I know! That's what's been bugging me, I can stream content, but not transfer files from him. I took a look at his user permissions for me and he has me allowed to stream and download media. Nothing out of what I would expect.

As far as HDD space, I have my Emby Download space on a 4TB drive with 3.2 TB currently free. I have 7 drives internal to my PC and not counting the SSD OS drive, I have a total of 30TB of storage on this thing. I've never had saving permission problems, but how would I look for that? 

I see in his download logs, the media sitting there "Ready to transfer" as it's been for the last few days. I've deleted pending transfers a few times in this period, and reinitiated them, trying to kick it the pants, but they always just sit there "Ready..."

What was usual for the operation up until now, was if I chose more than one file to transfer, I would see on my storage location that it created subfolders for each file transfer right away, then transfer the actual media files sequentially into their respective folders. A very nice process. NOW, it doesn't even create the folders. 

I also have media file download permission for myself on my PC and Emby Server, but when I try that, it does not initiate a transfer. I just tried it again transferring a file the same way as from a remote server. It did not create a folder, it did not start a transfer, and the file is sitting in manage download as "Ready to transfer" Yup, something's not right here. 

In my original post, I noted trying to roll back to a restore point, and that process didn't complete properly, so I had to do a windows repair for boot up. After it was up and going, the file transfer started with the folder creation and all, ran for roughly 5 or 10 minutes, then stopped incomplete. The file was still listed as "downloading" a day later with no completion. When I deleted the transfer, it did not remove the partial file on my PC as usual, so I know something is stopping the process.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Edited by davidb7170
additional text

rbjtech

Have you tried an alternative client ?  Maybe a web browser on your PC for example.  there are two options - Download (which immediately downloads the file 'as is' and Download To - which allows you to specify the client.  

On your friends emby server - anything which is being queued for transfer should be in the Downloads and Conversions section on his Dashboard.  It's worth having a look in there and also check it has a schedule setup.

image.png.b2a3235d8fc58e11ca483d4ad29ec189.png

davidb7170

Was just working on that with my friend. I can download from him using a browser and Download on both my PC and a different PC. And he can from me with a browser. I installed Emby theater on my other PC and set the download location on that machine, and using theater it will not transfer with Emby theater, but will on the browser. He had the same experience trying downloading from me.

They are 2 different processes. 

Dave 

rbjtech

ok - so that's actually good news - the server and transfer is working.  To me, Emby Theatre as the problem - maybe permissions.  Have you tried reinstalling Theatre and/or making sure the 'Download' location has write permissions etc.

JeremyR
15 hours ago, rbjtech said:

ok - so that's actually good news - the server and transfer is working.  To me, Emby Theatre as the problem - maybe permissions.  Have you tried reinstalling Theatre and/or making sure the 'Download' location has write permissions etc.

Yes, but not, too. First that's two different Emby servers (ES) suddenly denying permissions to five separate copies of Emby Theater (ET) with no changes by either of the two ES owners is not high on my list of possibilities. No changes on either ES and all of our ET, all of which are 1.1.390.0. (Dave updated his ET to the Windows Store and used Windows store for the second install on another machine. My were always from Windows Store since I had noticed a post saying this was preferred.) Further both ES (latest version since we both use auto update) and all five ET's show transmission ready. It just doesn't start. Dave's uploaded server logs show that the Port Mapper was issuing port errors. I transferred two movies from Dave's ES to one of my ET on 1/11 successfully and that ET and two others failed transfer today. Dave started getting errors on 1/12 on ES for port issues. He also found ET failing to transfer on 1/13 from my ES and this continued to today when we started working on this together. We both had Windows 10 updates on 1/12. I am hoping Dave's logs can clear up the issue. 

We can stream & transfer media on browsers. Transfer on browsers works using the Download but not the Download To.  We can stream on all three Rick > Dave ES & two Dave ET> Rick ES and on browsers. Also DL from Rick ET > Rick ES also fails to transmit. (Rick ET is on separate computer.)

To be clear, two separate ES with three Rick ET > Dave ES; two Dave ET > Rick ES; and one Rick ET > Rick ES  (all ET are on separate computers) are having problems starting transfers that have been setup and acknowledged on both ends (so ES and ET are communicating though the DL subdirs are not setup) but never start the media transfer, and Dave's ES states port errors when an ET is trying to accomplish a transfer. The obvious question to me is has the Windows 10 update caused an issue with port assignment in Port Mapper?

Rick ES Log.txt

Edited by JeremyR

JeremyR
45 minutes ago, visproduction said:

I see Network issues reported for the Windows update.  Have a look here for a possible solution:  https://thewindowsplus.com/no-internet-windows-10.html/

Hope that helps.

I checked out the article hoping to see possible partial issues that might affect a specific class programs. Didn't see anything that could cause such a specific problem.  Not having any problems with the internet. In fact, all ES and ET see each other and communicate setting up the precursor transfer information on each end. Further all other apps and programs working fine on both sites and computers using ES or ET.  Thanks for the info and your time.

Additional note, we have done most of the things mentioned in the article via reboots of Windows. 

Edited by JeremyR

OurfamilySpot

I am trying to perform a download to an iPad using the IOS Emby Client, and seeing the same thing.  Server: 4.7.0.19.    Both sides show "Ready to Transfer" and it never starts.  I also tried using my iPhone and see the same.  "Ready to Transfer" but never starts.

