Synology 1821+

yoyo77yo

yoyo77yo

Actually i have DS916+ and i have 14 users on EMBY, with a lot of movies in 4K hdlight or blueray etc... so i wan't ti change my DS916+ for a better synology or qnap NAS. my priority is more storage and a nas with better transcode. can you help me for the better nas ? please

GrimReaper
Just now, yoyo77yo said:

i have 14 users on EMBY, with a lot of movies in 4K hdlight or blueray etc... my priority is more storage and a nas with better transcode

Then go with some QNAP that has QS enabled i3/i5/i7 Intel CPU (gen8 and up) and give DS1821+ a wide berth. 

yoyo77yo

Qnap have nas with pci Express slot for graphic card... but I do not know which one to choose and wich Nas to choose ? QNAP or synology

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, yoyo77yo said:

Qnap have nas with pci Express slot for graphic card... but I do not know which one to choose and wich Nas to choose ? QNAP or synology

I'd sat you won't need discreet graphics with the right model, as per above requirements. 

yoyo77yo

1500€ is the price max for nas without gaphic card and hard disk (many users use trasncode because they have MIBOX ou FIRESTIK and it is necessary to transcode sometimes

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, yoyo77yo said:

1500€ without hard disk

Personal preference, but I'd take a look at one of the TVS-872n/x/xt in that case. 

FrostByte

I have the 1821+ and it's an excellent NAS for running Emby server.  However, I do absolutely no video transcoding ever.  If you do any transcoding, you may want to consider an Intel model with a 4K gpu.

yoyo77yo

1821+ is very good idea for me because the cost of this server is better but it is not intel 4kGPU ... i love synology and my priority is 8 bay minimum so do you know a model of server who look like 1821+ but with 4GPU on synology

FrostByte

I think with Synology you would need the new 12 bay DS3622xs+ in order to also have a gpu for transcoding and the number of bays you want, but the xs+ models are very expensive.

What kind of CPU does my Synology NAS have? - Synology Knowledge Center

Qnap usually has better hardware specs, but I've always felt Synology had the better OS with DSM.  

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Another option would be using a NUC for Emby and just use the NAS for media storage.   

Yup, and it'd be quite cheaper solution (my portable server is NUC8 with Iris Plus iGPU and it's still a beast, I can only imagine what do later generations do), hence my first post was:

2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Depends what would you like to do with it.

Storage only or additional requirements. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

yoyo77yo

I think the same : I LOVE OS with DSM... that's why i'm not very interrested for QNAP but if it is the best solution for 2000€ ... i have no choice... another model ? i am not for NUC because i use my synology for 3 camera so dsm is the best for that

FrostByte

Another option is something like the DS920+ with expansion cabinet.  That would get you a gpu plus 9 bays.  But the expansion cabinet is almost as expensive as another NAS

Edited by FrostByte

yoyo77yo

and the difference betwenn DS920+ and QNAP TVS-872 xt ? which is the best ? not to mention the number of hard drives

please