subtitles bugs for desktop 3.0.15 and store version 1.1.388

turpentine

turpentine

hello emby friends.

I have tested multiple files with dts tracks and .srt subtitle inside mkv files.

if you chose an mkv files with only ac3 tracks both versions displays srt subtitles correctly.

but if you have files with both ac3 and dts tracks here is my tests.

with the version 3.0.15 installed with installer. if you choose in the client app to display a subtitle track (srt format) it displays nothing (i mean subtitles are not displayed at all in the 3.0.15 windows client). no subtitles displayed at all (in play method : transcode 720p 4MB/S). the server transcode audio dts to ac3, and video to a lower bitrate.

with the windows store version 1.1.388, the .srt subtitles are displayed and not out of sync, but time to time, in somes characters dialogs some subtitles are not displayed, despite they exits, in play method : transcode 720p 4MB/S). i have not made test about direct play and direct stream yet.

Edited by turpentine

turpentine

Hello @luke

here are the logs,

when you choose french dts track and french .srt, it displays nothing on version desktop 3.0.15 (windows 10). i mean subtitles are not displayed at all with dts tracks.

on windows store client 1.1.388 , subtitles are displayed and sync; but for a weird reason, sometimes some subtitles very frequently are not shown. in transcode mode only

ffmpeg-transcode-b0673564-2593-436e-9060-9aa01671709d_1.txtembyserver.txt

thanx a lot and have a nice day.

PS i have found a workaround concerning desktop version, i have to choose another subtitle (for exemple forced) then going back to french (not forced) to display them.

But if you run a video for the first time selecting french subtitles with dts tracks. the french subtitles will be never displayed, on 3.0.15 during playback

1133411642_defaultplay.jpg.dc9935fc4d5cac1afc2818c8ad194f11.jpg

Edited by turpentine
added image

On 12/29/2021 at 4:34 PM, turpentine said:

Hello @luke

here are the logs,

when you choose french dts track and french .srt, it displays nothing on version desktop 3.0.15 (windows 10). i mean subtitles are not displayed at all with dts tracks.

on windows store client 1.1.388 , subtitles are displayed and sync; but for a weird reason, sometimes some subtitles very frequently are not shown. in transcode mode only

ffmpeg-transcode-b0673564-2593-436e-9060-9aa01671709d_1.txt 48.59 kB · 4 downloads embyserver.txt 6.6 MB · 5 downloads

thanx a lot and have a nice day.

PS i have found a workaround concerning desktop version, i have to choose another subtitle (for exemple forced) then going back to french (not forced) to display them.

But if you run a video for the first time selecting french subtitles with dts tracks. the french subtitles will be never displayed, on 3.0.15 during playback

1133411642_defaultplay.jpg.dc9935fc4d5cac1afc2818c8ad194f11.jpg

We extract the subtitles on the fly, but it looks like for your server this process takes too long. In server transcoding settings you can disable on the fly subtitle transcoding.

Please note, this will result in a lot more transcoding, so you might not like that either. Try to use external subtitles for best performance.

• Thanks 1

turpentine
21 minutes ago, Luke said:

Please note, this will result in a lot more transcoding, so you might not like that either. Try to use external subtitles for best performance.

@Luke

thanks for your answers

i will do but it is quite stange, when i use 3.0.15 on windows 10 PC client. the subtitles never show up for the first read on dts tracks. i swap subtitles (english / french)  and everything is fine.

when i use 3.0.15 on a windows 7 PC client, i have not issues at all. on windows 7 client, even dts tracks subtitles will always show up on the fly... i understand nothing, it is not logical.

Edited by turpentine

32 minutes ago, turpentine said:

@Luke

thanks for your answers

i will do but it is quite stange, when i use 3.0.15 on windows 10 PC client. the subtitles never show up for the first read on dts tracks. i swap subtitles (english / french)  and everything is fine.

when i use 3.0.15 on a windows 7 PC client, i have not issues at all. on windows 7 client, even dts tracks subtitles will always show up on the fly... i understand nothing, it is not logical.

The log you provided has the quality setting around 4 mbps, therefore it was transcoding. When it worked before, it was probably direct playing, in which case, no extraction needed.

turpentine
8 hours ago, Luke said:

The log you provided has the quality setting around 4 mbps, therefore it was transcoding. When it worked before, it was probably direct playing, in which case, no extraction needed.

@luke it is what i thought, but i am at a place for christmas with 2 pcs with a poor internet connection, so that is why it is only set and forced to 4MB/S on both computers. my max speed is around 8

the pc connected to wifi (windows 10) with 3.0.15 on the same movie, do not want to display subtitles when first activating french srt and french audioh  dts. if you swap subtitles during playback everything is back again.

my other pc laptop connected to wifi (old windows 7) with 3.0.15 on the same movie (same forced speed) will never do issues, and display subtitles correctly. that is what makes me mad :)

why 2 different PC client , on the same file, same forced max speed, do not have the same behaviour.

have a nice day.