Guide data incorrect Baltimore, MD region WMAR subchannel LAFF

saturnaqua

saturnaqua

One channel seems to be getting wrong guide data. It's WMAR subchannel LAFF (2.2 in Baltimore, MD area). It correctly reported the right shows earlier this week and I just noticed today it's now showing the show listings as all various Westerns. I tuned the channel to make sure it's still LAFF and my settings in the channel setup show it's still set for 2.2/LAFF.

laff-setting.png

guide.png

If you go to https://www.laff.com/ you can see what the current broadcast is as well as watch the channel.

In Emby web if you go down to the Live TV setup area and click on the Channels menu, what does it show for 2.2 guide wise?

saturnaqua

Here you can see it's still set for LAFF, so it seems like the upstream provider accidentally switched something and it's reporting wrong data now.

Currently guide shows "The Deputy" while the LAFF channel is showing "That 70's Show" and agrees with what the website states they are showing (plus I checked on a TV with a straight antenna connection).

Fortunately it's just this one channel and I don't really record anything on sub-channels, but the guide is handy if I feel like looking for something to watch live rather than looking it up on the internet.

Screenshot 2021-12-24 163840.png

Screenshot 2021-12-24 164336.png

Screenshot 2021-12-24 164407.png

OK Thanks.  I just reported this for you but have no idea what the turnaround time is on this is at this time of the year.

saturnaqua

Thanks. Like I said, fortunately it's a sub-channel I rarely use, but figured I would report it so it can be fixed on the backend.

• Like 1

No problem with that.  If it's wrong it's wrong, sub or main channel, doesn't matter!

Appreciate you letting us know,
Carlo

saturnaqua

I just wanted to let you know that they did seem to fix the issue and the guide has been correct for past few days, however, for some reason, starting tomorrow (Wednesday 1/5) it's back to showing westerns again. Poking around the internet, looks like the listings match what the Grit channel shows on their website, so not sure why the guide provider has this broken again after fixing it earlier.

• Thanks 1

I just sent another email to them letting them know exactly what you said.

Might be some kind of automation kicked in overwriting the fix they did or something like that.

saturnaqua

It seemed weird, so I checked this morning and it turns out I guess the guide is right. Seems WMAR swapped out the subchannel to Grit without announcing them dropping LAFF, so I guess the earlier snafu was they switched the guide to Grit before the broadcast went live. Verified by tuning to the channel and it is showing the Grit logo.

LOL, I guess that's the way they decided to announce the switch. :)

Got to love the people in charge of stations. You can't help but wonder sometimes how they passed grade school let alone got that type of job.

saturnaqua

Thanks for the heads up, I did see that on rabbitears. However, 39 is a low power station and being west of Westminster (more towards Frederick), means I only get 2, 45, 54 and 67. To fill in the gap for the missing 11 and 13 I have to use a second antenna pointing to PA. Anything other than what I get now would be a pipe dream. Things might improve with ATSC3, but I'm waiting for support to show up in Emby before I even start investigating getting ATSC3 tuners.

I have a feeling the North East stations are going to be among the last to do the conversions. We have some densely packed airwaves making it really tough compared to most markets. A lot of markets share towers so it's not unusual to see an ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX on the same tower.  East coast mentality doesn't let that happen very often so all 4 of the big boys will have their own towers and of course their own sub channels.  That makes trying to shuffle things around to broadcast with ATSC3 in addition to what's already broadcast that much harder.