Some Guidance Please - New Server Options

shadowtek

shadowtek

Hi Legends 

I know it has been discussed over and over and i have read so many posts (both here and google) becoming somewhat confused.

So i have a QNAP TS-453A ( which is working great as server ) however i find myself in the market for SFF pc or mini pc/nuc style machine. The actual reason behind this is I'm a Mac user and have the need of a windows pc to be able to run a gaming bot on and it doesn't emulate well in osx using vbox or parallels etc.

So i was hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak, by getting a mini pc that would be better as a Emby server than the QNAP and one that will run MemuPlay android emulator.

The QNAP will become just the "storage" place for the new server.

My main clients is and the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro 4K 

I dont need to transcode a whole lot, but absolutely want the option in case things change or devices change in the future. I have a relatively small library with 120ish tv series and 60ish movies. Mainly all played locally, but i do have 2 clients that access remotely (family members)

I dont want to spend heaps maybe upto $600aud

This is what i have found so far

Dell OptiPlex 3070 MSFF i5-9500T 8GB 256GB Windows 10 Professional (Renewed)

HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini Quad Core i5 6500T 8G 240GB SSD W10P Desktop PC (Renewed)

MeLE Fanless Mini PC Box, Intel Celeron J4125 Windows 10 Pro Mini Computers, 8GB DDR4 128GB eMMC HD Graphics 4K Dual Band WiFi with Gigabit Ethernet Port PCG35 GLK

Am i close or way off the mark? Or should i just stick with the QNAP as my Emby Server and get a cheaper mini pc to handle just the Android emulator?

Really would appriciate any input, thoughts and recomendations.

Edited by shadowtek

Hi, the Dell looks like it has decent horsepower for the android emulator and occasional transcoding.

RanmaCanada

I agree with Luke.  The Dell with the 9500T will handle all your needs.  Instead of Amazon, see if anyone on eBay has one as well.  Or even get a Ryzen APU model.

shadowtek

Thanks @Lukeand @RanmaCanada

Think i have narrowed it down to these 2... THoughts on which is better out of the two?

Dell OptiPlex 3070 MSFF i5-9500T 8GB 256GB Windows 10 Professional (Renewed)

Dell OptiPlex 7060 Micro Desktop - Intel Core i7-8700T, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Is it worth the extra $$$ to go this one☝️as its a i7 with more ram but older cpu 🤔

Thanks 

rbjtech

There is not a lot between them tbh, they both have the same iGPU and overall performance for everyday apps.

I would go for 16Gb of memory regardless though - 8Gb is not really enough for todays applications.

RanmaCanada

9500T has a passmark of 8235, 8700T has a passmark of 10686.  As rbjtech mentions, they both have the same iGPU, hence they have the same ASICS.  But since the 9500T is $499 and the 8700T is an insane $829, god no it is not worth it.  Buy some extra ram, toss it in there and you're still cheaper than that 8700T system.  Heck even upgrading the SSD while upgrading the ram will still be cheaper than that 8700T system.  The 9500T apparently also comes with a 3 year ONSITE warranty (for original hardware so you would need to swap back in original components, maybe, should the system fail)

I'd get the 9500T personally.

• Like 1