Emby server on DSM 7, DSM built-in rev. proxy, no compatibl stream iOS

Delor3an91

Delor3an91

Hi,

I encounter the exact same problem.

Delete Emby iOS app and reinstall doesn't resolve the problem 😢

I even completly delete Emby, config folders on my NAS and perform a clean install and nothing change.

Transcoding in a web browser work like a charm and is really fast but simply didn't work on iOS anymore...

Delor3an91

Hi,

I encounter the exact same problem.

Delete Emby iOS app and reinstall doesn't resolve the problem 😢

I even completly delete Emby, config folders on my NAS and perform a clean install and nothing change.

Transcoding in a web browser work like a charm and is really fast but simply didn't work on iOS anymore...

I don't use HAProxy but the Synology revese proxy built-in.

Delor3an91

Hi,

I have a Synology NAS on DSM 7, built-in reverse proxy configure for Emby and iOS devices.

Transcoding in whatever web browsers work like a charm and is really fast but simply didn't work anymore on iOS and macOS Emby app...

When my NAS was on DSM 6, I didn't have any problems.

I really need Help on this.

Best Regards

Delor3an91

HI @Luke,

The example is very simple. I can't play any file on Emby with iOS or macOS app regarding music (flac,mp3,wav) or video (mpeg, mpg, avi, mkv).

Each time I try, I've the error "No compatible stream, bla bla bla...".

If I log in to Emby with a web browser on any device (PC, phone, tablet) with Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc... All working just fine.

Which logs do you need ?

Regards

Edited by Delor3an91

Which logs do you need ?

Hi, this is all covered in my link above. Any emby server log files that were written to during the timeframe in which the problem was experienced. Thanks.

The built in proxy isn't setup to work correctly with Emby so you don't want to use it.  Either use other ports for Emby besides 80 and 443.

Synology uses an older version of nginx which in itself is ok but you need to configure the reverse proxy to work with Emby which Synology doesn't give you the ability to do so it's not ideal for our use.

I have Emby setup to return port 443 (public) but I have my router port forward 443 on the WAN side to 8920 for Emby to bypass the Synology proxy.  I can't access the Synology from outside my network this way which doesn't bother me as I use a WireGuard VPN to get into my own network if needed.

Edited by cayars

Delor3an91

Hi,

But in this case, why did it worked like a charm on DSM 6 with reverse proxy for iOS devices app’ and it’s not the case anymore with DSM 7 ?

Regards

Edited by Delor3an91

Different OS with more security built in is one possibility. But even on DSM 6 running it through the Synology proxy is limiting.

Have you tried it using Emby with it's native ports of 8096?  By that I mean opening 8096 up on the router forwarding to port 8096 to the IP Emby is running on?

That should make it clear if it is the proxy causing issue or not.

Delor3an91

Hi,

I will try but if I had done the necessary to make it work through a reverse proxy it’s not to open other ports than the 443 one…

Regards

Edited by Delor3an91

@Delor3an91 How did you make out?
If you are still having trouble let me know and I can remote in to your PC desktop and give you a hand with this.

Carlo

Delor3an91

Hi,

I’ve just start from scratch with Emby.

I used to use the beta version but now, I use the last stable.

With the beta, Emby used 15% of CPU and libraries seems broken.

I will let you know.

Regards

Delor3an91

Hi guys,

I come back just now because I’ve made some test.

Reverse proxy on Synology don’t work anymore since DSM7 with Emby.

From now, my only solution to make Emby working is to use http and direct connection. It’s unacceptable to use Emby this way for external uses.

If I chose to use https, I need to manually update the SSL certificate regarding Let’s encrypt short renew delay every 90 days, not very nice.

I’m now convince there is a problem in the iOS, tvOS and macOS release of Emby App.

Something is missing or add and should’nt in the url rewriting. That make the flux impossible to reach and connect, transcoding not to perform.

