cannot get data from themoviedb.org

zhongqingyun

zhongqingyun

my emby server has some problem reaching themoviedb.org, as i am from china mainland, i have to change my dns to access themoviedb.org, after that, i can use tmm to get metadata from themoviedb.org, but my emby server still cannot accesss themoviedb.org, please help me to get the right result, thanks

2021-12-20 14:23:03.595 Error App: Error in TheMovieDb
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.6.7.0
	Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Linux version 4.4.180+ (root@build15) (gcc version 7.5.0 (GCC) ) #42214 SMP Sat Aug 28 02:41:15 CST 2021
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.21
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: /config
	Application path: /system
	MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: Connection to https://api.themoviedb.org/3/person/1675905?api_key=f6bd687ffa63cd282b6ff2c6877f2669&append_to_response=credits,images,external_ids&language=zh-CN timed out
	 ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
	   at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.ConnectAsync(String host, Int32 port, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.ConnectAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean allowHttp2, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.CreateHttp11ConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.GetHttpConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.DecompressionHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.DiagnosticsHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.FinishSendAsyncBuffered(Task`1 sendTask, HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.(HttpRequestOptions , String )
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.(HttpRequestOptions , String )
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
	   at MovieDb.MovieDbProvider.GetMovieDbResponse(HttpRequestOptions options)
	   at MovieDb.MovieDbPersonProvider.FetchPersonResult(String id, String language, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MovieDb.MovieDbPersonProvider.EnsurePersonInfo(String id, String language, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MovieDb.MovieDbPersonProvider.GetMetadata(PersonLookupInfo id, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.ExecuteRemoteProviders(BaseItem originalItem, MetadataResult`1 temp, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, String logName, TIdType id, IEnumerable`1 providers, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
	TargetSite: Void ()
	InnerException: System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
	Source: System.Private.CoreLib
	TargetSite: Void Throw()
	   at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.ConnectAsync(String host, Int32 port, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.ConnectAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean allowHttp2, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.CreateHttp11ConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.GetHttpConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.DecompressionHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.DiagnosticsHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.FinishSendAsyncBuffered(Task`1 sendTask, HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts)

Hi, looks like the connections are timing out and failing. Usually this is an indication that something is blocking the emby server process from sending out requests. Typical causes of this are firewall, security software, or VPN. Can you look into this?

zhongqingyun
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, looks like the connections are timing out and failing. Usually this is an indication that something is blocking the emby server process from sending out requests. Typical causes of this are firewall, security software, or VPN. Can you look into this?

i am using emby and tmm via docker, but tinymediamanager can access themoviedb.org and get the right metadata

zhongqingyun
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi, if you're in China would this site be behind the great firewall?

yes and no, using VPN or change hosts file can access tmdb

tmdb might be blocking the api calls via VPN. I know I've seen some of the meta-data providers block certain VPN IP ranges.
Unfortunately a lot of people use VPNs for less the legit purposes so many sites just ban those known addresses.  Actually it's more like they ignore those addresses without responding so things timeout vs a rejection.

I don't know what VPN your using or if tmdb is doing that.
Have you tried to use a different country VPN server?  You could try a few different US, Canada, UK locations for example.
If you want to send me a PM with the VPN service you're using I might be able to do a couple tests depending on the provider.