Music Library, possible Bug on recognizing Composer and Genre

Anderella

Anderella

I added my classical music library to emby.

Basically all my files are uncompressed AIFF, all tagged via iTunes and all organized the same way in artist folders and album subfolders.

Possible bug 01:

Some files are not recognized correct in genre as "Classical". The wrong genre is: "32" ?

Screenshot: 01_Wrong_Genre

Possible bug 02:

Although all files are tagged the same way, not all composers are listed under emby. (Emby is listing only 23 composers, under iTunes I have 255 - Screenshots: 02_Missing_Composers and 03_Composers_under_iTunes)

Example missing composer: Arvo Pärt

Screenshot under iTunes: 04_Composer_Pärt_iTunes (with tech Info: 05_Info_iTunes) - Not listed as composer under emby.

What I found out myself:

It seems that all my HRES files 24 Bit 96 kHz or 24 Bit 192 kHz are wrong listed as genre: 32

BUT the composers of these albums are indexed/recognized in the database.

(Screenshots: 06_Hres_Emby, 07_Hres_iTunes, 08_Overview_Wrong_Genre)

On the other side: All my 16 Bit 44,1 kHz AIF-files are listed in the correct genre, but the composer-tags of these files are obviously not recognized.

Thx for help.

01_Wrong_Genre.png

02_Missing_Composers.png

03_Composers_under_iTunes.png

07_Hres_iTunes.png

06_Hres_Emby.png

04_Composer_Pärt_iTunes.png

05_Info_iTunes.png

08_Overview_Wrong_Genre.png

Hi there, have you checked the embedded metadata within the tracks using something other than iTunes? You probably have tracks with a genre assigned with just the number 32, and I'm guessing that the Composer value may not be present.

Can you provide a sample track for testing?

Anderella

Hi there :)

Sorry, I checked the tagging myself before posting, but didn't add the info or the values. Enclosed are three MediaInfo files - to me they seem correct.

For cross check I enclose a dropbox link 600 MB (files are too big) of the original audio files - otherwise I can Wetransfer the files if you prefer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt75rhtikf49egy/Emby_Audio.zip?dl=0

MAHLER, GUSTAV - Symph N. 2 C-Moll 'Auferstehung' (4.6) , Ulricht. Sehr Feierlich, Aber Schlicht [1975#04].txt MOZART, WOLFGANG AMADEUS - Symph N. 1 Es-Dur K 16 (1.3) , Molto Allegro [1969#01].txt PÄRT, ARVO - Ein Wallfahrtslied [2002#01].txt

Happy2Play

1) Emby does not have a built-in conversion table like other programs.

List of ID3v1 Genres - Wikipedia

So Genre 32 is exactly that.  But probably something Emby should look at as this has come up a few times.

image.png.12fd4c1adb26fb03d83df523adbe32dd.png

Remember Emby uses ffmpeg/ffprobe to see all embedded metadata, so it really does not matter what other programs show you.

Another example ffprobe shows 32 and Media Info shows Classical.

image.thumb.png.d63289d7e2eb6a04fd85e5324d1eae06.png

2) @Lukeis TCM linked to Composer?  As I see the same issue of TCM/Composer not showing up in this example.

image.thumb.png.805ded31b4a69b4589afd9a821e70e76.png

PÄRT, ARVO missing

image.thumb.png.76757789186570bd449ba10da5a78f33.png

Edited by Happy2Play

Anderella

@Happy2PlayThank you very much for your help & taking time to further "investigate".

As I don't see a way to modify my workflow for tagging - as I add my audiofiles to iTunes and tag them there - I would be very thankful, if you could add compatibilty on your side.

Thank you.

###

Besides: I saw Emby would support Artists divided by ";".

Any chance to add personal dividers? As I use " # " as kind of splitting entries, this would be really awesome:)

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Anderella said:

P.S.:

@Happy2PlayHow did you get Edvard Grieg as composer with my files?

I didn't, it was already on my test system.

2 minutes ago, Anderella said:

@Happy2PlayThank you very much for your help & taking time to further "investigate".

As I don't see a way to modify my workflow for tagging - as I add my audiofiles to iTunes and tag them there - I would be very thankful, if you could add compatibilty on your side.

