What would you change?

Nameneeded

Nameneeded

This is not a flex!

I have looked at builds for a media server but most build guides are true budget builds.

However my knowledge is kinda basic when it come to Emby/ Plex stuff. I am using a tower pc/ server (16 bay) that over the last 6months has been upgraded (kijiji/ craigslist) to the following;

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X

Ram: 32GB 1666hz

GPU: Quadro P2200

Raid Controller: LSI 9271-8i in a Raid 6 config

Storage: 6 Seagate Barracuda Compute 8TB drives (2 more waiting to be added once I figure out how to do that.)

Network: Gigabit up/ down both internal and external. (everything wireless has gigabit wifi)

PSU: Corsair 650W

It's mostly 4k movies, anime and TV shows. GF uses it to remote stream when she travels. Now that I have decent upload speeds the 4k thing to her phone seems to work fine. Don't really let anyone else use it but was planning on letting a few friends have access.

I heard 4k streaming is a pita but not really interested in building a 1080p collection.

I have a habit of constantly wanting to upgrade stuff.

Any things I should keep my eye out for. Not new stuff (no intentions of dropping $3000CAD for an RTX 5000) but I'm on used sites a fair amount.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Hello Nameneeded,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

RanmaCanada

What would I change?  I would do exactly what I have in my basement.  I have a low powered server with 15 drives in it with UNRAID (2 parity drives).  It runs pi-hole, and is used strictly as a NAS.  Then what I did was I bought a laptop for dirt cheap, an i3-8130u.  Why a laptop?  Because no need to remote in to change things, it uses quicksync which is superior at this point to NVENC, and can handle 20+ 1080p encodes (about 3 4k transcodes with tonemapping)  The laptop cost me $300 CDN last year.  The server is built from old parts, currently it's an E5-2670 with 16 gigs of ram.  For the current used price of the P2000 you could build all this (including price of UNRAID) and use less power than your entire rig, while making a profit selling the card haha.  You could even sell your 3700x and drop down to an Athlon 3000G.  With the 8 port switch, my UPS reports a mere 127 watts.

In the future if I want I can install own cloud or next cloud and setup my own personal cloud to get away from google/apple/microsoft.

That's what I would do.  Downgrade server to a NAS with UNRAID, downgrade/sell parts to save power, and move Emby to a laptop.  It might be "insane" but it works fantastically.