Android TV: Delay in UI update after delete of movie (again)

justinrh

justinrh

original post title:  Delay in UI update after delete of movie (again)

I've mentioned this issue a couple of times.  Last night I saw it again on my Shield, and with a different workflow than usual, so I am thinking it doesn't matter what the workflow is it can happen.

We started Emby and kicked off movie "Love at Large" from the home screen 'latest movie' section and watched it for a while, then stopped it and deleted it (did not witness the deletion so don't know if this lagged).

Then we started movie "Shattered" (from what context I don't know) and watched 99% of it.  I stopped the movie, was back at the detail page, deleted it - that put me in the Movies library page.  Then I hit 'back' to get to the home page - here I saw the Shattered movie card (in 'continue playing' list I think) with the progress bar at >90<100 percent played.  I waited between 5 and 10 seconds but nothing happened.  I then exited the app.

(I wish it were easier to see from the log every action; I want to know every click so I can tell context of actions taking place.  I think that would help Emby support folks as well.  If that is already backed in, I can't decipher it.)

embyserver-cont-playing_after_del.txt

• 2 weeks later...
justinrh

It happened again today, but with an added twist.

Home screen of the ATV Emby app -> select movie from latest list to open detail page -> Play
a few minutes before the end of the movie, back to the detail page -> Delete
back on home screen:  the movie is still showing (waited 15s), BUT this time the Movies library card is blank (no image)
go into the Movies library, go back to home: now the library image shows and a second later the deleted movie goes away

On 12/12/2021 at 9:25 PM, justinrh said:

BUT this time the Movies library card is blank (no image)
go into the Movies library, go back to home: now the library image shows and a second later the deleted movie goes away

To me, that would indicate some sort of temporary network issue which caused both the image refresh and the refresh of the latest row to fail.  If this happens again, please send a log from the app right as it happened.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
justinrh

@ebr I just sent a log from the app @ 7:37pm CST (8:37pm EST).

Edited by justinrh

justinrh

@ebr I sent more log last night @ 7:57pm,  8:06pm (three went away at one time after this),  8:11pm,   9:54pm.  All of these were from a different Shield than the first (in the prev post).

I was surmising it might be because Emby might still be processing the video in some way (there is usually a delay in transcoding stop after stopping a video), but these were direct play per stats for nerds (and that is what I expected).

19 hours ago, justinrh said:

@ebr I just sent a log from the app @ 7:37pm CST (8:37pm EST).

Hi.  Exactly what did you do and what happened?  Please include exactly how you navigated to what you played and how you played it and then where you went afterwards and what happened.

Thanks.

17 hours ago, justinrh said:

Read the post from December 12, 2021

That was an entirely different time from when this log was sent.  You are saying you did those exact steps again?

Can I please see the server log that corresponds with the app log on 1/1 at 8:37pm?

It looks like there were actually two copies of this item on your server... was that the case?

2022-01-01 19:37:02.921 Info App: Removing item from database, Type: Movie, Name: Pitch Black, Path: D:\media\Recorded TV\Pitch Black (2000)\Pitch Black (2000).ts, Id: 331585
2022-01-01 19:37:02.921 Info App: Deleting directory D:\media\Recorded TV\Pitch Black (2000)
2022-01-01 19:38:02.952 Info LibraryMonitor: Recorded TV (D:\media\Recorded TV) will be refreshed.
2022-01-01 19:38:03.111 Info App: Removing item from database, Type: Movie, Name: Pitch Black, Path: D:\media\Recorded TV\Pitch Black (2000)\Pitch Black (2000) - 1.ts, Id: 347557

justinrh

I'm not sure I understand why you are asking me.  I don't remember deleting the same video twice.  And that is only one video out of several that showed the problem.

But, let's look at this:
  Removing item from database, Type: Movie, Name: Pitch Black
  Deleting directory D:\media\Recorded TV\Pitch Black (2000)
  (error in the meantime - significant?)
  Removing item from database, Type: Movie, Name: Pitch Black

For that particular movie, that might be the case, if the DB update lags.  But, look at the timestamps - it took one minute to update the DB after the folder was deleted (and that was because of an explicit user action to delete the movie, which should be different than a file change monitoring event).

Hi.  Look closely at the paths for the items in the delete log entries - there were two different files for that one movie.  I think that may be why it is still showing up after it has been "deleted".  It is taking two operations to completely remove it and the app refreshes before the second one happens.

justinrh

Yes, I saw the two diff filenames.  My point still stands.  This particular scenario doesn't explain the repeated issue.

15 hours ago, justinrh said:

Yes, I saw the two diff filenames.  My point still stands.  This particular scenario doesn't explain the repeated issue.

I think it might as it is taking two operations to truly delete the item and that is taking longer than the information refresh.

The next time this happens, let's see if that is also a case of multiple copies of the same item.

justinrh

You are assuming that every time it happens there are two videos in the folder.  Look at the whole picture and not just one event of many.

And if your theory was correct, it seems the logic for deletion might need some rework  :-)

12 hours ago, justinrh said:

You are assuming that every time it happens there are two videos in the folder

Hi.  I am hypothesizing that because that's what I saw in the example.  If you produce an example where that isn't the case, then that will defeat that hypothesis.  That's why I asked to see logs from the next time this happens.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
justinrh

It happened three times tonight.  Sent logs.  2x ~6:57 to 7:06, 1x ~9:03CST.  I also saw (4) tray icons on the server - 1+3 deletions??

All of these had only (1) video per.embyserver-multi-delete.txt

Edited by justinrh

10 hours ago, justinrh said:

It happened three times tonight.  Sent logs.  2x ~6:57 to 7:06, 1x ~9:03CST.  I also saw (4) tray icons on the server - 1+3 deletions??

All of these had only (1) video per.

Server log that goes with those please.

I see a refresh getting kicked off as a result of the file being deleted but that happens after the app has already refreshed its views.  It seems like the delete operation, in this instance, is not removing the item fast enough and it still gets returned in those requests but it is very hard to tell for sure.

What kind of library is this in?

• 5 weeks later...
justinrh

Another episode, with a twist.

opened the app, forced context menu on a movie in 'latest' -> Delete  - the card does not go away
open a latest movie -> Play, watch for a ~10min, back -> Delete  - the card does not go away
(repeat last action for another movie  - same result)
open a latest movie, watch to the end -> Delete  - card does go away (and the last two deleted were gone)
the first deleted was still in latest list, so I selected it to open it - just a blank page, back  - now the card goes away from the list