Thank you.

###

Besides: I saw Emby would support Artists divided by ";".

Any chance to add personal dividers? As I use " # " as kind of splitting entries, this would be really awesome:)

Delimiters are tricky but currently Emby supports ";" and "/".  But would assume Emby would have to create an additional whitelist if it added "#" as it did for "/" as there are Artists with these characters in their actual name.

Most tagging programs have configurable delimiters but don't know anything about iTunes.

Anderella
14 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Most tagging programs have configurable delimiters but don't know anything about iTunes.

I kind of tag them by hand:)

To get uniformly naming I pay very much attention during ripping to fit my naming scheme.  For lack of an "orchestra" and "conductor" field I decided to put orchestra and conductor in the album artist or artist field together. And as visually:

SCHWEDISCHE RADIO SYMPHONY ORCHESTER # KALJUSTE, TÕNU

looks much nicer than:

SCHWEDISCHE RADIO SYMPHONY ORCHESTER;KALJUSTE, TÕNU

I decided " # " to be my best delimiter.

Would be really great, if this could be supported.

34 minutes ago, Luke said:

Never heard of tcm before but I guess we can support that.

Seems iTunes (11.4.0 Windows Version) creates this field. I found it here (ID3v2.2 tag):

https://borewit.github.io/music-metadata/doc/common_metadata.html

As I tag all files the same way, the only difference can be the original creation of the file:

- My CD rips are WAV files (ExactAudioCopy), converted via iTunes to tag-able AIF files. Tagged under iTunes.

- My HRES audios are basically vinyl recordings (via Vinylstudio), exported as AIF files - and again tagged via iTunes.

Obviously the genre field and the composer field are treated/created different.

Thank you so much, if you could implement and support TCM and genre "32" :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Anderella

First: Thank you all for your great support and your work on all this, I really appreciate!

TCM error is gone, which is great :) - Thank you.

But genre "32" is still existing on all my high-res audio files.....

Do you need as cross-check a sample file?

Anderella

(Additional info: After updating and restarting the server I of course updated Library and Metadata)

On 6/5/2022 at 12:18 PM, Anderella said:

First: Thank you all for your great support and your work on all this, I really appreciate!

TCM error is gone, which is great :) - Thank you.

But genre "32" is still existing on all my high-res audio files.....

Do you need as cross-check a sample file?

Are your files actually tagged with just numbers as genres?

Anderella

Hi, basically all my files are tagged the same way via iTunes (under Windows).

Only difference:

# 44.1 Audio Files are basically ripped CD tracks (ExactaudioCopy, .wav files), converted to AIF and tagged under iTunes. (Genre interpreted correct)

# Recorded H-Res Audio Files, vinyl tracks (96 kHz 24 Bit) with VinylStudio,  also tagged afterwards with iTunes. (Genre interpreted correct)

# Ripped H-Res Files, via DVD Audio Extractor  (Bluray Audio tracks ripped as 96 kHz 24 Bit), also tagged with iTunes. These are not recognized correct (Genre: 32), although ffprobe shows the correct genre: Classical.

See enclosed report file.

Genre 32 Screenshot.png

ffprobe-20220611-155510.log

Happy2Play
On 6/9/2022 at 9:56 AM, Luke said:

Are your files actually tagged with just numbers as genres?

Yes per the items linked above and shown in screenshot in following post.

image.png.1f7730e9a5dd38f74d1ed2141c39c9b2.png

image.thumb.png.ece05d3fb613592f9b9d31aef21ccffd.png

5 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you provide a sample track for testing? thanks.

Anderella

Hi,

enclosed are five sample files.

2 Files (Mahler, 96 kHz 24 Bit and Pärt, 44,1 kHz and 16 Bit) I had problems before with composer and genre are working now (with current server version).

3 Files (Mendelssohn, 48 kHz 24 Bit and Wagner, 96 kHz 24 Bit and Mozart, 192 kHz 24 Bit) are still interpreted as genre "32".

Thank you both for your help!

(Besides: Still any chance to support " # " as a delimiter for artists and composer? (Like  ";") - Right now my search "Mozart Böhm RM" doesn't find the enclosed Mozart track.)

