can't start emby server on synology DS2415+

al2h

Hello, I've got a message on my android phone (and tablet) that I need to upgrade my emby server. (no problem on android TV device)

I have not found solution so I have uninstall emby server and reinstall it on my synology nas.

But now, emby server refuse to start...

Any idea?

Thank you for reply, I have tried few ones:

emby-server-synology_4.6.1.0_x86_64 (installation ok)

emby-server-synology_4.6.7.0_x86_64 (installation ok)

emby-server-synology7_4.6.7.0_x86_64 ( wrong DSM)

5 hours ago, al2h said:

Hello, yes DSM6 and the NAS is a DS2415+.

That's a nice NAS!

What I would suggest is to fire up a VM on that box with DSM 6 and Emby install with a test library and 2 or 3 users added.
Take a snapshot of the VM after you build it and do a dry run updating DSM 6 to DSM 7 and then upgrading Emby with our migration instructions.

If you have other software besides Emby that didn't come directly from Synology you could install those as well before the DSM upgrade.
This way you are fully prepared and have already done a test run or two. Having taken the snapshot after getting everything installed you could quickly revert back to that and do another practice run quite easily as well. 

You'll be able to comfortably run the the DSM upgrade and any 3rd party program migrations quite easily at that point.

What I was referring to earlier is this:
image.png.cecd72e3f9924f746ce3cad6e9133c01.png

It's available in the Package Center.  It allows you to setup and run "virtual machines".  So you could setup and run Windows or Linux on your Synology box. It's contained and is like a separate computer.

When you open it and click the create button you get these choices
image.png.efef6bb2c7791710ffef56159556b416.png

As you can see, one type of virtual machine you can deploy is an actual Synology virtual NAS. It will walk you through the setup just like when you first installed it on the read hardware.

So the idea behind that is to have DSM 6 installed with any 3rd party apps as well.  Then you can upgrade this virtual NAS just as you would do on your actual NAS.  It allows you to experience how this will work and allow you to run through the migration steps.  If you get stuck or don't understand anything you can come back here and ask about it.

Far better to be able to ask questions and do a dry run upgrade/migration in a virtual machine then on your actual NAS.  If something goes poorly in the VM it's no big deal and you just learned what not to do. :)

It's possible you might have some other software that isn't compatible with DSM 7 and you would want to reach out to the vendor first before doing the upgrade.

Of course this is purely optional but for the hours time it would take you to do this might be worth it.

OK, I have upgrade DSM to 7, it' OK.

I have install emby server and it's OK, it' runing.

I gave all the permission and ... It' working fine!

Thank you for your help and the video!

• Like 1

Nicely done @al2h.

How long was the overall process for you from starting the DSM 7 upgrade to having Emby up and running?