[BUG] Emby remote playback on iOS app or Apple TV incredibly slow

liamlows

liamlows

Hey guys,

So for a while now for some reason when i play content on my iOS device or my apple TV the content i choose to stream takes forever to load. This did not used to be an issue, i keep the devices (client and server) up to date and someday (i unfortunately cannot pinpoint it) it just happened. When I play content through the web player on any device, there is no issue. Here are my steps to replicate:

1. Open the emby app fresh (fully closed app before)
  2. Connect to server if needed
  3. Click on show/episode i want to watch and click play
  4. Loading spinning circle appears for as long as 7 minutes
  5. Content begins playing
  6. Occasionally content will buffer and stop and can take long periods of time to buffer again

This is a similar behavior in both devices. I have tried lowering the in app quality on both devices and that works but only in the 480p range which is pretty awful to watch. Please let me know what you guys think i should do. Again this was not a problem <6 months ago.

Summary:

Emby server version: 4.6.7

Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS

Using NGINX reverse proxy through cloudflare proxied DNS

Slow loading occurs in remote play when using any quality setting above 480p. A few months ago it worked fine on direct play on the same devices same hardware end to end. Playback works fine in web browsers.

Nothing in logs looks odd to me.

Thanks!

liamlows

So i gave the Infuse iOS app a try and installed the plugin on my server and it is working way better. Using direct play and no buffer issues. Takes a little while to load at startup but not too long. The issue seems to be isolated to the iOS and TV apps.

Edited by liamlows