Using the App without Google Account possible?

Katzenfutter
Go to solution Solved by Katzenfutter,

Katzenfutter

Hi!

I'm testing the emby app on my Shield TV and I was wondering: is it possible, to unlock the app and then remove the google account from my device? Would the unlocked app -  still stay unlocked and works like it should?

I don't want to use any google account on my shield, that's why I'm asking...

Since I have two Shield TV's at Home, would that procedure work with two shields?

My thoughts: unlock the app with my account on shield 1, remove it from shield 1, log-in on shield 2, unlock app (without paying again?) on shield 2, remove account from shield 2.

Thank you for your help! 😀

CBers
2 hours ago, Katzenfutter said:

I don't want to use any google account on my shield

Not sure your Shield would continue to function without it being logged into Google.

Katzenfutter
33 minutes ago, CBers said:

Not sure your Shield would continue to function without it being logged into Google.

Yes, it does. I use my shield with removed account since about 6 months now, without a problem...

You only need a Google Account for setting it up for the first time. (and when you want to download/update stuff from the play store of course😅)

CBers
19 minutes ago, Katzenfutter said:

Yes, it does. I use my shield with removed account since about 6 months now, without a problem...

You only need a Google Account for setting it up for the first time. (and when you want to download/update stuff from the play store of course😅)

OK, good luck with that.

I doubt the Emby app would be able to validate itself though, so would probably stop working after a while.

Hi.  it might work as far as the unlock is concerned.  Whether or not there would be other issues associated with no access to other things I'm not sure.

Katzenfutter

So there is no definitve answer, if the app works correctly without an google account? (I only need the info for the emby app, other google/shield related apps are not my concern here)

Do I have any other options, to get a fully working emby app without google? I only need emby on two shields and in full quality streaming (no downgrading,...)?

4 minutes ago, Katzenfutter said:

So there is no definitve answer, if the app works correctly without an google account?

Sorry, no that's just not something we've tested.  If you try it out, please let us know your results.

SaintEdge223
On 12/1/2021 at 3:10 PM, Katzenfutter said:

So there is no definitve answer, if the app works correctly without an google account? (I only need the info for the emby app, other google/shield related apps are not my concern here)

Do I have any other options, to get a fully working emby app without google? I only need emby on two shields and in full quality streaming (no downgrading,...)?

I would like to know the if it works as well like you are trying to do. As I don’t like all the ads when Shield updated with all the ads and stuff. So after the update I already had all the apps I need on my shield. So I turn off Google Play Services and the Shield reverts back to what I call “Normal” without all that junk on my home screen. Shield works the same as always I just enable Google Play Services every so often and update my apps and turn it back off. So if you get the app to work after doing that please let me know as I want to do the same thing you are doing. Much appreciated. 

CBers
8 hours ago, SaintEdge223 said:

As I don’t like all the ads when Shield updated with all the ads and stuff

Uninstall the updates for Android Home and then you'll have a basic screen that you can do what you want with.

Make sure you disable Auto Updates, otherwise it will all come back.

With Auto Updates disabled, you will need to periodically do manual updates, omitting the Android Home app.

I've been using this method for several months now.

• Solution
Katzenfutter

Hi again!

I can finally give you an update: the app works without a google account!

I first downloaded the app via Play Store, made the payment and then removed the account from the device. The app still says: registered.

SaintEdge223

Thanks for the heads up. As I also use my Shield without signing into the Google account. I only sign in every couple months to update a few apps and then sign right back out. I’ve been waiting to hear of Emby would work without having to stay signed into Google. Thanks for the update on this topic as it gives me all I wanted to know. 👍