Using ASS Subtitles Causes Every Video Trouble To Load

NeverExists

Thanks. The diagnostic options are not preserved on reboot.

What's the difference between these log files now? One with green/pink and the other one OK?
The are technically doing exactly the same, so there shouldn't be a difference.

NeverExists
6 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Thanks. The diagnostic options are not preserved on reboot.

What's the difference between these log files now? One with green/pink and the other one OK?
The are technically doing exactly the same, so there shouldn't be a difference.

they were both there so I'm not sure but the latest one is for sure the one one that had the pink and green on the screen. Just so you know I have burn in ASS Subtitles checked in the nvidia shield app.

Edited by NeverExists

image.thumb.png.40f1cd7e2dd8d802c67310135d4db0fe.png

Actually it's all pretty good now (besides the colors). It runs at 4.0x speed and the setup looks all good

Lessons learned from this: when burning-in subtitles and the video is decoded in software, we shouldn't do the burn-in in hardware (after uploading both, video and rendered (transparent) subtitle frames). 

In my tests for this situation, I remember that I always had scaling involved, so the subtitle overlay frames were much smaller (generated and less data to upload). 
I'll change that for the next beta.

The colors issue is something that I need to try to reproduce. Meanwhile, you could try two things:

• Disable hw acceleration
    Only the encoder is hw accelerated here
  • Select the Nvidia H.264 instead of the QuickSync one
    (select "Advanced" for the hw acceleration, then you'll see the details)

NeverExists
11 hours ago, softworkz said:

image.thumb.png.40f1cd7e2dd8d802c67310135d4db0fe.png

Actually it's all pretty good now (besides the colors). It runs at 4.0x speed and the setup looks all good

Lessons learned from this: when burning-in subtitles and the video is decoded in software, we shouldn't do the burn-in in hardware (after uploading both, video and rendered (transparent) subtitle frames). 

In my tests for this situation, I remember that I always had scaling involved, so the subtitle overlay frames were much smaller (generated and less data to upload). 
I'll change that for the next beta.

The colors issue is something that I need to try to reproduce. Meanwhile, you could try two things:

• Disable hw acceleration
    Only the encoder is hw accelerated here
  • Select the Nvidia H.264 instead of the QuickSync one
    (select "Advanced" for the hw acceleration, then you'll see the details)

How do I select Nvidia H.264? From where? K i figured it out, but it does not matter what I choose it still is very choppy playback. I tried both suggestions.

Edited by NeverExists

NeverExists
34 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Choppy? I thought we were at "fluent but color issues"?

Did you set the "Disable HW Sub Overlay" checkbox?

After I check the box, it keeps automatically unchecking every time i restart emby server.

NeverExists
52 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Choppy? I thought we were at "fluent but color issues"?

Did you set the "Disable HW Sub Overlay" checkbox?

K I got it working but it won't save the settings. I have to do it every time the server starts. Also is it just me or does the image quality of my video look worse with these settings?

Edited by NeverExists

Yes. Diagnostic settings do not stay. 

11 minutes ago, NeverExists said:

K I got it working

What is working? What did you do and what is the result?

NeverExists
1 minute ago, softworkz said:

Yes. Diagnostic settings do not stay. 

What is working? What did you do and what is the result?

The video played fine, but the image quality looked worse.

Transcoding.PNG

Capture.PNG

You can look further down to "H.264 Encoders" and move either QuickSync or Nvidia to the top.

Also check in your client whether you have made any bandwidth setting.

NeverExists
3 minutes ago, softworkz said:

You can look further down to "H.264 Encoders" and move either QuickSync or Nvidia to the top.

If I set to Nvidia, The video quality looks worse

NeverExists
8 hours ago, softworkz said:

What do I need to change exactly for it to work? And will this be fixed soon cause I don't feel like having to go into my options every time I want to play something. I want to have the best picture quality like I had before.

10 hours ago, NeverExists said:

What do I need to change exactly for it to work?

Maybe @cayars can help you a bit with this..

10 hours ago, NeverExists said:

And will this be fixed soon cause I don't feel like having to go into my options every time I want to play something.

Ah, yes of course. It will be fixed in the next or subsequent beta.

Thanks a lot for helping to pinpoint the issue!

NeverExists
3 hours ago, softworkz said:

Maybe @cayars can help you a bit with this..

Ah, yes of course. It will be fixed in the next or subsequent beta.

Thanks a lot for helping to pinpoint the issue!

Thank you

NeverExists
4 hours ago, softworkz said:

No, I'm afraid, that wasn't enough time. Next one..

Ok that's fine. Oh just thought I'd mention that I get those weird colors on the screen when using quicksync d11 but not nvidia d11. I prefer quicksync cause the image looks better and I only get those weird colors when I have ass subtitles on and that setting ticked in diagnostics. If you guys could make it so I can use quicksync d11 and Ass without having to tick that box everytime I watch something that would be great. Let me know and thanks for all the help.

NeverExists
On 13/12/2021 at 10:37, cayars said:

That was fast @softworkz!

@NeverExists is there anything else you need help with right now until the next beta arrives when you can test the changes softworkz made?

Hey, one other thing. There is an anime show that I have that always gets choppy for the intro. The music plays fine and the ASS Subtitles show for the Song during the intro, but it always freezes at points during the intro while the music keeps playing. I have subtitles selected for signs and songs in the anime and they are ASS but I don't have burn in ASS selected in the settings till the other issue gets fixed. Also any idea if there will be a server update before xmas?

NeverExists

@cayars Can we do a pm so I can share a link to a very popular file that uses proper ASS Subtitles that has problems playing? I've uploaded it to my OneDrive. Might help you guys a lot!

Edited by NeverExists

3 hours ago, NeverExists said:

@cayars Can we do a pm so I can share a link to a very popular file that uses proper ASS Subtitles that has problems playing? I've uploaded it to my OneDrive. Might help you guys a lot!

Been on the lookout but haven't received a PM from you yet.
Did you forget to send me the link or just waiting for the upload to finish?