keyboard input for typing doesn't work

usenet

Hi

I got a Logitech Bluetooth K830 keyboard connected to my Samsung TV

I can use keyboard to navigates but if I search and use the keyboard to type in search phrase it wont work, have to used the pop up alphabet with the remotes

is this a bug or feature not supported?

Edited by usenet

yes I can use the keyboard input to type my password at the login screen, only search text input doesn't work, have to navigate the pop up alphabet

11 minutes ago, Luke said:

Right OK. There isn't actually a text input on the search screen, so that is the reason for that.

Is there plan for an update to that function or that the way it is?

Thanks

I am a plex pass user but I like Emby media layout and config more so I am evaluating all the options I am using in Plex to see if Emby does it better,

so far that search function keyboard input is a show stopper for me, get it working and I will sign up premiere life time :)

• Thanks 1

One of the issues here is that if we allow keyboard entry it also means that the standard Samsung on-screen keyboard will also appear, then Samsung will raise a defect as we have two onscreen keyboard methods

We would just need to decide how this would be best supported

26 minutes ago, SamES said:

One of the issues here is that if we allow keyboard entry it also means that the standard Samsung on-screen keyboard will also appear, then Samsung will raise a defect as we have two onscreen keyboard methods

We would just need to decide how this would be best supported

works with plex no problem on Samsung TV, the keyboard alphabet map would appear but I can still type and search in their search box

so I don't see a problem with you prompting for keyboard alphabet map like Plex and still let user type in the input box

just to clarified on this point, I can still use the TV remote and select individual characters on the keyboard map or I can just go to the search box and start typing away in Plex and they both work

Edited by usenet

The issue is that we have our own letter picker below the search box.  If we also show the on-screen keyboard then Samsung will complain about having both.

The other option is to remove our letter picker and just use the native on screen keyboard (which is probably my preference) but Luke will have to make this decision.

Ok I see what you mean about duplicate keyboards as Emby has its own green keyboard row and Samsung square box keyboard map

This search is particular useful for a certain setup and certainly in my case as I use Plex/Emby to setup Karaoke server for my wife, she is into Karaoke

and she use search function dozen or more time each session with her friends and it unworkable manually navigates the alphabet with the remote it basically ruined the experience having to spend a minute or two navigates the keyboard map to type in the text you want

I made collections and playlist but still if it get large search is a lot faster if you can type

That's right I forgot about this. Samsung actually rejected our submission back when we had it enabled.

for what it worth, I am installing the app via USB as I am outside the smarthub zone so if you need it test let me know 

I also blocked all the smarthub stuff from my TV as it is too chatty and send too much stuff back to Samsung servers

I only enable it if I need to install an app from it then it goes back on block list

Edited by usenet

1 hour ago, Luke said:

That's right I forgot about this. Samsung actually rejected our submission back when we had it enabled.

Correct.  If you're happy to drop the alpha row, we can easily enable the Samsung keyboard which will also enable the external keyboard (and remote control apps that enable entering test screens on the phone then sending them to the app).

@usenet, I expect you experience this same issue with Netflix, youtube and all the other major apps that also use their own on-screen keyboard entry methods.  Correct?

Edited by SamES

48 minutes ago, SamES said:

Correct.  If you're happy to drop the alpha row, we can easily enable the Samsung keyboard which will also enable the external keyboard (and remote control apps that enable entering test screens on the phone then sending them to the app).

@usenet, I expect you experience this same issue with Netflix, youtube and all the other major apps that also use their own on-screen keyboard entry methods.  Correct?

@SamES I just test youtube and nextflix I don't have the issue, Samsung keyboard popup and I can still search using keyboard to type, exact same experience with Plex so these vendors implement Samsang Keyboard map in similar fashion

Happy to Test out the Alpha and if it works I will sign up premiere as promise

Edited by usenet

• 2 weeks later...
TOMinSATX

Just to stick my nose in here...

I just got a Riitek i4 wireless/bluetooth keyboard to use on my 2019 Samsung QN75Q70RA and it seems to work fine so far, until I tried it on EMBY. Using the keyboard on the Samsung Internet feature presents no problems, as the Samsung keyboard doesn't even show up (as long as I turn on the Bluetooth Keyboard). On EMBY it works in general functions such as moving around the screen, selecting movies, scrolling, and even using the touchpad to type using the EMBY keyboard for searching, but not for actually typing in the search.

Seems like since I have a choice to show the keyboard on the EMBY screen, not showing it should allow me to type in my search. I'm a retired programmer (2003=Dinosaur), so I understand that you don't actually have a field for search entry, but if you could have that and not allow the Samsung to bring up its keyboard it sure would be nice. 

• 1 month later...