Emby on Nvidia Shield - Play Next Stopped Working with external player

Catfood

Emby client version: "2.0.48g Registered"

Emby server version: 4.6.7.0

I have two similar Emby setups in our house; an Nvidia Shield connected to a TV, running the Emby client, connecting to an Emby server running in Docker.

Both setups are set to "Use External Player for Videos" in the Emby client and have VLC as the external player.

I have auto-updates turned off, and (perhaps unwisely) updated the Emby app and VLC on both devices recently. After updating, the button to play the next episode has stopped working for all shows.

On one setup I get a "Video Playback Error" message, and on the other it just goes to a black screen and nothing happens.

I can go into the next episode directly and play it there and it works fine. Only the play next function has stopped working.

The server doesn't log the show as being played/requested when this happens.

I don't see that anyone else in this support forum has posted anything similar... any ideas?

33 minutes ago, Catfood said:

the button to play the next episode has stopped working

Hi.  Exactly what button is that?

When I go into a show, I have a row of buttons. From left to right they are Play Next (Shows like "Play S1 Episode 19"), Play all, Shuffle All, Played, Delete and More.

It's the left most Play next episode button that has stopped working.

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at this a little more today. I turned on debug logging in the VLC app and it looks like the VLC app is not even being called when using that "play next episode" button in a series. When I go into a series>season>episode and play an episode from there and it opens in VLC, the VLC debug log shows all that. To me that would seem to indicate an issue in the Emby app rather than VLC. I found in the profile in the Emby app where I can "send logs" and have done so. Is there any way for me to view any logs for the Emby app directly?

14 hours ago, Catfood said:

I found in the profile in the Emby app where I can "send logs" and have done so

Hi.  Can you please provide this information and then I'll see what I can see in the log.

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Tried to play- World Trigger S03E01, using the play next episode button. Did so 3 times on: 2021/12/19 between 10:06 - 10:07 UTC -5.

Logs were sent 2021/12/19 10:10 UTC -5

The name of the emby user on the local server is "htpc"

• Like 1