Like It's Starting For The First Time

Dreakon13

Dreakon13

This is on my Pixel 3 phone.  Emby for Android version 3.2.32

When I send the app to the background (ie. press the button at the bottom of the phone to go back to the phones home screen), wait a minute or two, then go back into Emby... the app acts like it's starting up for the first time, seeing the Emby splash screen for example.

This is particularly noticeable when using Chromecast for music, like to a Google Home device, because it loses its connection to the device its casting to and the play queue becomes unavailable.  Thankfully once I reconnect/re-cast to the device, the play queue comes back fully functional... but it seems like a few unnecessary steps seeing as I never closed out of the app and may be leading to other quirky behavior.

Let me know if that makes sense please, or if I can do anything to help.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Dreakon13

Thanks @Luke, it's pretty consistent but I think you need to wait like 2-3 minutes with Emby in the background to make it happen.  I've attached a video demonstrating the issue (along with some other unintentional quirks like the playlist not showing at the end).

At the beginning you can see music playing via Chromecast.  I press the button at the bottom of the screen to go back to the phones home screen (pushing Emby and other apps to the background).  I let it sit for 2-3 minutes, then around 2:50 I pull up the open apps, select Emby, and I get the splash screen like I'm opening it for the first time.  Nothing appears to be happening (the music has been playing through the Google Home the whole time)... then I select my Office speaker again, and the music playback/play queue becomes visible again.

20211228_101139.mkv

Edited by Dreakon13

Dreakon13

Honestly even just letting it sit with Emby open and the screen on, it keeps losing connection with the Chromecast device. The music continues to play, I get the queue back when I reconnect manually, but the mobile apps Chromecast connection seems a bit dicey in general.

Edited by Dreakon13

raidflex

I have this same issue and have had this issue for a while. Currently on a Pixel 4XL, but I also had the issue on a Samsung S10. I can cast no problem, but as the OP stated after a short time the emby app losses connection to the Chromecast device. Reconnecting to the Chromecast will then bring back control of the currently playing content. This can get annoying to have to keep reconnecting to the Chromecast in order to regain control.

I do not have this issue with other apps like Netflix or Disney+.

I also noticed that if I pull down my notification shade I can still see the Emby  app play controls and can still pause/play the content. If then go to bring the Emby app from the background to forground the  play controls disappear and the app shows disconnected from the Chromecast.

Edited by raidflex
  • Like 1

wordlover

I have same issue when Chromecasting from Pixel 3a, Pixel 5a, and a Samsung tablet, all running most up-to-date Android client.

• 1 month later...

I have this issue when casting from a Samsung A71, but not when i cast from a Samsung galaxy tab A7. Both devices fully up to date on android, accessing the same media server and chromecast dongle on the same network. I think the A71 issue has existed for 6-9months at least.

Dreakon13

Yeah, I wanted to follow up on this.  The issue is still present, but it seems to happen less often when I'm playing long running audio files.  For example, if I'm listening to a 2-3 hour long radio show MP3, it stays pretty solid.  It will probably still do it's "starting over" thing, but maybe after like 30-40 minutes instead of 3.  If I'm listening to a play queue of normal 2-4 minute songs, it seems much less stable.  I don't think the fact its running through multiple songs is causing it, but it doesn't seem to help lol.

If that info helps at all.

• 1 month later...
Dreakon13

Just kinda following up again... still an issue on 3.2.44.  Is it on your radars at all still, have you been able to recreate it/believe us that it's happening? lol

A part of me kind of wonders if it's some sort of battery optimization thing that closes background processes that it thinks are being unused.

None of the settings I could find to prevent that sort of thing helped with it... but maybe the fact it's casting and my Google Home device is doing the heavy lifting... it's leaving the Emby app floating in the background unused, and my phone (Pixel 3) is turning it off?

I could also be way off.  It's a tad frustrating though to have to reconnect to my Google Home almost every time I want to change songs or view/adjust the Play Queue (though I do appreciate that I can do these things now while casting, newly fixed in 4.7).

Edited by Dreakon13

• 4 weeks later...
Dreakon13

Hi, is there anything I can do to help troubleshoot this in lieu of your team not being able to reproduce the issue?  Is there a way to enable logging that I could pass along, since I don't think my phone is generating them (the folder wasn't there)?

