Update Emby

muppet4k

muppet4k

Hi,

what's the best way to update emby server on a Synology?

Over the package center from Synology there comes no updates from new Versions.

And when I install it manually over the package center then every time I must set up again my emby server config again and again.

Thx for help

Hi, using our newer packages you should be able to use both together. The version in package center may often be behind due to having to go through the Synology review process.

The package center is nice an all but probably only save 20 to 30 seconds if that compared to doing a manual install.

You can always get the latest released version for Synology DSM 7 here:
https://emby.media/synology7-server.html

The DSM 6 version here:
https://emby.media/synology-server.html

Both of those pages contain the release version at the top of the page and the current beta version at the bottom.
If you're not sure of the architecture of your Synology NAS just use the link architecture of your Synology NAS: which takes you to a webpage that will clearly show the architecture your NAS uses and then you'll know exactly which version you need.  The Intel builds are always the first ones on the list.

But once you've downloaded the package you install it the same exact way in DSM except you start out clicking the Manual Install and point to the download you just did.

FrostByte

Considering the store version isn't auto updating I'm not sure there is much of a benefit of using it from a user perspective.  I'm sure having the app there is good business though.

You might get a notification in PC, but you get one in the Dashboard already with the GitHub downloaded one.

westhill
On 08/12/2021 at 04:18, muppet4k said:

Hi,

what's the best way to update emby server on a Synology?

Over the package center from Synology there comes no updates from new Versions.

And when I install it manually over the package center then every time I must set up again my emby server config again and again.

Thx for help

I have updated on DSM 6 several times and it did not require subsequent setup. I just did it again to 4.6.7 just now, here are the steps I followed:

1. Shutdown Emby in the Emby web interface.
  2. Confirmed Synology DSM showed the app as stopped
  3. Backed up the Emby directory, in my case [volumes/Emby]
  4. Download the spk from Emby's site as Luke pointed out above
  5. Perform a manual install and that is it.
  6. Emby restarts on Synology and my previous config is preserved