some help abouy emby clients for windows (windows store or desktop).

turpentine

turpentine

Hello emby friends,

my emby server is running inside synology under linux.

i am a little bit lost with the windows clients available for us.

i have a pc connected to a 5.1 speakers systems Fenda F3800X. i do not use web navigators to connect to play emby content (firefox or chrome), just because web navigators are not able to produce 5.1 sound. therefore emby server with web navigators always transcode to stereo.

For the moment the only client i have found working is the windows store client emby theater 1.1.388. then windows 10 correctly output 5.1 sound, and emby theather also. it sends correctly ac3 without transcoding anything. 😛

But it seems this emby "windows store" client is not updated for some time 2016.

i browsed emby forums, and i have noticed there is a windows desktop app version 3.0.15 (seems better than 1.1.388). i have unzipped everything, and i tried to run

"c:\Program Files\Emby Theater\Emby.Theater.exe"  and nothing is showing.  how can i make the windows desktop app working ?

does this version 3.0.15 support natively 5.1 sound ?

thanks for you help and have a nice day.

Edited by turpentine
correction typing

Happy2Play
21 minutes ago, turpentine said:

But it seems this emby "windows store" client is not updated for some time 2016.

What do you mean?  You can not go off the date the forum topic was created as Admins updates do not change topic date.  But a newer store version is in the works.

25 minutes ago, turpentine said:

i browsed emby forums, and i have noticed there is a windows desktop app version 3.0.15 (seems better than 1.1.388). i have unzipped everything, and i tried to run

"c:\Program Files\Emby Theater\Emby.Theater.exe"  and nothing is showing.  how can i make the windows desktop app working ?

Had to say on a custom install.  Do you get the same results with the installer?

Emby Theater - Emby

26 minutes ago, turpentine said:

does this version 3.0.15 support natively 5.1 sound ?

Yes, currently the Desktop version has a wider range of support then the Store version.

But Edge supports ac3 5.1.

image.png.01f5322f5b8f3f591425d6275104021d.png

@Lukedoes the MS Store release date ever change?

image.png.1f517af86d841f63ab564f7dc1ab8cf3.png

turpentine
40 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

What do you mean?  You can not go off the date the forum topic was created as Admins updates do not change topic date.  But a newer store version is in the works.

Had to say on a custom install.  Do you get the same results with the installer?

i mean that the topic was last in 2016 and in the windows store the release date of the app is 2016. so it was quite logical to think wrongly the windows store app is not updated anymore. 1.1.388 < 3.0.15 but now i see it is completly different apps.

yes i unzipped the zipped file where x64 programs should always go manually, therefore  i have not found anywhere the installer for 3.0.15.

i have managed to make the 3.0.15 version, by forcing the windows shortcut to be run as administrator. where could i find the installer ?

i have run both version on my old Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         X6800  @ 2.93GHz   2.93 GHz CPU, and my CPU prefers more the store version than 3.0.15 version :). Cpu when playing goes about 40% with 3.0.15, and only 15% with the store version :)

is the version 1.1.388 the last store version ?

thanks for all 😛

Edited by turpentine

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, turpentine said:

where could i find the installer ?

The link I provide above is the installer for ET Desktop ie v3.0.15.

13 minutes ago, turpentine said:

i have run both version on my old Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         X6800  @ 2.93GHz   2.93 GHz CPU, and my CPU prefers more the store version than 3.0.15 version :). Cpu when playing goes about 40% with 3.0.15, and only 15% with the store version :)

Need to go over specific examples and their playback method in each app.  Desktop ET has more configurable options then the Store version.

18 minutes ago, turpentine said:

is the version 1.1.388 the last store version ?

Yes that is the current version.

turpentine
8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

The link I provide above is the installer for ET Desktop ie v3.0.15.

Need to go over specific examples and their playback method in each app.  Desktop ET has more configurable options then the Store version.

Yes that is the current version.

thank you for your answers. by the way i have tested microsoft edge web app. for ac3 tracks insides files, it plays correctly.

but if you have dts tracks. the server transcode it to mp3, which is really bad. you loose 5.1 sound, making me hate web browsers :)

i will stick with the windows store version for my old pc. and my new pcs will use the 3.0.15 versions 😛

Edited by turpentine
  • Thanks 1

turpentine

by the way, is it possible for normal microsoft edge web play (without the 2 windows emby theater clients) to make emby sever send an ac3 transcode instead of mp3 ? as microsoft edge seems to support only ac3 for multiple speakers systems ? i mean for the files with dts tracks.

Edited by turpentine