Because everything working really really fine on my reverse config proxy access way. As usual on all the functionnalities of Emby except one of the most important, the abilty to play files…

If I access Emby with my reverse proxy with a web browser whatever the device is (PC, mac, Linux,Safari iOS, Firefox, Chrome, etc…), I can play the files perfectly !

Regards

Edited by Delor3an91

Hi what do you mean URL rewriting?  You can not rewrite Emby's URLs.  If you try to do this domain.com/emby that will fail.
Instead for proxy use you use a subdomain so it would be emby.domain.com

But you can't change the path that Emby will try to process.  This will work usually for browsers but not for applications as they aren't browsers and don't follow redirects or tricks that can be played on browsers.

You can't really run Emby Server behind the build in Synology Proxy.  It's an old version of nginx and also doesn't give you manual access to the config file to make additional changed that must be done to successfully run behind a proxy.  It needs to be setup for Emby, not just a simple redirect.

In order to avoid the built in proxy you need to make sure to use ports that aren't blocked by the firewall and that aren't touched by Synology's proxy. If you have your domain setup behind a service such as Cloudflare they have alternate ports that can be used but you need to use only ports listed. Search on their site for this.

If you use a free Let's Encrypt cert it needs to be updated every 90 days which translates to every 80 to 85 days for you.  The alternate is to use a different company for the cert that will give it to your for a year or two.  I use Cloudflare with a 15 year wildcard cert so I don't have to mess with this.

BTW, if using Let's Encrypt with the  Synology proxy running normally, you probably have no chance of getting automatic updates properly as they will get hijacked.

I got tired of that with no way to turn off the internal proxy so I changed the ports Emby uses externally from 80 to 81 and from 443 to 444 giving me control over those two ports. I can then proxy to the internal apps properly or just don't use them from external locations.  I choose the second option.  I do not use the Emby connect feature either but instead run a wireguard VPN (fast) so if I'm remote and want to access anything in my home network that isn't open through the router (ie Emby) I VPN in first then have access to everything as normal.

• 2 months later...
Delor3an91

@Luke Sorry for the delay, unfortunately, no. The only solution is to use my web browser and all works web. All Emby apps' are not usable anymore with a reverse proxy on a Synology NAS running DSM 7. I can't use my AppleTV anymore.

Regards.

pir8radio
6 hours ago, Delor3an91 said:

@Luke Sorry for the delay, unfortunately, no. The only solution is to use my web browser and all works web. All Emby apps' are not usable anymore with a reverse proxy on a Synology NAS running DSM 7. I can't use my AppleTV anymore.

Regards.

most apps will not follow a 30X redirect.     and most apps require a legit signed cert..   They often wont work with some certs that have sketchy trust chains. 

Delor3an91
18 hours ago, pir8radio said:

most apps will not follow a 30X redirect.     and most apps require a legit signed cert..   They often wont work with some certs that have sketchy trust chains. 

@pir8radio Hi, I simply use the reverse proxy of my Synology NAS with a let's encrypt certificate. Everything work great with a web browser but with Emby apps, I can only browse the UI. Streaming/play a file functions give an error message : "No compatible stream, bla bla bla...".

pir8radio
On 3/8/2022 at 6:09 PM, Delor3an91 said:

@pir8radio Hi, I simply use the reverse proxy of my Synology NAS with a let's encrypt certificate. Everything work great with a web browser but with Emby apps, I can only browse the UI. Streaming/play a file functions give an error message : "No compatible stream, bla bla bla...".

how is your proxy setup?

@Delor3an91 what are you using as the URL to connect to your server?
I asked this a ways back as I want to make sure you're using the format "emby.domain.ext" and not something like "domain.ext/emby" which will not work.

If you're doing that, it would explain why all the apps fail but the browser still works.

So could you clarify that for us.  If it's not that, can you give us more info to go such as incoming ports to external ports, etc...
Or could we possibly do a remote support session and get a first hand look at your setup and try to help you out?

Carlo

• Agree 1