Connect VPS drive to a windows based machine at home

PaddyEire

PaddyEire

Hi guys

I hear that the linux version not quite ready yet but here's a question.......

Let's imagine this

1) crappy laptop at home + Windows + MB3

2) Nice VPS in a datacentre running linux

I have my Fav movies / TV shows stored on my server in the datacentre running linux  - any distro (doesn't matter)

At home I have MB3 installed on my windows laptop which has the online machine drive "mapped" as a local drive.

If I connect to my media browser 3 through a Roku device for example and I'm away from home - would I be watching my content through my crappy upload speed at home or the tasty bandwidth online?

I'm not sure.............

As the mb3 server would be on your laptop at home your content would run through your crappy bandwith, and that twice.

First the download from the datacenter which will also consume part of your upstream (for data requests) and then the actual upload of the transcoded media.

So you don't want to do this. If you wan't your media available remotly I'd suggest you try to run MB3 on the datacentre.

Also transcoding can (and will) produce some heavy load on your machine, so you might not want to run MB3 on a crappy laptop anyways.

• Like 1

I'm actually running MB3 on a crappy linux server (Intel® Atom CPU N2800   @ 1.86GHz) hosted in a datacenter without any issue.

If you are worried about the installation, check out the Docker topic, you should be able to install MB3 in a few minutes using Docker (and even then the 'classic' installation isn't that of an hassle)

This way you don't have to have both your server and your laptop on at the same time.

Edited by Azor
  • Like 1