Volume is too low

Tzadik81

Tzadik81

I'm running the Emby server on Windows 10 and I connect to it from an LG TV via the app. Since yesterday without changing any settings or any hardware component the sound volume became very low. We can barely hear the sound even with my soundbar's volume turned to maximum. When watching Netflix or Youtube there is no issue at all only when playing movies via Emby. Did anyone else encounter this issue and/or know what could be the issue and how to fix it? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! 

Hello Tzadik81,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Killerbreu
On 1/13/2022 at 5:32 AM, Movieflix4K said:

Same problem here, but on a Sony Bravia Android TV.

Same problem here, Android Tv.

Happy2Play

Devs will need server/ffmpeg logs and possibly app log.  But would not expect LG TV and Android TV clients to have the same issue.

Another ongoing discussion here also.

Audio Level: why so low?

Killerbreu

log sent - Android TV.

- Low sound - play movie - Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City

- 09:05 - Eastern Time (ET)

- User Adm 

16 minutes ago, Killerbreu said:

log sent - Android TV.

- Low sound - play movie - Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City

- 09:05 - Eastern Time (ET)

- User Adm 

You have a soundbar connected or you are playing this right on the TV?  If soundbar, how is it connected?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tzadik81 said:

that connects to the TV via Bluetooth

Okay, so that is why it is playing the way it is.  BT is only going to allow a stereo stream so we are decoding it internally.  As for the volume, there would be so many variables in between, I'm not really sure.  Are there any adjustments in the TV or soundbar specifically for volume level?  Like to send fixed instead of variable volume?

Tzadik81
20 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, so that is why it is playing the way it is.  BT is only going to allow a stereo stream so we are decoding it internally.  As for the volume, there would be so many variables in between, I'm not really sure.  Are there any adjustments in the TV or soundbar specifically for volume level?  Like to send fixed instead of variable volume?

Again, the issue only appeared a few days ago. Before that everything was fine with the very same set up. 

I can't change volume on the TV when using Bluetooth out, but of course I can change volume on the soundbar. But as mentioned many videos are too quiet even when the soundbar is on its highest volume. No other app (Netflix, HBO GO) has this issue, even tho I of course use Bluetooth out in all instances. 

Killerbreu
4 hours ago, ebr said:

You have a soundbar connected or you are playing this right on the TV?  If soundbar, how is it connected?

I'm playing this straight on TV.

In other apps like Kodi, Plex works normally.

16 minutes ago, Tzadik81 said:

Again, the issue only appeared a few days ago

What changed in your system a few days ago?

The app has not changed.

Tzadik81
14 hours ago, ebr said:

What changed in your system a few days ago?

The app has not changed.

Ok, so it is possible I only noticed it two days ago. But the issue is definitely there. So would you try to work with us (it is not just me, but apparently quite a few other people) to find a solution? Anything changed in one of the recent updates that could led to this issue?  

5 hours ago, Tzadik81 said:

Anything changed in one of the recent updates that could led to this issue?  

The app hasn't changed in a couple of months.  That's why I'm trying to help you investigate anything else that may have.

Tzadik81
2 hours ago, ebr said:

The app hasn't changed in a couple of months.  That's why I'm trying to help you investigate anything else that may have.

My set up didn't change for like a year at all and certainly I didn't have this issue for that long. I watched a movie last night (log attached) that for sure didn't have any volume issue when I last watched it last summer. So it would be awesome if you could check whether there was any sound decoding etc. change in one of the recent updates be that a few months ago. Thanks. 

embyserver (2).txt

Tzadik81
26 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you sideload this app on the device, does it behave differently?

Have you sent this to me? I'm connecting from an LG TV to Windows 10. 

10 minutes ago, Tzadik81 said:

Have you sent this to me? I'm connecting from an LG TV to Windows 10. 

Sorry, there were two people in here - one was on an Android TV but that wasn't you.  The LG app did change fairly recently but I'm not sure how that would impact your issue.

Killerbreu
8 hours ago, ebr said:

If you sideload this app on the device, does it behave differently?

the problem continues.

Edited by Killerbreu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
piercedtiger

This issue has been driving me nuts for months if not years now, so maybe this will help someone.

I have a Roku TV with the Emby app (Emby server 4.8.4.0, app 4.1 build 15), audio out to a Denon DHT-S517 3.1.2 soundbar with subwoofer via HDMI-ARC. I've always had to have Emby on 2-3x higher volume to hear the movie or show compared to Netflix, Disney, etc apps and YouTube streamed in via HDMI from Chrome on ChromeOS. It has been a frequent source of frustration where my wife and I have to raise the volume to 60+ (while I run YouTube at 20-30) for our shows, then forget to lower before switching to YouTube after she goes to bed.

After reading this and other threads with no solution, and no response after people submitted logs, I played around some more. With the Roku TV audio output set to "Passthrough" I went into the Emby app settings on the TV under playback and set "ConvertMulti-channel AAC/FLAC" to "no".

After this, there was improvement! Where I previously had to set volume to 80 for Dune part 2, I could hear clearly at 49. I immediately switched to Netflix where I had to lower the volume to 39 during the previews, but once a movie was playing 47-49 was acceptable so it seems close enough now. I'm assuming Netlfix previews (like Hulu ads) use stereo or another format as they're always louder than the actual TV shows and movies with our surround sound setup.

Unfortunately, now it seems I need to login every time I open Emby on the TV when it used to just go to the last account used (which is the same account every time).

19 hours ago, piercedtiger said:

This issue has been driving me nuts for months if not years now, so maybe this will help someone.

I have a Roku TV with the Emby app (Emby server 4.8.4.0, app 4.1 build 15), audio out to a Denon DHT-S517 3.1.2 soundbar with subwoofer via HDMI-ARC. I've always had to have Emby on 2-3x higher volume to hear the movie or show compared to Netflix, Disney, etc apps and YouTube streamed in via HDMI from Chrome on ChromeOS. It has been a frequent source of frustration where my wife and I have to raise the volume to 60+ (while I run YouTube at 20-30) for our shows, then forget to lower before switching to YouTube after she goes to bed.

After reading this and other threads with no solution, and no response after people submitted logs, I played around some more. With the Roku TV audio output set to "Passthrough" I went into the Emby app settings on the TV under playback and set "ConvertMulti-channel AAC/FLAC" to "no".

After this, there was improvement! Where I previously had to set volume to 80 for Dune part 2, I could hear clearly at 49. I immediately switched to Netflix where I had to lower the volume to 39 during the previews, but once a movie was playing 47-49 was acceptable so it seems close enough now. I'm assuming Netlfix previews (like Hulu ads) use stereo or another format as they're always louder than the actual TV shows and movies with our surround sound setup.

Unfortunately, now it seems I need to login every time I open Emby on the TV when it used to just go to the last account used (which is the same account every time).

Hi, thanks for following up.