Unable to remote connect after migration

TandP

Hello all!

I recently upgraded from a DS218+ to a DS420+. I used Migration Assistant to get everything moved over to the new Synology.

After the migration, I was making sure everything was working properly, and I was no longer able to connect to Emby via my phone while off of my home network. I was able to do this before, and I did not have to set up any port forwarding prior, nor was I using Emby Connect. I'm wondering where I went wrong or what I need to change to regain that ability.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• Uninstalled Emby then reinstalled.
    • I also went and deleted any config files generated from the original install
      • volume1/@appconf/EmbyServer
      • volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
      • volume1/@apphome/EmbyServer
  • Ensured that "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server" and "Enable automatic port mapping" options checked inside Emby settings.
  • Port Forwarded 8096 within our home network's Google Wifi settings.
    • Also restarted the router
  • Restarted the Synology
  • Attempted to access Emby using the remote access link while on phone with no luck.

What am I missing here that would be causing an issue?

Hi @Luke! Thanks for the reply.

In-Network Connections:
Yep. Able to connect here easily at http://myinternalip:8096
Heading to my phone now that is on my wifi network, I'm able to connect to Emby and see all my media and play perfectly.

Troubleshooting Internal Connections:
Skipping this section since I can access internally....

External Connections:

Locate External Address:
Found it on my dashboard underneath Version info and just after Remote (WAN) access.
Sending that link to my phone and disconnecting my phone from wifi. Heading to chrome and pasting that in and hitting go never actually sends me to a page. I eventually got a timed out error

Setup Port Forwarding:
Looks like I need to follow remote setup guide.
Allow remote connections and Enable automatic port mapping options in network settings is turned on. Check.

Checking within my router settings, I do have UPnP turned on and it has been for a while. So that's good.

Still unable to connect.

Unchecking the auto port mapping option so I can set up port forwarding in router now.

Adding a port forward rule to forward TCP 8096 on router to 8096 on Synology. Also adding the port forward for ssl. I rebooted the router and modem, just in case.

Tried the external address again and same result. Timed out.

Verify Public IP and Port:

I'm unable to change the external IP address on canyouseeme.org to the external ip of my Synology, but using yougetsignal.com I can enter the address of my Synology and the port. After checking, it says it is closed. So maybe the router isn't actually forwarding those ports? I'm using Google Wifi for my home network.

EDIT: Checking yougetsignal.com again after the router restart and it does say that 8096 is open, but I'm still unable to access Emby via the remote link or through the app when off wifi.

tracert 8.8.8.8 does not return any of the mentioned values, so my ISP isn't blocking.

Edited by TandP

Ok. I have no idea why, but it must have taken a bit to take these settings? I'm able to access Emby from the external address now on my phone while off wifi, but the app will not connect while off network.

Hi, I'm reading one thing that is troubling.  You should not need to change the IP address at canyouseeme.org.  If that IP and the remote IP shown to you on the Emby Dashboard are different that's a problem.

Are they different? If so, do you know why?

Carlo