I was able to successfully download in the native Mac Emby client and using the web client without issue..     I was also able to download using the Infuse app on the same iPad, connected natively? to the Emby Server.

Edited by OurfamilySpot
  • Like 1

davidb7170

Interesting. Can I assume your Emby server is on an Apple computer running an Apple OS? That would probably shoot the Windows 10 update theory in the butt... It would move the likely culprit back to Emby server, the port plugin, or Emby theater...

Dave 

Edited by davidb7170
Spelling

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, OurfamilySpot said:

I am trying to perform a download to an iPad using the IOS Emby Client, and seeing the same thing.  Server: 4.7.0.19.    Both sides show "Ready to Transfer" and it never starts.  I also tried using my iPhone and see the same.  "Ready to Transfer" but never starts.

I was able to successfully download in the native Mac Emby client and using the web client without issue..     I was also able to download using the Infuse app on the same iPad, connected natively? to the Emby Server.

Have no issue downloading to my iPhone as long as it is not "original" quality.

@Lukeis there a bandwidth issue here as I see can't get "original" quality to transfer on phone or ET.  If I set low enough bitrate it will convert and transfer.

There is an issue in the 1.1.390 version, so please try again as soon as you have 1.1.391. Thanks.

• Like 1

JeremyR
1 hour ago, Luke said:

There is an issue in the 1.1.390 version, so please try again as soon as you have 1.1.391. Thanks.

Updated to 391. rebooted ES since ET requested it. Deleted all previous downloads. restarted 391. Requested DL to Rick ET from Rick ES, sits with both sides saying "Ready to Transfer". Made request to Android ET from Rick ES, transfer started immediately.

Edited by JeremyR

7 minutes ago, JeremyR said:

Updated to 391. rebooted ES since ET requested it. Deleted all previous downloads. restarted 391. Requested DL to Rick ET from Rick ES, sits with both sides saying "Ready to Transfer". Made request to Android ET from Rick ES, transfer started immediately.

Try doing it from the app directly.

JeremyR
1 hour ago, Luke said:

So with my ET's are updated to 391. My server just went through an update of the Port Mapper plugin and requested a restart, which I have done. During this my Android ET was DLing a movie which started immediately, stopped during the restart, the transfer continued after the restart, and is now complete.  I deleted the last DL I requested from a Windows ET and restarted the W-ET. Made a new DL request, both ends saying ready to transfer, but not starting. This is on Port Mapper 1.0.1, just updated. So Windows ES can transfer to Android ET. Windows ES acknowledges W-ET request and both sides wait.

JeremyR
25 minutes ago, Luke said:

Try doing it from the app directly.

I have been using the Android app and Windows App for all requests. I am in W-ET, I chose a movie, hit elipse, click on "download to". I click start. Is that what you are asking? Same path in A-ET. I also see a transitory dialog telling me the transfer is started, which is has not.

Note: when I delete the DL using W-ET, not the ES Downloads section, I go to the ES Downloads section after the delete and it is gone from the ES pov.

Also stream still works fine.

Edited by JeremyR

Happy2Play

Honestly don't think Port Mapper has anything to do with this but why are you are 1.0.1.0 instead of 1.0.6.0?

davidb7170

I have the 2 ET for Windows on the main and side PCs updated to 1.1.391, with Port Mapper 1.0.6.0 installed. Getting the same UPnP error report in the Logs. I tried uninstalling the Port Mapper plugin, then went back to try and install an lower version number available in a pulldown to see if that made a difference, but when I installed the lower number, the plugin was listed as 1.0.6.0 again, so don't know why there is a choice.... When I don't have the Port Mapper installed, I don't get the UPnP error in the log, but can't do a regular file transfer either way. I can still do a single file transfer via browser with "Download", but not "Down To". I've restarted the ES each time as it requested.

I cannot do a transfer from my ES machine to the the ET on my other PC using ET, but can with the Browser method. Zips right over on my LAN.... Not thinking ET is necessarily the issue, but possibly something else.

Edited by davidb7170
spelling corrections

Happy2Play

And if you disabled port mapper, do you have the same issue?  Still don't see how port mapper has anything to do with this issue.

• Like 1

rbjtech

Port Mapper is just a uPnP client that opens the ports dynamically on your router - if you disable it and emby still works (streams + Browser download) then you can safely remove it as it is unnecessary.  You must have added port forwarding manually on your router (which is a much better solution anyway).  This is for your emby SERVER - it has nothing to do with the Emby CLIENT (ET or Browser).

Simply put - if the downloads work with a browser - then the issue is 100% with ET.  

I don't use ET, so I'm unsure if it has any logs...

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

JeremyR
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Honestly don't think Port Mapper has anything to do with this but why are you are 1.0.1.0 instead of 1.0.6.0?

That's what the auto update did. I had nothing to do with it. It showing it on Dashboard. first it uninstalled PM and then installed PM 1.0.1 and asked for a restart. can I update that plugin to 1.0.6? The log seems to say that ES back dated me.

2022-01-15 17:11:21.374 Info App: File C:\Users\charl\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\Emby.PortMapper.dll has version 1.0.1.0 2022-01-15 17:11:21.374 Info App: File C:\Users\charl\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\plugins\Emby.PortMapper.dll has version 1.0.6.0 2022-01-15 17:11:21.374 Info App: Copying plugin from C:\Users\charl\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\plugins\Emby.PortMapper.dll to C:\Users\charl\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\plugins\Emby.PortMapper.dll

Edited by JeremyR