Browser 4K streaming

bjjones

bjjones

@Luke you might want to move this one to the beta forum, not sure if its synology version specific or it might have always been this way.

was streaming a 4K to a browser and all 3 behaved differently on beta 4.7.019, was trying to recreate under stable but ran into problems, see above .

the top one is streaming to Edge, it doesn't work at all completely stuttered, the second which presents the same but was Chrome real Chrome was flaky, the 3rd firefox played just fine

4K_directstreamjpg.jpg

GrimReaper

1. Edge HEVC playback has been broken for some time though it reports support for it, hence DirectPlay, you can maybe hack it by installing previous version of HEVC codec, try 1.0.31823 (uninstall current version first). 

2. It appears transcoding was not fast enough and it couldn't keep up, maybe your server was busy doing some other stuff. 

3. Here transcoding progress was barely keeping up, with 2 sec buffer. 

Overall I'd say your HD500 is underpowered or at least bare minimum for 4K HEVC transcoding, and you should preferably try to avoid it alltogether. 

• Like 1

bjjones

Thanks for the info. I was mainly curious as to why 3 different browser clients were served completely different streams, especially the Edge one getting a direct play stream.

The only reason I brought it up was under 4.6.7 stable I'm pretty sure it also was transcoded down to x264. Took your advice and replaced my HEVC driver with the 1.0.31 one you linked, I was running  1.0.42, it made no difference but having a stable one seems the best advice. It works perfectly in Media Center and Emby Theater as a direct play X265.

It's certainly not a powerhouse CPU but the QSV must offload a big chunk of that workload, the CPU utilization shown in resource manager never crept above 30ish percent - I guess the GPU subsystem has it's performance envelope that's aside from the overall CPU and that piece may have been at its limits.

8 hours ago, bjjones said:

Thanks for the info. I was mainly curious as to why 3 different browser clients were served completely different streams, especially the Edge one getting a direct play stream.

The best available techniques are used for each browser depending on what it supports.