Edited by Dreakon13

Dreakon13

Attached are two log files.  I installed that apk, connected to my server, casted to my Google Home device and started playing an album.  Let it go for a few songs, went back into the already running app and it opened... like it was starting for the first time.  Then I recasted to the Google Home device to bring my running play queue back in.

I'm guessing the two logs represent before and after it "lost itself" and I re-opened it?  That's how the timestamps would appear to me, though the first log seems to cut out abruptly (likely due to whatever is causing this problem) without any detail so I'm not sure how helpful it is.

Hope it helps though.

d2df4147-8863-4fbf-affe-d656b90ee7e6.log f3a33926-bb3a-456a-aba9-964422248979.log

Edited by Dreakon13

On 5/3/2022 at 3:35 PM, Dreakon13 said:

Attached are two log files.  I installed that apk, connected to my server, casted to my Google Home device and started playing an album.  Let it go for a few songs, went back into the already running app and it opened... like it was starting for the first time.  Then I recasted to the Google Home device to bring my running play queue back in.

I'm guessing the two logs represent before and after it "lost itself" and I re-opened it?  That's how the timestamps would appear to me, though the first log seems to cut out abruptly (likely due to whatever is causing this problem) without any detail so I'm not sure how helpful it is.

Hope it helps though.

d2df4147-8863-4fbf-affe-d656b90ee7e6.log 42.52 kB · 2 downloads f3a33926-bb3a-456a-aba9-964422248979.log 19.55 kB · 1 download

HI, was this 3.2.47 or 3.2.48?

Dreakon13
On 5/7/2022 at 12:20 AM, Luke said:

HI, was this 3.2.47 or 3.2.48?

It was the one you posted, 3.2.47 I believe.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Dreakon13

Just wanted to say this is still very much so an issue on 3.2.50

I kind of want to blame my phone, but Plex did the same thing for a while with its Android mobile app and I specifically remember there being an update one time probably years ago that fixed this issue right in its release notes.  So I'm still holding out hope you guys can recreate and fix it someday too lol.

EDIT: I think I mentioned it before but I'll say it again. When I cast longer running audio files (2-3 hours)... it seems to hold up pretty well.  When I play a longer playlist/play queue of individual songs and its moving to a new song every couple minutes... it's very quick to do this whole thing and lose the connection to the device I'm casting to.  It kinda seems like there's some jank in maintaining the connection as it plays through multiple short items, instead of sitting on one long item.

And I guess to reiterate, this does seem to be specifically related to casting.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 2 weeks later...
Dreakon13

This may be common knowledge, but something I noticed today.  If I cast to my Google Home device from my Android (Pixel 3) phone and play music, I can restart or even shut down my phone and it continues to play uninterrupted.

I'm guessing this means that once the phone establishes the connection between the server and the Google Home device, that it's not really involved in the process anymore.  Basically a temporary remote control.  And might be why phones sensitive to inactivity may be closing the app in the background, or something?

Talking out of my ass but I dunno if maybe the app can just send periodic heartbeats to the OS, in particular when casting, to make sure there's no misunderstandings on the OS's side of things about wanting to keep the app open.  I've turned off everything I can on the phone to prevent auto closing background processes but from what I'm reading the Pixel is bad with that, may be unavoidable on my end.

Just in case this random tidbit of info and speculation maybe gets the wheels turning at all.  I've started just closing the app intentionally when I cast music, that way it's consistently disconnected at least (as I said, the music still plays) and I'm not guessing what state it'll be in every time I refocus the app.  Just a pain in the butt to have to reconnect to the casted device every time if I ever need to pause/stop quick to take a phone call or change songs quickly to skip something embarrassing lol.

Edited by Dreakon13

Yes that's the tricky part because we already do repeatedly notify the OS via the media session API.

Dreakon13
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes that's the tricky part because we already do repeatedly notify the OS via the media session API.

Would that apply even when the phone isn't really controlling the session (ie. the server and the Google Home device don't need the phone to work)?

Is there anything I could do/provide that I haven't already to confirm it?

Edited by Dreakon13

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dreakon13

Version 3.2.55

It feels like this has improved, been listening to albums and playlists for an hour or two tonight and only had one instance of the app closing/disconnecting from the casted device.  Used to happen every few minutes.  Maybe it's just a placebo, I'll keep playing with it and see how it is, but if you guys made any changes in an effort to help with this issue... thank you! and please keep going if possible!! 😁

Edited by Dreakon13