Reverting to Previous Server Version After Update

overClocked!

overClocked!

I would like to clarify something.

Refer to this thread:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9947-Comcast-cable-and-live-tv-windows-server-%3F/page__view__findpost__p__126945

And this thread about multiple FFMPEG installations :

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9947-Comcast-cable-and-live-tv-windows-server-%3F/page__view__findpost__p__126945

Although there is no officially supported procedure for rolling back to a previous version of MB Server, it has been stated that replacing the contents of C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System folder with that of C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System.old accomplishes this.

Is a specific server version bound to the FFMPEG.exe in a specific file path? If so, it seems that we need to also preserve a backup the ffmpeg folder before performing any updates. Correct?

I have several different builds of ffmpeg that have accumulated with a new one introduced in a unique file path each time I perform a significant update the server application.

post-2317-14107894352972_thumb.jpg

@@Luke mentioned that the server install process will start to purge old versions starting with the next server release. But will this break transcoding and playback function when someone tries to revert back to a previous server version?

Maybe in some instances.  But, like you said, this method is not officially supported.  Therefore, it may not always work.

The purpose of that folder is so that the update process can recover if there is a failure of some sort during the update - not really for the user rolling back.