Emby Theater not using custom shaders

icebaer

Hi,

I just tried to setup mpv in Emby Theater to use some custom shaders. Unfortunately they are not getting loaded/processed.

In mpv.conf there are three entries:

glsl-shaders="~/.config/mpv/shaders/FSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl"
glsl-shaders-append="~/.config/mpv/shaders/KrigBilateral.glsl"
glsl-shaders-append="~/.config/mpv/shaders/adaptive-sharpen.glsl"

All of them are working when playing a file with a standalone mpv installation and the same config file.
When playing a file with Emby Theater, they are not getting used. Tried it on two different machines with Windows and Linux with the current 3.0.15 release.

In the log file, there are those entries:

[   0.014][w][libmpv_render] FBO format 'rgba16hf' not found!
[   0.014][w][libmpv_render] User-specified FBO format 'rgba16hf' failed to initialize! (exists=0, renderable=0, linear_filter=0, fbo_test_result=0)
[   0.014][w][libmpv_render] Disabling HDR peak computation (one or more of the following is not supported: compute shaders=0, SSBO=0).
[   0.014][w][libmpv_render] High bit depth FBOs unsupported. Enabling dumb mode.

For using custom shaders, it's required to set "fbo-format=rgba16f". Though it doesn't seem to get activated.
What also worries me, is the disabled HDR peak computation.

Is someone already using these kind of shaders sucessfully?

mpv.log

Attached my current (windows) config.
The config is the same for running MPV inside Emby Theater and as a standalone player. The latter is using shaders without any problems.

Also tried several other settings for "gpu-api" and "hwdec". None of them worked.

mpv.conf

Tested some older versions on Debian Linux (amd64).
The last working version is 3.0.11, since this is the last version that seems to use the external MPV installation (0.34.0) , not the Emby internal one.

mpv.log for 3.0.11

[   0.009][v][cplayer] mpv 0.34.0 Copyright © 2000-2021 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
[   0.009][v][cplayer]  built on Sun Nov 14 19:37:55 UTC 2021
[   0.009][v][cplayer] FFmpeg library versions:
[   0.009][v][cplayer]    libavutil       56.70.100
[   0.009][v][cplayer]    libavcodec      58.134.100
[   0.009][v][cplayer]    libavformat     58.76.100
[   0.009][v][cplayer]    libswscale      5.9.100
[   0.009][v][cplayer]    libavfilter     7.110.100
[   0.009][v][cplayer]    libswresample   3.9.100
[   0.009][v][cplayer] FFmpeg version: 4.4.1

mpv.log for 3.0.12

[   0.006][v][cplayer] mpv 0.32.0 Copyright © 2000-2020 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
[   0.006][v][cplayer]  built on UNKNOWN
[   0.006][v][cplayer] ffmpeg library versions:
[   0.006][v][cplayer]    libavutil       56.51.100
[   0.006][v][cplayer]    libavcodec      58.91.100
[   0.006][v][cplayer]    libavformat     58.45.100
[   0.006][v][cplayer]    libswscale      5.7.100
[   0.006][v][cplayer]    libavfilter     7.85.100
[   0.006][v][cplayer]    libswresample   3.7.100
[   0.006][v][cplayer] ffmpeg version: n4.3.1

mpv.log for 3.0.15

[   0.011][v][cplayer] mpv 0.33.1-dirty Copyright © 2000-2020 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
[   0.011][v][cplayer]  built on UNKNOWN
[   0.011][v][cplayer] FFmpeg library versions:
[   0.011][v][cplayer]    libavutil       56.70.100
[   0.011][v][cplayer]    libavcodec      58.134.100
[   0.011][v][cplayer]    libavformat     58.76.100
[   0.011][v][cplayer]    libswscale      5.9.100
[   0.011][v][cplayer]    libavfilter     7.110.100
[   0.011][v][cplayer]    libswresample   3.9.100
[   0.011][v][cplayer] FFmpeg version: 4.4.0-emby_2021_08_23

How to use an external MPV installation would have been one of my questions anyway 😉
Looks like 3.0.11 did it somehow automatically. Is there a way to do it in 3.0.15 also?

daedalus

.11 was the last version that used the config file, since then they switched to the libmpv implementation, which was never able to load any config files

"develeopers" knew about that fact, since the testing release of libmpv version two years ago and did what they can do the best, ignored the users

and the reaction above just showed again how much they are into "developing" a videoplayer, they barely know the components they are hammering together

7 hours ago, icebaer said:

How to use an external MPV installation would have been one of my questions anyway 😉

simply use the externalplayer feature, you loose playstates (they never implemented it, even not for the few most popular players), the info overlay and would need to configure the external player to come back to ET when u end playback

but hey its just a little price to pay to get a splitter of the "your media, your way" experience back

The config file itself is getting loaded. That's not my current problem. Only some of its entries dont work.

I also noticed using electron in the current versions, which wasnt the case for 3.0.11. So something more must have changed than stated in the release history.

Using an external player might be a solution. I was more interested in some replacement for my current Windows/KodiDS/madvr Setup. Using Linux/ET/MPV would have been an ideal replacement, since MPV was integrated in ET. Never wanted to use Kodi with MPC as external player either.
Not being able to unleash MPVs full potential stops me from moving to ET. In this case I can also go for a Linux/Kodi/MPV installation.

daedalus
20 hours ago, icebaer said:

The config file itself is getting loaded. That's not my current problem. Only some of its entries dont work.

k so call it "most entries", issue is issue, didnt check every single option but none i use in mine, nor any script worked then

but good luck here, devs tend to rush in on new users report things, while leaving besides literealy years old reports

Edited by daedalus

generiq

Use the GPU renderer, and update mpv.

[   0.887][v][vo/gpu] Testing FBO format rgba16hf
[   0.887][d][vo/gpu] Resizing texture: 16x16
[   0.887][v][vo/gpu] Using FBO format rgba16hf.
[   0.887][d][global] user path: 'G:\mpv\FSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl' -> 'G:\mpv\FSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl'
[   0.888][d][global] user path: 'G:\mpv\SSimDownscaler.glsl' -> 'G:\mpv\SSimDownscaler.glsl'
[   0.888][d][global] user path: 'G:\mpv\KrigBilateral.glsl' -> 'G:\mpv\KrigBilateral.glsl'

daedalus
12 hours ago, icebaer said:

Can you explain how to update the internal mpv player?!

just like before, copy over mpv-1d.dll in \Emby-Theater\system\electronapp\libmpv\x64\

but don't worry its still not working inside ET, gpu renderer gives just a black screen and config is stil not correctly loaded

Edited by daedalus

generiq
6 hours ago, daedalus said:

just like before, copy over mpv-1d.dll in \Emby-Theater\system\electronapp\libmpv\x64\

but don't worry its still not working inside ET, gpu renderer gives just a black screen and config is stil not correctly loaded

No issues, here. Works perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
ray-finkle

Following this thread as I have the same issue and really want to be able to do high quality upscaling in a simple way with Emby.

I will try the suggested DLL replacement later today.

ray-finkle

Confirming that manually updating mpv does work but only with the latest release of libmpv when the dll is still named "mpv-1.dll", the 2021-12-12 release. Other than that, Video output just needs to be changed to gpu (as previously mentioned) and custom shaders are working fine.