Force Roku Emby to Always Transcode

nanite2000

nanite2000

Hi,

Is there a way to for the Roku Emby app to *always* transcode videos by default?

The reason I ask is that there is a (hopefully temporary) issue with the 2020 Roku Ultra that means colours are severely distorted for HEVC video playback (see https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Severe-color-contrast-distortion-while-Plex-streaming-HEVC-EAC3-videos/td-p/634403). This is a problem for me as I have lots of TV shows in HEVC format.

I can fix the issue for each individual episode by bringing up the on-screen display and clicking the gear/cog, and then clicking 'playback correction'.

However, the fix only works for the video that is playing at the time, and will revert back to the default 'DirectPlay' when the next video plays so I have to do this manually for every video - which is especially inconvenient when watching multiple episodes back-to-back.

If it's not possible to change the Roku app settings, is there a server setting I can enable to do this as an alternative?

Thanks!

Hi.  You could set the bitrate limit such that a transcode would be needed.  Other than that, I don't think so, no.

nanite2000

Thanks @ebr.

Would that be a high bitrate, or a low bitrate? I've tried some of the higher ones and it doesn't appear to make any difference. Will Emby skip transcoding if the source video bitrate is already lower than the target bitrate?

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, nanite2000 said:

Thanks @ebr.

Would that be a high bitrate, or a low bitrate? I've tried some of the higher ones and it doesn't appear to make any difference. Will Emby skip transcoding if the source video bitrate is already lower than the target bitrate?

Bitrate has to be lower than the item being played.  So this can be problematic as you have movies with really high bitrates, but episodes with rather low bitrates.