cpu 5700g question

byakuya32

byakuya32

Hi is the 5700g good enough for 2 to 3 4k transcodes or is there another cpu you would recommend? I already have a b450 motherboard that says the 5700g is supported.

RanmaCanada

This should be in the PC section, not Android.  But to answer your question, not in software, but potentially in hardware, but be forewarned that the video chip is still using Vega, and Vega is just bad for hardware encoding.  I personally think Plex has the right idea when it comes to the rules of 4k transcodes.

• Like 1

rbjtech

I used to think that, and was strongly in the 'keep 4K separate camp', but with recent development in the ability to hardware transcode and tonemap for what is largely an unnoticeable performance penalty - having just a single source 'may' be a reasonable option now.

I think a lot depends on your clients - if you don't have many 4K HDR capable clients, then stick with 1080p/SDR but as the majority of my TV's are now actually 4K HDR capable, then it makes sense to use 4K as the master, and transcode/tonemap to 1080p on the older TV's as required.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
HKEmby

Old thread, but I didn't see it answered if the 5700G can for sure be used with 4K and hardware transcoding in Emby.
I'd rather not switch hardware if possible to an Intel.

RanmaCanada
On 03/03/2023 at 06:55, HKEmby said:

Old thread, but I didn't see it answered if the 5700G can for sure be used with 4K and hardware transcoding in Emby.
I'd rather not switch hardware if possible to an Intel.

It can be used, but as stated, Vega is bad.