Drivepool File Placement Optimisations

rbjtech

rbjtech

Hi All,

In the Emby Library settings, I opt to keep all the artwork etc in the Media folders to keep it all together (and make it all portable) but having all the image and thumbnails bif's on HDD's is not optimal.

Has anybody played with the Stablebit Drivepool 'Balancing - File Placement' options to move Emby SRT, NFO, BIF, XML, GIF, PNG etc to a dedicated SSD drive rather than HDD ?

If this works as expected, then we get the best of both worlds - SSD storage for all but the actual MKV/MP4 files - but all stored 'together' as far as Emby / the File System is concerned.

I know emby also runs it's own image 'cache', so I don't think this will offer a huge improvement for images but for other files types it may help ?

• Like 1

Spaceboy

where do you see the issue that you are trying to solve? despite my media and asociated files being on a separate device on the network the images in my movie library (10k+ items) all load pretty instantly

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

rbjtech

Images are not an issue I agree - but I do notice a slight delay when using the thumbnails that are read from the associated BIF file.   These are not cached (as far as I can tell) so I'm wondering if by effectively putting them on an SSD, they will load quicker.

• Like 1

This is a great idea! And I don't see it as about solving a problem - it's just tweaking, getting everything running as fast as possible.

It's like when I recently started running emby from a ram disk - I just wanted to see if it would work. So I bought a bunch of ram, loaded up a portable installation with all metadata + images (no BIFs), and it works! Did I solve a problem? Absolutely not. But everything seems to work perfectly, and when I open the app the main menu on my android tv loads at least two seconds faster than before.

And now I'm putting those BIF files on SSD, which I think means my server is now as fast as it can possibly be (with my current hardware).

Zero problems solved. Just successful tweaking. Thanks for the idea!

• Like 1