Library updates much slower

Deihmos
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Deihmos

Did something change with the library updates? Previously, new shows were added almost instantly but now I have to manually refresh. 

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

How do library updates work? The task schedule says every 2 hrs and resume from sleep but previously new episodes were added instantly and not every 2 hours. Now it seems to follow the task schedule.

Deihmos

I wonder what changed that is preventing it from not working. I upgraded to Windows 8.1. The network and file system remains the same.

I looked at the log and it sees the change i think but nothing is added to the library.

2013-10-14 10:53:58.4963, Info, DirectoryWatchers, Watcher sees change of type Created to \\Server-HTPC\TV\Criminal Minds\Season 06
2013-10-14 10:53:58.5063, Info, DirectoryWatchers, Watcher sees change of type Created to \\Server-HTPC\TV\Criminal Minds\Season 06\Criminal Minds - S06E24 - Supply and Demand.avi
2013-10-14 10:53:58.5163, Info, DirectoryWatchers, Watcher sees change of type Changed to \\Server-HTPC\TV\Criminal Minds\Season 06
Edited by Deihmos

What are the messages after that?  Do you ever see any messages about something going to be refreshed?  Or do you see any "timer extended" messages?

Deihmos

I removed the library then added it now it is working. It didn't say anything about being refreshed in the logs just timer extended messages.

The timer extended messages are the issue.  That means that something is holding a file open so we are waiting until that goes away until we refresh.  This keeps us from refreshing an item while you are ripping it.

Deihmos

I removed the recorded tv folder then added it back. This was the first time adding that folder to the server. I think maybe that was the problem but I will see if it hangs again. The ripping takes place in another folder and it has worked fine prior to adding the recorded tv folder.

Confirmed the record tv folder is causing the problem. Removing it. 

Edited by Deihmos

we have a real time monitor that tries to pick up changes on the fly but on some networks and some file systems it can fail. so that's where the periodic polling comes in.

• 3 years later...