Help for the seriously challenged newb

narayansmate
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

narayansmate

Hi. Soooo new to this. I have a Synology DS220+. I have used a guide to set up the nas and have transferred all my media to it. I have also installed the Emby package on it, opened it, signed up for Premiere and tried to add my library. The problem is it doesn't see any files. HOW do I get it to see the files on my NAS. Bear in mind I don't know that much about this, so apologies and no eye rolling please...

Happy2Play

Moving to Synology section

What DSM version?  If DSM 7 did you verify internal user on your Shares?

permissions.jpg

narayansmate

Hi. Thanks for responding so quickly. I have never used or had a NAS before. I am using DSM 7. No, I did not. I just followed the wizard. Is there an easy guide for full setup somewhere which just allows me to get to my media easily? Thanks in advance.

narayansmate

So, I think the real problem is: how do I point Emby towards the network share? I don't seem to be able to access it or find it, per the attached image. Is it the IP address or?? Sorry, and thanks.

Capture.PNG

• Solution
FrostByte

Here is an example of my Movies library. 

• MEDIA-SERVER is my NAS name, but you could use the IP
  • MyEmbyMedia is the share name I'm using just like the pic H2P posted earlier.
  • Underneath the share is a folder for the library Movies
  • Underneath Movies I have folders for each movie

embyfolders.jpg.02bb50fe6586edded305824825835a5c.jpg

22 minutes ago, narayansmate said:

Thanks so much for that. I'll give it a whirl and report back 

Just to confirm, right now you are trying to add media already on the NAS to Emby correct? That's what @FrostByte is showing you above.

You can also add media from network locations as well but there is one step needed first. Then you would do the same thing.

narayansmate

Correct. The NAS is set up. I have added folders, added user called emby, edited shares so that the data can be accessed. I tried using https://www.wundertech.net/how-to-set-up-emby-on-a-synology-nas/. Don't know if that's right. Anyway, I've added just one folder to the nas called Movies. I'm sorry but I just  really don't know what I'm doing which is why I was looking for a simle guide. Tried using Emby's guide but got hopelessly lost. It would be good if there was a one on one scenario.

Capture.PNG

narayansmate

OK. So, I now have access to one share, so that's genius. I'll try the same approach with the others. Thanks so much for your help, forum staff!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
narayansmate

Hi all. Now I have perfect setup and access. Thanks again to all. May I push the companionship on emby community a little further? I now can access WITHIN my local network but not from outside it. Any ideas on how I set that up? Remembering I'm a complete newb? Many thanks in advance...

On 1/1/2022 at 10:21 PM, narayansmate said:

Hi all. Now I have perfect setup and access. Thanks again to all. May I push the companionship on emby community a little further? I now can access WITHIN my local network but not from outside it. Any ideas on how I set that up? Remembering I'm a complete newb? Many thanks in advance...

Several steps are needed to put your Emby Server on the internet for remote use.  I'd suggest starting here:
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002137137-remote-setup

I'd do a couple checks first to see if you will have any issues.  First go here: https://speed.cloudflare.com/ and run a speedtest.  What we care about is your upload speed.
If you're not at a bare minimum at least 10 to 15Mb there is no point as you don't have the bandwidth to stream properly.  20 to 25MB would really be better.

Next go into network menu on Emby Server and enable the option to have Emby remote.  Restart the server.  After the restart you will have both a local and remote URL show up on the main dashboard top left.  You will have a setup of numbers in the URL for the remote URL.  Open a browser and go to www.canyouseeme.org.  Do those numbers match?  If they match you can proceed.  If they are different your ISP is masking your real IP making it harder to accomplish so let us know and we can try and assist.

aflagator

Having similar issues but with Synology DS420j running DSM 7.0.1-42218 and Emby version 4.6.7.0.  Odd, when installed EMBY, EMBY user was changed to 'EMBY__PKG_'  I have granted read/write to this user to the Share Drive location where the Video is located.  Also pointed the EMBY to the /volume1/Movies_1  share folder.  It see's the folder, just no content.  I too am very new to this NAS and EMBY, so any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, aflagator said:

Having similar issues but with Synology DS420j running DSM 7.0.1-42218 and Emby version 4.6.7.0.  Odd, when installed EMBY, EMBY user was changed to 'EMBY__PKG_'  I have granted read/write to this user to the Share Drive location where the Video is located.  Also pointed the EMBY to the /volume1/Movies_1  share folder.  It see's the folder, just no content.  I too am very new to this NAS and EMBY, so any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Ignore that other user.  The only user you need under DSM 7 is the "System internal user" Emby.  You will need to use the dropdown box to see it when setting the read/write permissions on the shares.

aflagator

Thanks, but with the Synology Version DSM 7.0.1-42218, I don't have a drop down box for determining if this is a "System Internal User'.  If I try and add user EMBY, it says that name is already built or reserved for system use.  (I only see this as a pop-up on the user name field once added; the user name field changes to a red outlined box and if you move the move to that user/name field, it will display pop-up).  I cannot find anywhere to modify system users.  Any thoughts?  Anb thanks so much.

FrostByte

It's under the permissions for shared folders. The install "should" have automatically created the System internal user called 'Emby'

Emby doesn't use local users for permissions on Synology anymore.  You can delete them all if you wish.

permissions.thumb.jpg.0fb8acbf634f7542238dae77611eab50.jpg

aflagator

Thanks, I appreciate the guidance.  With your screen shot as guidance, I finally found the section within Permissions with System user option.  It's working.  I was told EMBY support was good.  You more than proved it!  Thanks very much.  Next step is getting it to pull from smart TV/Emby app and then it will be Emby Premier for me due to the great response from you.  Again, thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, aflagator said:

Odd, when installed EMBY, EMBY user was changed to 'EMBY__PKG_' 

Just so you know what EMBY_PKG user is.  This was the Emby user that was used with DSM 6.  Once you're up and running on DSM 7 and happy with everything and have no need for any of the DSM 6 stuff you can remove this old user.  I'd rename the /volume1/Emby directory to /volume1/Emby-old for a couple week just to make sure nothing was referencing the old location.  If using the backup configuration plugin make sure you didn't set it up in that location.

After a couple of weeks of smooth running feel free to delete the old DSM 6 directory.

• 3 weeks later...
narayansmate
On 1/5/2022 at 11:31 AM, cayars said:

Several steps are needed to put your Emby Server on the internet for remote use.  I'd suggest starting here:
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002137137-remote-setup

I'd do a couple checks first to see if you will have any issues.  First go here: https://speed.cloudflare.com/ and run a speedtest.  What we care about is your upload speed.
If you're not at a bare minimum at least 10 to 15Mb there is no point as you don't have the bandwidth to stream properly.  20 to 25MB would really be better.

Next go into network menu on Emby Server and enable the option to have Emby remote.  Restart the server.  After the restart you will have both a local and remote URL show up on the main dashboard top left.  You will have a setup of numbers in the URL for the remote URL.  Open a browser and go to www.canyouseeme.org.  Do those numbers match?  If they match you can proceed.  If they are different your ISP is masking your real IP making it harder to accomplish so let us know and we can try and assist.

Hiya. Well, my upload speed test was shite, so it seems I cannot stream outside my network. Not a biggie. Thanks so much for your help. Everything else is working perfectly, thanks.

• Like 1