getting EPG data from VU+ box

Florian2000

Florian2000

Hi,

is it possible to get the EPG data from the VU+ boxes?

Because when I enter the ip of the VU+ box. There is already a nice EPG view available....but how can I get this info up-and-running for emby live-TV EPG data?

grafik.thumb.png.be40d40b5d1e1efa158dfd35b30a21ba.png

Currently I am not able to see the forrest for the trees...

Thank you!

Br, Florian

• 2 weeks later...
Florian2000

oh, sorry, I have overseen the answers.
@Luke: well, I do these steps:
1) I go to the ip of the VU+ box and save the services.m3u file onto the NAS.
2) I add the TV-Source (type: m3u / URL: directory where the services.m3u files is located on the NAS)
grafik.thumb.png.b75b972111f681689d788464be3cccd6.png

That's it basically. Works like a charme....the only downside is that I'm missing the nice icons and the EPG...

grafik.thumb.png.e0ecb2956c02df0dd45beb63c1d91237.png

So I was wondering why it is possible for the VU+ box to display a nice EPG via OpenWebif and if it is possible to configure Emby to just connect to the VU+ ip and get this EPG, too? Because when OpenWebif can do this for the VU+ box...why not connect to it directly without exporting something?

Br, Florian

I guess that would require custom development for that protocol, it's always possible for the future. Thanks.

• Like 1

Florian2000
10 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi,

Are you exporting the m3u file from VU+ box or from OpenWebif?

from OpenWebif - you just have to click this (red marked) tv-icon:
grafik.png.fdabc371d4234fa6eb4871562b82212c.png

Florian2000
12 hours ago, Luke said:

I guess that would require custom development for that protocol, it's always possible for the future. Thanks.

yeah...it's open source (unless I have overlooked something).

Florian2000
On 12/13/2021 at 11:43 PM, pünktchen said:

There's an Enigma based plugin to export epg data as an xmltv file: https://github.com/leaskovski/EPGExport

Thank you for an alternative way. I will give it a try. But to be honest I would really, really like to see this feature built right into emby to take automatically care of EPG (which comes out-of-the-box from VU+ boxes and similar devices) because I think this could be easily (but of course it needs dev power) realised and generates so much value to the users.

Don't you really mean you wish the VU+ box output a standard file just about any IPTV software can read?

But speaking of working directly with VU have you checked out the plugin catalog?
image.png.f330cd714fbe2d9370fa266db8910e3f.png

Florian2000
19 hours ago, cayars said:

Don't you really mean you wish the VU+ box output a standard file just about any IPTV software can read?

But speaking of working directly with VU have you checked out the plugin catalog?
image.png.f330cd714fbe2d9370fa266db8910e3f.png

I tried the plug-in once (some time ago) but something went wrong...maybe I will try it again.
But in my opinion it should be integrated in this dialog (see down below) and not solved via a separate plugin. Btw. maybe I'm to stupid to find the documentation of the plugin what exactly it does.
grafik.thumb.png.555bad43fcbfb2fa89972948839c068e.png

Plugins run just like anything built in.  It's just modular and dynamically loaded at startup based on your config.
Any code that's available but not needed isn't loaded this way.

I'm sure the number of people using VU+ is well under 1% of the userbase so it wouldn't make sense to have that option show up for everyone as a default. It would be the same for the other plugins as I'm sure you wouldn't want to constantly be seeing Next PVR, TVHeadend, DVBLink, DVBViewer, WMC, Media Portal, etc... when you're not using them.

This way the UI is cleaner looking, less confusing and most importantly, the system isn't loading up lots of code into memory that would never be used wasting resources.

Florian2000
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Plugins run just like anything built in.  It's just modular and dynamically loaded at startup based on your config.
Any code that's available but not needed isn't loaded this way.

I'm sure the number of people using VU+ is well under 1% of the userbase so it wouldn't make sense to have that option show up for everyone as a default. It would be the same for the other plugins as I'm sure you wouldn't want to constantly be seeing Next PVR, TVHeadend, DVBLink, DVBViewer, WMC, Media Portal, etc... when you're not using them.

This way the UI is cleaner looking, less confusing and most importantly, the system isn't loading up lots of code into memory that would never be used wasting resources.

no but it should be an option to have a source for the epg...once selected it should work...because this is a one time setup procedure.

There are a few different sources for EPG.  You can use the built in guide data from Emby for US/CA/UK or import your own using the common XML format used for guide data.
If you use a plug you don't need to load guide data as this is handled by the plugin pulling this info from the host.

Florian2000
22 hours ago, cayars said:

There are a few different sources for EPG.  You can use the built in guide data from Emby for US/CA/UK or import your own using the common XML format used for guide data.
If you use a plug you don't need to load guide data as this is handled by the plugin pulling this info from the host.

I will give the plug-in a new try. Hopefully I get it up running as expected.

• Like 1