Android app will not connect to server if wifi is on (at home)

jarome

The app will not connect to the server if WiFi is connected to the phone. I think this is a router security feature. But on the app, you should point this out.

How would this be a wifi security feature? If you're local it shouldn't be an issue. 

Are you saying that if you disable WiFi you can connect to your server through the Internet?

pwhodges

Presumably your phone is using your server's external Internet address.  Whether or not this will work within your LAN depends on whether your router does "loopback" (aka "hairpinning").

If you cannot use loopback (in some routers it is configurable), possible alternatives are (1) to use your domain name in the phone, and run a DNS server in your LAN which will report the local address for it when the phone is on your network; or (2) add a second server in your phone' client using your server's local address (actually the same server, of course), and switch between the servers as necessary.

Paul

I tried both the external (https://XXXXX.dyndns.org  - a dynamic dns address) and internal address (192.168.1.5), and neither worked over WiFi. I got the same result using the Emby iPad app (which ONLY has WiFi). Roon, which is on the same server connects to everything. And my firewall can't be an issue because I can connect to Emby using my phone if the WiFi is turned off.

Edited by CBers
Removed DDNS URL.

pwhodges

You say Roon is accessible from the same devices via wifi? 

Hmm; then it can't be that the wifi is divided from the hard network - which is another thing routers can often do.

Need more thought...

Paul

Happy2Play

Don't know this client but sounds like the client/app has some bad cached connection data.  As jarome has stated a browser on same device functions.

No, because I did a clean install on my iPad, and the same issue appears. Or could it be an issue with my OpenSUSE LEAP 15.3 server? Can I get the new beta version to try?

Edited by jarome

Happy2Play

Keep it simple, you have stated in a browser LAN and WAN connection works, correct?

But at the same time every client app should see the Servers LAN and WAN address with it queried the server.

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, jarome said:

correct. So it is baffling. Does the Emby server treat https browser and client connections differently?

Not positive but believe app vs browser will look at the certificate differently but devs will have to comment on that.

Correct because the Emby web app doesn't look at your certificate, it's the browser that handles this part of the connection. For our iPad app, it's possible that this is your issue:

6 minutes ago, jarome said:

Emby has local network access. It died that by itself I guess. But today, the iPad app worked!

Are you all set now?