New receiver for Christmas, Emby only outputs DD+ 2.0

hstamas
Go to solution Solved by hstamas,

hstamas

Sorry no logs as I needed to get this working again but wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Setting up my new Sony receiver and all was working well. Had to move a few things around so I I plug the hdmi cable from my Sony TV, do my thing and plug it back in and turn everything back on. 
Now Emby will only output DD+ 2.0.

Here’s the setup;

Sony A9G using built in Emby app. Output via EARC to receiver which is set up in direct mode. All other apps and Kodi output 5.1 sound correctly. Tried every combination of shutting down and starting up thinking it was some sort of handshaking issue since this worked before with no luck. I’ve change no setting on any device  since this was working earlier.

As a last ditch solution I uninstalled Emby and reinstalled it and now all is working as it was before.

One odd observation though. I am running the beta version of the app and noticed a few days ago the option to output non supported audio as Dolby digital. Now however that option is missing. Is it only available if Emby detects a certain configurations?

13 hours ago, hstamas said:

Now however that option is missing. Is it only available if Emby detects a certain configurations?

Yes.  If the app detects the system only accepts stereo then there is no point to do that conversion.

I do believe what you had was a handshake issue.  If it happens again, try re-starting the Android device while the receiver is powered up.

hstamas

It did happen again today @ebr as I had to unplug things again but I’m done now. Another reinstall fixed it but next time I. Will try just rebooting my tv. I bought the Sony partly because I was under the illusion (delusion?) that having android tv built in would be less problematic. 

im probably going to break down and get another Shield as I want TrueHD and DTS-X. Had no idea that Sony TV’s don’t pass that through 😒

hstamas

Happened again @Luke. This time with nothing plugged or unplugged to initiate any sort of handshake error. Possible that things got turned on in an order Emby didnt like but in testing all other apps on my system when this happens they all still properly output 5.1 sound. Its only Emby that is constantly doing this.

What logs do you need? Server or Android TV.

hstamas

Well, my AndroidTV app seems to be stuck at DD+ 2.0 now. My reinstall trick isn’t working. Most recent server log and ffmpeg log attached if it helps at all. It’s definitely some sort of communication issue as when this happens I have no option under the playback setting for audio output. 

I side loaded the regular Android app and it seems to work as expected but of course is not usable as a 10ft interface unless there is a trick to getting this working with a remote?

Kodi and Built in Netflix app work as expected when this occurs as well.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-directstream-bb7248dd-7fff-4186-abbd-47fa3ca5ccb8_1.txt

hstamas

Display mode is set to TV @Luke.

im probably experiencing the issues talked about hbelow as I believe my Sony TV remote connects to the TV via Bluetooth. When I try to navigate the standard Android app with the tv remote it jumps around wildly. If I hook up a keyboard, I can navigate normally.

Too bad as I tested again and the standard app is consistently outputting 5.1 sound. I still can’t get the  AndroidTV working again. I don’t know what changed?

For now I guess  I’m going to have to abandon the AndroidTV app and go back to Emby4Kodi.

hstamas

Sent @ebr

1. Playback of DD 5.1 movie (50 First Dates). Receiver never changes from it default DD+ 2.0

2. Logs sent @ 8:57am eastern

3. Only have 1 user on the system - Harry or hstamas

It’s definitely a handshake issue between my receiver (Sony Str-790) and the Emby app. Before I turned on the receiver I checked the playback options screen and there were no sound output options - no dts passthrough and no audio output section. After turning the receiver on, dts passthrough options appeared no no audio output. I know now that if audio output option is not present it’s not going to work. Thing is now, no combination of power on order or install/uninstall fixes it.

Regular Android app and Kodi work fine no matter how I turn things on.

31 minutes ago, hstamas said:

Before I turned on the receiver

If the receiver is not on when the Android system comes up then there will definitely be issues.  Try being sure that the receiver is on before you bring up Emby.

27 minutes ago, hstamas said:

Logs tell you anything?

At the time of that log, the system was reporting no advanced audio support.  If you restart the Android device with the Receiver powered up, that should solve that.

hstamas
5 hours ago, ebr said:

At the time of that log, the system was reporting no advanced audio support.  If you restart the Android device with the Receiver powered up, that should solve that.

Your correct that did fix it. Sadly I can’t be rebooting my tv every time I turn it on. 

ludacris

I have a pretty similar problem. My TX-NR696 supports pretty much all audio formats, my TV (Philips 70PUS8505/12) is set to passtrough and it supports Dolby Vision yet, no file is played correctly with Dolby Vision or Atmos. I have been able to identify that TRUEHD Tracks and all DTS Tracks are reencoded to AC3 (DD+) but Dolby Vision is simply ignored - at best, I get HDR10. 

I am running Emby via the App in the Playstore on my TV. 

5 hours ago, ludacris said:

I have a pretty similar problem. My TX-NR696 supports pretty much all audio formats, my TV (Philips 70PUS8505/12) is set to passtrough and it supports Dolby Vision yet, no file is played correctly with Dolby Vision or Atmos. I have been able to identify that TRUEHD Tracks and all DTS Tracks are reencoded to AC3 (DD+) but Dolby Vision is simply ignored - at best, I get HDR10. 

I am running Emby via the App in the Playstore on my TV. 

Hi.  That sounds like a very different issue.  Can you please start a new thread and attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

18 hours ago, hstamas said:

Your correct that did fix it. Sadly I can’t be rebooting my tv every time I turn it on. 

What is the power on sequence and exactly how is everything hooked up?  There should be a way for things to power up in the proper order and not have this issue.

ludacris
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That sounds like a very different issue.  Can you please start a new thread and attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Except for the fact that emby only outputs DD+ 2.0 for most of my files on an Android device but well, lets flood the forum with an identical post, not my forum to moderate. 

Edited by ludacris

hstamas
5 hours ago, ebr said:

What is the power on sequence and exactly how is everything hooked up?  There should be a way for things to power up in the proper order and not have this issue.

They are both Sony product and use CEC to turn thing on at the same time. I’d have to guess the TV comes on maybe a second earlier than the receiver. I don’t think there is any way to adjust that.

But..

Even if I do it manually it doesn’t matter. Tv first or receiver first, the only way to get Emby recognizing that the receiver supports 5.1 is to reboot android completely while the receiver is on and that’s just not practical.

I am back on Kodi for the time being and I can turn the receiver off completely and when I turn it back on it still works. Kodi doesn’t forget like Emby does.

• Solution
hstamas

@ebr just wanted verify that the only solution in my case is to to a hard reboot of my TV any time I want 5.1 sound?

If you guys can get the regular Android app working with a BT remote I think that may be an option for me as that seemed to work consistently.

What are the differences between the 2 apps? What would I be loosing out on if I did switch to the regular Android app side loaded?

2 hours ago, hstamas said:

@ebr just wanted verify that the only solution in my case is to to a hard reboot of my TV any time I want 5.1 sound?

If you guys can get the regular Android app working with a BT remote I think that may be an option for me as that seemed to work consistently.

What are the differences between the 2 apps? What would I be loosing out on if I did switch to the regular Android app side loaded?

You won't lose anything. We're looking into the BT remote issue. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

hstamas

For shits and giggles I reactivated my Plex install and tried their Android TV app. No matter how I have things turned on or off Plex consistently outputs 5.1 sound. Doesnt matter if the TV is turned on with the receiver off then turning on the receiver and hour later.

So in all the software I have on my system its only Emby for AndroidTV that is exhibiting this issue sadly.