iOS won't play videos, requires premier?

icsy7867

icsy7867

First let me start by saying I have a lifetime membership.  It is applied to my emby server successfully.  Android devices aren't having any issues.

Now for my weird setup... We drove 14 hours and had a very long trip.  I have a raspberry pi setup in the car running as a hotspot (not external internet) and I run emby on this for my son.

I have an old 7 inch nexus tablet which works fine.  My pixel also works fine.  However when I try to run the emby app on an iPad, I can only play 1 minute.  Otherwise I get promoted to buy a premier membership.

Does the pi or the iPad need an active internet connection for this to work?  Running 4.6.7.0 on Buster on the pi.

Thanks!

Happy2Play

Yes and No.  All servers and clients need to validate but it should cache validation for a few days.  Don't believe an official cache expiration has ever been said. So devs will have to comment more.

• Thanks 1

icsy7867

Just to update.  I played around with things a bit and I think I fixed it for now.

First, the raspberry pi was reporting that it did not have premier even though my key was there.

So I connected my pi up to Ethernet, which thankfully I had access to, and made sure it was getting external access.

The iPad still was not happy and asking me to pay for premier.  The "unlock" feature for $4.99 was also showing.  However the button was no clickable for me.  I discovered that I had tinkerer with the wifi settings so I still wasn't getting external internet while connecting to the pi's wifi.  I forgot and rejoined the network.

With the server and iOS both having external internet, everything seemed ok.  Both are reporting as premier now.  However I'm still curious how long the caching lastly.  It's sort of annoying for my use case. 

icsy7867
3 minutes ago, rodainas said:

Approx once a week for the check.

I appreciate the quick response.  But this makes my problem very interesting.

I would assume that it the server checked in, verified it's subscription, then devices connecting to it, even if there is no external internet, would be happy.  However with iOS it seems the server and iOS both need external internet in order to verify the emby subscription.

Happy2Play

The device-based model Emby uses requires both server and client to check in.  This allows clients to fall off the default 25 device premiere limit.  

Using a browser instead of client based apps will not have this issue for all none premiere features.

icsy7867

Ahhh I see. I think with my setup i just need to be proactive and let devices check into the pi when it has internet right before the trip.

Probably not enough support for this, but it would be neat if you could manually give a single client extra time, or something along those lines.  Or a single client that can be checked in permanently or something.

Thanks for the replies!