Can't connect to server from roku 3

Allan Cameron
Go to solution Solved by Allan Cameron,

Allan Cameron

Hello,

I have installed the server on my windows 8 PC and the channel on my roku 3.

I can't seem to ever connect to the server from the roku 3, i have tried all the manual IP settings on the roku side, but nothing.

Might not be relevant, but the plex server works with my roku perfect, nothing to monkey with.

Looking foward to checking this out if i can get some help connecting,

thanks again,

Allan

sfnetwork

First, try accessing the MB server from web client (from another PC or device) to confirm Win 8 isn't blocking generally.

Then make sure Roku is in the same IP range as MB server and confirm MB server PC can ping it.

Edited by sfnetwork

techywarrior

well he said it works with plex so i assume they're both running on the same machine.

Could be that the ports aren't open/forwarded.

Allan Cameron

Thanks guys, yes plex runs from the same pc.

My setup is, the roku and pc direct line to my modem/router.

i tried to add the ip on the roku side. http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser and also localhost:8096/mediabrowser but nothing.

I opened the ports in my FW also and added the server exe to the allowed programs rules.

Hmm, anything else i can try?

I tried to connect to the server on my phone using http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser ... but no luck.

Thanks!

localhost on the roku will not work it has to be the ip of the sever. That url is just for the webclient (or did you try the web client from the roku

sfnetwork

well he said it works with plex so i assume they're both running on the same machine.

with the MyPlex feature, I thought it could have gone through the WAN...

SilenceMe

Like Tikuf said, MB server IP ("ipconfig" in a command prompt to confirm the IP)

"localhost" is a variable for the device's IP.

• Solution
Allan Cameron

ok, thanks for the help.. got it working by doing the "cmd" and then "ipconfig" to get my PC's IP. Then added it to the roku with port 8096.. and i'm in now.

One more question, i just made a donation using paypal but my medal on the server still shows silver.

Is this normal?

• Like 1