Dropbox Link

Besides: Still any chance to support " # " as a delimiter for artists and composer? (Like  ";"

What if the artist has a # in the name? What tagging software writes #?

Anderella

As far as I know no music/tagging app supports "orchestra" and/or "conductor" field, that's why I added them manually to the album artist or artist field. (under tagging with iTunes)

Second: To kind of split - if there is more than one artist - I looked also for a divider, which I never got in touch with in the artist-name, and which is immediately visual clear as a divider.

That's why my decision was to use: space # space (" # ")

example:

SCHWEDISCHE RADIO SYMPHONY ORCHESTER # KALJUSTE, TÕNU

instead of: SCHWEDISCHE RADIO SYMPHONY ORCHESTER;KALJUSTE, TÕNU

or:

CAVE, NICK # BAD SEEDS, THE

instead of:  CAVE, NICK;BAD SEEDS, THE

I don't know, if it's possible for EMM to support a kind of an alternative variable as a divider? (editable in the settings)

Needless to say, I would "love" this feature ::)

It's always possible for the future but for your own benefits with any music app I would strongly suggest using more commonly used conventions.

Anderella

Thank you for your input, would be great, if this could be implemented.

Did my sample files help with genre 32?

@Anderella - thanks, your samples were indeed helpful.

The ID3v2 tags were from different versions of the spec:

MAHLER, GUSTAV - Symph N. 2 C-Moll 'Auferstehung' (4.6) , Ulricht. Sehr Feierlich, Aber Schlicht [1975#04]
[file @ 00000293D82606C0] Setting default whitelist 'file,crypto,data'
[aiff @ 00000293D829A880] Format aiff probed with size=2048 and score=100
[aiff @ 00000293D829A880] id3v2 ver:3 flags:00 len:155446
[aiff @ 00000293D829A880] Before avformat_find_stream_info() pos: 4096 bytes read:188232 seeks:2 nb_streams:2

MENDELSSOHN, FELIX - Ein Sommernachtstraum Op. 21 (4.7) , Intermezzo. Allegro [2016#04]
[aiff @ 000001536742FA40] Format aiff probed with size=2048 and score=100
[aiff @ 000001536742FA40] id3v2 ver:4 flags:00 len:138973
[aiff @ 000001536742FA40] Before avformat_find_stream_info() pos: 54 bytes read:171759 seeks:2 nb_streams:2

MOZART, WOLFGANG AMADEUS - Symph N. 1 Es-Dur K 16 (1.3) , Molto Allegro [1969#01]
[aiff @ 000001A9A4971540] Format aiff probed with size=2048 and score=100
[aiff @ 000001A9A4971540] id3v2 ver:4 flags:00 len:94554
[aiff @ 000001A9A4971540] Before avformat_find_stream_info() pos: 54 bytes read:127340 seeks:2 nb_streams:2

PÄRT, ARVO - Ein Wallfahrtslied [2002#01]
[aiff @ 000002F229D6FA40] Format aiff probed with size=2048 and score=100
[aiff @ 000002F229D6FA40] id3v2 ver:2 flags:00 len:26227
[aiff @ 000002F229D6FA40] Before avformat_find_stream_info() pos: 54 bytes read:59013 seeks:2 nb_streams:2

WAGNER, RICHARD - Rheingold (02.44) - 1. Sz , Weia! Waga! Woge, Du Welle! [1970#02]
[aiff @ 000002227365D780] Format aiff probed with size=2048 and score=100
[aiff @ 000002227365D780] id3v2 ver:4 flags:00 len:108389
[aiff @ 000002227365D780] Before avformat_find_stream_info() pos: 54 bytes read:141175 seeks:2 nb_streams:2

Regarding the TCON field, there has been a change between v2.3: https://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#Text_information_frames_-_details

and v2.4: https://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames (search TCON)

in the way that since v2.4, no braces are required anymore around the number.

ffmpeg/ffprobe do not properly implement this for v2.4 and still expect braces. Your files are correct.
I have fixed this now in our ffmpeg. The fix will be probably in the next beta (or one after).

Thanks a lot for reporting!

• Like 1